John Edwards - "Americans should 'sacrifice' SUVs for Env

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
So Kap, why is it we only seem to be bombing non Christian countries?

Hmm. Good point. Lets invade Mexico just to prove that we don't discriminate. Oh wait, they are already invading us!

Your hyperbole is killing me. Seriously. I can't drink anything when I read your posts anymore, because they are making me laugh that hard.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Hmm. Good point. Lets invade Mexico just to prove that we don't discriminate. Oh wait, they are already invading us!

Your hyperbole is killing me. Seriously. I can't drink anything when I read your posts anymore, because they are making me laugh that hard.

How far back do we have to go? It's a serious question. WWII? Are Christian countries just better? BTW SS, it was a post of yours months ago that pointed that out to me. I believe it was in a Rwanda thread. Funny that you would post that now.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
How far back do we have to go? It's a serious question. WWII? Are Christian countries just better? BTW SS, it was a post of yours months ago that pointed that out to me. I believe it was in a Rwanda thread. Funny that you would post that now.

let me ask you this, when was the last genocide in a Christian country?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)

It's been a very long time. So we've only had problems with non-Christian countries.

So perhaps my quote that Kap objected to is accurate after all

embrace killing people whose culture isn't like our own.

You made a statement in that thread that I thought was great. If those were white people in Rwanda we'd be there. That stuck with me, as has many of your posts. That, plus what seems like an easy fact that the GOP is generally war hawks and the Dems as doves, makes my statement valid. Maybe I should replace embrace with accept? Would that work for y'all?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
So we're living in the crusades again? Please. We're not killing people because of their culture.

Who said that? There is always more than one factor, just look at Iraq. It was the WMD we *knew* where there, it was their strict religious adherences (women's rights) to end torture, etc. We've had to stop communism, etc. But they always seem to be a different culture.

BTW, Bush seems to think we are living in a time of religious wars. :lol:

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
By true definition of genocide - Less than 70 years ago.

I hope your aren't counting the government of Germany of the 1940's as Christian.

Edit: I think Goodwin's Law is about to be invoked! don't let me down Rex Kickass! :P

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)

One could argue that the Serbs were engaging in a genocide in Srebrenica during 1992-1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_Genocide or a book "The Problem From Hell" by Samantha Power for more info (a great resource about how the term genocide came to be, examples of genocides throughout history and what the response (or lack thereof often times) was from the US and other nations.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
By true definition of genocide - Less than 70 years ago.

Events that come close to it? - Less than 15 years ago.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
One could argue that the Serbs were engaging in a genocide in Srebrenica during 1992-1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_Genocide or a book "The Problem From Hell" by Samantha Power for more info (a great resource about how the term genocide came to be, examples of genocides throughout history and what the response (or lack thereof often times) was from the US and other nations.

Check and check.

Both times the US went to help. We invaded Yugoslavia, or what was left of it, Germany, and Italy. Yugoslavia which has a very large Christian population in sectors, not to mention Italy, the home of Catholics and Germany, a Lutheran nation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
Check and check.

Both times the US went to help. We invaded Yugoslavia, or what was left of it, Germany, and Italy. Yugoslavia which has a very large Christian population in sectors, not to mention Italy, the home of Catholics and Germany, a Lutheran nation.

Except we didn't go to help in Germany because of the systemic repression of Jews. It was an afterthought. We could have done much more to stop these things during World War II than we actually did.

It's funny that you think that we went to help in Screbernica, we really didn't rush into it. It wasn't until the Kosovo issue that we rushed to help and that was through NATO. US reaction in Yugoslavian break up, like much of Eastern and Central Europe's transformation in the late 1980s and 1990s happened entirely within and had little to do with external pressure.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
Except we didn't go to help in Germany because of the systemic repression of Jews. It was an afterthought. We could have done much more to stop these things during World War II than we actually did.

It's funny that you think that we went to help in Screbernica, we really didn't rush into it. It wasn't until the Kosovo issue that we rushed to help and that was through NATO. US reaction in Yugoslavian break up, like much of Eastern and Central Europe's transformation in the late 1980s and 1990s happened entirely within and had little to do with external pressure.

How long did it take us to go into Iraq? It wasn't like we went in the Monday after a Friday night.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
How long did it take us to go into Iraq? It wasn't like we went in the Monday after a Friday night.

But...how long does it take to move 250,000 soldiers and ready the infrastructure for such an invasion?

Less than 6 months after the administration had it's excuse for the invasion, special forces units were being pulled out of Afghanistan and being told to prepare for Iraq...and at the same time, money was being transferred by the Administration (without Congressional approval i might add) to the same theater; building up pipelines and other supply lines in Kuwait. The decision to go into Iraq was made in early 02, and the preparations were underway from that point.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)

We put ourselves in Iraq. Events put us into Germany. Events put us into the former Yugoslavia, and that main event was the fear of losing the leadership and de facto primacy that we enjoy in NATO.

Our involvement in Germany had nothing to do with the Jews.

Our involvement in Yugoslavia had nothing to do with any systemic ethnic cleansing/genocide/repression.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
We put ourselves in Iraq. Events put us into Germany. Events put us into the former Yugoslavia, and that main event was the fear of losing the leadership and de facto primacy that we enjoy in NATO.

Our involvement in Germany had nothing to do with the Jews.

Our involvement in Yugoslavia had nothing to do with any systemic ethnic cleansing/genocide/repression.

Who said that it did?