Sox Challenge Angels to a Game of Baseball!

Kalapse

There probably are too many "complacent' personalities who have underachieved. Those guys should be called out by Ozzie and/or KW, who like you said, probably haven't done that.

But the original statement was about tanking.

If they are purposely "tanking" that is a major crime.

I've heard from two sources -- one on this board, one independent of -- that Ozzie is constantly calling them out for playing without any hunger, desire or energy. It just doesn't work. There are some people on this team that just have to go. And, of course, we need to bring back Aaron Rowand.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 15, 2007 -> 03:43 AM)
I've heard from two sources -- one on this board, one independent of -- that Ozzie is constantly calling them out for playing without any hunger, desire or energy. It just doesn't work. There are some people on this team that just have to go. And, of course, we need to bring back Aaron Rowand.

Interesting you mention that, because Ozzie had some words for AJP after he didn't run hard on a pop up to first base. AJ is the type of guy who wears out his welcome in places, and I wonder if it's not time to look to trade him this offseason (and obviously have to find another catcher on the market/trade).

On the other hand, with what you say, it's concerning that there's that lack of r'ship between Ozzie and the players. It's one of the main reasons that I won't be mad if we sign Rowand....I honestly believe he was the leader of that 2005 team.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
Interesting you mention that, because Ozzie had some words for AJP after he didn't run hard on a pop up to first base. AJ is the type of guy who wears out his welcome in places, and I wonder if it's not time to look to trade him this offseason (and obviously have to find another catcher on the market/trade).

I won't name names, but that doesn't sound like a stretch to me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)

On the other hand, with what you say, it's concerning that there's that lack of r'ship between Ozzie and the players. It's one of the main reasons that I won't be mad if we sign Rowand....I honestly believe he was the leader of that 2005 team.

It's not necessarily a lack of relationship or Ozzie's fault. It's a bunch of bad players, for one (especially on the bench and most of hte rookies/pen), aging veterans of varying capabilities, many of whom have grown fat and complacent because of the WS win. I told you about one of them, if you recall, and you told me a little something too.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
It's not like they've been playing great baseball. They're still losing at a rapid clip.

WHat do you mean it doesn't make sense?

Have you ever played a sport?

These guys are getting paid. You go out and do your job and play hard or you should be banned from the game for life.

People that want the No. 1 draft pick so badly baffle me.

It's not like the Sox will sign that pick anyway.

Build through free agency, and Japanese players and trade for a reliever this offseason.

In the meantime, just win baby.

I don't care whether they get the #1 pick or not, but when you suck, you suck. Have you ever seen a team play .400 ball from April-August and then play .800 ball in September? I bet there are cases, but is it common? After thinking about this further, the White Sox may be an exeption to this due to the talent on the team. on the subject of tanking, I think that all drafts in sports should be set up similar to the NBA and NHL, but since the NFL and MLB have only 12 and 8 teams make the playoffs respectively, then the 10 worst teams should enter a lottery where each team has a 10% chance of getting the top pick. each pick goes to the ping pong ball that was pulled out. This way there is no reason to tank. If the talent on your team is that bad, then your team should have a shot at the top pick anyway. The NHL has a minor league system and they have a lotto, so why shouldn't major league baseball?

Edited by southsida86

Best thread title ever!

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 07:35 PM)
Hawk's going to set a record for complaining about the umps tonight. I can't blame him though, Eric Cooper is the least respected umpire in baseball.

I told my mom the other day that in honor of Bruce Froeming retiring, all umpires across MLB have sucked all year to honor him!