Brian Anderson Helps Homeless

Heads22

I'm being equal opportunity and all. :)

Fires send Anderson back to Tucson

Center fielder offers supplies for victims

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Brian Anderson planned to return home to Tucson from San Diego this past weekend in order to attend a concert with his younger sister.

But the tragic California wildfires sent the White Sox Minor Leaguer back to Arizona a few days earlier.

Although Anderson's residence in Pacific Beach, located just 10 miles from one of the fires in San Diego, was not damaged, he could feel the after-effects of the ongoing blazes.

"It was not healthy breathing in the air," said Anderson, who mentioned how his car was so covered in ash that it looked as if a volcano had exploded. "You look in the sky here [in Tucson], and it's a beautiful blue. Out there, it was a tinted brown, and that's never how San Diego looks.

"I live 10 miles away, but it seemed like two feet with the clouds of smoke. I really feel bad for the people who lost their houses."

Anderson did more than just feel sorrow for those touched by the disaster, joining with a few of his friends to purchase cases of water and men's and women's toiletries to deliver to Qualcomm Stadium where the fire evacuees temporarily were staying. Anderson's group was turned away because they already had enough supplies at the Stadium, but they were able to deliver the goods instead to an area near Point Loma.

"They gave us options," Anderson said. "I'm just glad people were able to use it all."

Good for Brian. I wish him the best. He got completely screwed by the Sox organization and I hope he goes somewhere else and kicks ass.

I'm not saying he didn't put himself in a spot where he ended up deserving some of the heat he took but at the same time, the Sox could have handled things a lot better.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
This kid is going to make some other team's fans very happy. I agree. He has been jerked around here.

BA was the 'on the rebound' CF after rowand... expectations were too high on him. not surprising he's been left out to dry

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 06:45 PM)
This kid is going to make some other team's fans very happy. I agree. He has been jerked around here.

You may be 100% correct about this, but in the mean time he has been acting like the spoiled brat pampered athlete that seems to be so prevelant in the NBA. Now, if he sincerely got over his pity party and then just got injured at an inopportune time then maybe he's grown up. BA has to show me something before I believe he's more than a self annointed prima donna.

And how did the rest of his teammates feel about Anderson's attempts at the ultimate "honey''? Minutes later, Anderson was thrown in the pool by Buehrle, with Wilkinson the one who set him up for the attack.

"Brian, you make the major-league minimum, and Hef makes that in one day,'' one teammate said. "Do you think she'll leave this mansion to come and live with you and your folks in Tucson?''

That was also the end of the afternoon, though the dripping-wet Anderson did get a nice robe as a consolation prize.