40-Man Additions

Calderon

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
With the White Sox.

As was discussed on this site yesterday, the Sox may have already had an agreement with him on a contract, and hence no pressing need to put him on the 40 man.

I am very grateful for that, now all we need is to ship off cintron(most likely release him as I doubt he has any value) and Uribe to fill in those spots with cheaper, younger, better talent.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
I kind of doubt that, given that Lucy threw out nearly 50% of runners against in 2007. That's a very high rate. I don't know Armstrong's numbers, because MILB doesn't publish that stat (I only know Lucy's because he is an AAP of mine and I did a quick count from the box scores). But anything higher than that would be extraordinary.

I think you need to re-check your math.

Lucy (BIR) 39cs-115att = 34%

Lucy (CHA) 9-25 = 36%

Lucy (Total) 48-140 = 34%

Armstrong (WS) 29-90 = 32%

Armstrong (BIR) 9-21 = 43%

Armstrong (Total) 38-111 = 34%

I'd give Armstrong a slight benefit of the doubt assuming that the W-S pitchers are less skilled at holding runners on. Granted, the base-stealers aren't as skilled there either, but I think they still have the advantage on the pitchers.

QUOTE(Calderon @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)

Lucy (CHA) 9-25 = 36%

I'd give Armstrong a slight benefit of the doubt assuming that the W-S pitchers are less skilled at holding runners on. Granted, the base-stealers aren't as skilled there either, but I think they still have the advantage on the pitchers.

Where did you get those numbers? I've been looking for a reliable place to find those stats for some time.

That's good to see that Armstrong can throw guys out too. Like I said, I know very little of his defense.

I had Lucy's number in the low 40's - not sure why it was that much different. Does a pick-off by the catcher count as a CS?

QUOTE(Calderon @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)

Lucy (CHA) 9-25 = 36%

Also, a fun little stat - Lucy was stolen against successfully by the first 14 straight who attempted to steal. Then all of a sudden he started throwing guys out. He must have made some sort of adjustment.

2008 will be a key year for both of them. Lucy needs to hit semi-well in Charlotte to be looked at as a possible MLB catcher. Armstrong, if he hits well in B-Ham, since he's 2 years younger but only 1 level behind Lucy, could jump the line.

A couple of other little interesting notes on Cole Armstrong...

We actually got him in the Rule 5 Draft (minor league phase) from the Braves.

His real first name in Melville. Cole is his middle name.

And a couple of not so interesting facts...

He's spent the last two years at Winston-Salem

In 5 minor league seasons his offensive numbers: .255 BA / .320 OBP / .713 OPS.

Whoa.... what in hell earned him a spot on the 40-man roster???

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
A couple of other little interesting notes on Cole Armstrong...

We actually got him in the Rule 5 Draft (minor league phase) from the Braves.

His real first name in Melville. Cole is his middle name.

And a couple of not so interesting facts...

He's spent the last two years at Winston-Salem

In 5 minor league seasons his offensive numbers: .255 BA / .320 OBP / .713 OPS.

Whoa.... what in hell earned him a spot on the 40-man roster???

His 2007 bat and the complete lack of catchers in the system.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
His 2007 bat and the complete lack of catchers in the system.

Well... let's hope it doesn't take him 2 years in AA to hit well enough to earn a promotion to Charlotte.

BTW - in his last year of college at Kansas... his offensive line - .260/.299/.630. And that was a full season.

Edited by scenario

The Sox added pitchers Jack Egbert, Adam Russell and Lucas Harrell and catcher Cole Armstrong to the 40-man roster, which is now full.

So are the Sox done for this offseason? /jumps out the window.

Seriously, since KW is hell bent on making more moves, this indicates he's going to have to dump some more useless junk (hopefully Uribe, Gonzalez and Hall.)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
So are the Sox done for this offseason? /jumps out the window.

No... they just had to submit a roster to MLB showing who they were going to protect from the Rule 5 draft. So, of course, you fill up all your spots. (And if you don't have enough spots, you move people, like Pods, to create openings for players you want to keep rather than expose to the draft.)

But that doesn't stop them from making moves. If they sign Torii Hunter for example, they would probably release someone like Andy Gonzalez who is unlikely to be picked up by another team, and then resign him after he clears.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
Where did you get those numbers? I've been looking for a reliable place to find those stats for some time.

I've got a friend that works for an Eastern League club, and he was nice enough to share his log-in information to the official Minor League Baseball stats site.

Edited by Calderon