GM says Sox have options (Chicago Sports.com article)

sox-r-us

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua's Rec Specs @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
Aaron Rowan will be a white sox by the end of the weekend. I have sources

sources? multiple? Inside the organization, or otherwise?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm very curious. That would be big news, obviously. And this is kind of out of the blue.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)

Sorry for the questions, but I'm very curious. That would be big news, obviously. And this is kind of out of the blue.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that his source is not Joe Cowley.

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)

started inside and leaked outside

it was passed on from a number of people and got to me. When i heard who it came from it did not sound so far fetched. But im sure many of you think im bs (so be it), but i believe its gonna happen before the meetings.

I heard it from a chain of people. but these people seem quite reliable.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua's Rec Specs @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)

it was passed on from a number of people and got to me. When i heard who it came from it did not sound so far fetched. But im sure many of you think im bs (so be it), but i believe its gonna happen before the meetings.

Fair enough. Thanks for answering and not being evasive, I appreciate that.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua's Rec Specs @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'll believe it when I see it. I hope you're right. I don't want Owens or Crisp out there.

Edited by spawn

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua's Rec Specs @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)

We could sure use him, so I hope you and your source are right.

Interesting thoughts. Chatter in Bridgeport is Sox mgmt. and Landis are talking (agent).

Of course, chatter in Bridgeport and $3.50 nets a gallon of gas at 31st and Halsted.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
I was listening to Steve Stone earlier and he said KW should get with the Mets and try to get Carlos Gomez from them. Anyone know much about this kid?

Stud. Jose Reyes says he's the one guy he can't out-race. You want speed, he's got more than 99.9% of the world.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
Stud. Jose Reyes says he's the one guy he can't out-race. You want speed, he's got more than 99.9% of the world.

Personally, I think he is a bit over-hyped. Looks like Jerry Owens with a little more developed stick to me...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Personally, I think he is a bit over-hyped. Looks like Jerry Owens with a little more developed stick to me...

While people are (rightfully) questioning Owens' hitting ability, its sometimes forgotten that Owens isn't just fast - he is also a very good basestealer, especially for being so new to the league.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)

Except Gomez is 21 and Owens is 26. Gomez's tools are better than Owens across the board. Gomez is still a bit raw, but he's going to be a good player.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
I think it's 95% right now that at least one of them will be.

I don't think there would be anyone more ticked off than KW if Owens or Anderson was the starting CF for the 2008 White Sox. As far as Rowand, if the story Cowley wrote was true, maybe Plan 1 was Rowand at a certain price, plan 1-A was Hunter, and since they couldn't get Hunter, maybe 1-B is to pay Rowand more than what they wanted to pay him in plan 1. Who knows, but Anderson is a smoke screen. He's been injured since July when he was playing in Charlotte. KW is supposedly trying to win a championship. Using him as a fallback doesn't jive with trying to win it all, and I am a BA fan. Ozzie said don't believe what you see in September with non contenders. Before that Owens was hitting .239 with a weak OBP and even weaker Slg. pct. KW isn't going to pencil him into the everyday line-up either, no matter how much he talks him up. A fourth or fifth OF is what he is and KW and Ozzie know it. If he's still with the organization, he's a good guy to have on the bench because of his speed.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
Except Gomez is 21 and Owens is 26. Gomez's tools are better than Owens across the board. Gomez is still a bit raw, but he's going to be a good player.

Right, their ages are the big difference. However, the time they have both been playing professional baseball is very similar.

That conceded, they've got extremely similar builds. Gomez is 6'4 195, Owens 6'3 190. They've got similar minor league numbers. Gomez possessing a .704 OPS and Owens a .724 OPS. However, Owens has taken more walks throughout his minor and major league careers.

I like Gomez as a prospect- his speed is incredible. But I'm just not convinced that he will hit as well as some think will be the case.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
While people are (rightfully) questioning Owens' hitting ability, its sometimes forgotten that Owens isn't just fast - he is also a very good basestealer, especially for being so new to the league.

Rowand/Owens in CF/LF and Dye would be a pretty decent OF for the next few years. With Fields in LF this year, Owens could be eased in as a fourth OF. As long as they don't give Hunter money to Aaron, I'd be all for it.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Rowand/Owens in CF/LF and Dye would be a pretty decent OF for the next few years. With Fields in LF this year, Owens could be eased in as a fourth OF. As long as they don't give Hunter money to Aaron, I'd be all for it.

KW pretty much mentioned a couple of times that Fields won't be out in LF next year. Either Fields is dealt as a part of a monster blockbuster deal for Miggy Cabrera or Crede is dealt. Both won't be on the team next year.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Right, their ages are the big difference. However, the time they have both been playing professional baseball is very similar.

That conceded, they've got extremely similar builds. Gomez is 6'4 195, Owens 6'3 190. They've got similar minor league numbers. Gomez possessing a .704 OPS and Owens a .724 OPS. However, Owens has taken more walks throughout his minor and major league careers.

I like Gomez as a prospect- his speed is incredible. But I'm just not convinced that he will hit as well as some think will be the case.

Are we really comparing Jerry Owens to Carlos Gomez? Yes they have similar games, but one has faaaaaaaaar better tools. Neither is established.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Are we really comparing Jerry Owens to Carlos Gomez? Yes they have similar games, but one has faaaaaaaaar better tools. Neither is established.

How could you possibly say that? From what little we've seen from Gomez, how can you tell us definitively that he's going to be any better than Jerry Owens will be? Their body of work up to this point is nearly identical.

Obviously there is the age difference. But you certainly cannot claim the two players cannot be compared because of that.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
KW pretty much mentioned a couple of times that Fields won't be out in LF next year. Either Fields is dealt as a part of a monster blockbuster deal for Miggy Cabrera or Crede is dealt. Both won't be on the team next year.

Sure, assuming that Kenny isn't blowing smoke up our arses. I have a really difficult time believing that he'll trade Fields. Dude has really good power, can play 3B, and costs nothing. And what's Crede worth on the FA market right now?

"It doesn't have to be a center fielder. We can stay with [Jerry] Owens in center field. We still have Ryan Sweeney. We still have Brian Anderson. We may choose to go the left-field route, or we may choose to move one of those guys to left field and plug in a center fielder. So we've got a lot of flexibility."

My heart just sank. If we end up with Owens playing center I might officially denounce KW.

Edited by TheBigHurt