So now what?

soxfan3530

Considering he can also play SS, and we just happen to be 1 year away from needing one of those also, that would continue to make that an excellent signing. If Ramirez could play both Cf and SS, then we'd have at least 1 of those holes filled and that would dramatically expand our options in 09.

The Sox have a hole at SS? When did a GG and .300 ave become a hole?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
I'd rather have him than Pierre, no doubt about it.

considering the dollars for sure....fathom i know youve been advocating a hamilton acquisition....i like the idea, but what do you think it would take it get it done? it seems to me the reds are in a win now mode...and in the NL i certainly dont blame them...one or two acquisitions can put you in the thick of things (am i the only one who thinks houston actually has a shot...tejada lee and berkman is a pretty solid core, especially pence comes back strong)...but what do we have to offer them? they will undoubtedly want major league ready pitching, but what ready pitching can we afford to give them without crippling our own staff?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
considering the dollars for sure....fathom i know youve been advocating a hamilton acquisition....i like the idea, but what do you think it would take it get it done? it seems to me the reds are in a win now mode...and in the NL i certainly dont blame them...one or two acquisitions can put you in the thick of things (am i the only one who thinks houston actually has a shot...tejada lee and berkman is a pretty solid core, especially pence comes back strong)...but what do we have to offer them? they will undoubtedly want major league ready pitching, but what ready pitching can we afford to give them without crippling our own staff?

No idea, but I'm sure they'd be interested in Danks or Gio.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Wasn't he hurt or pulled himself out of that due to getting situated with his family? I can't remember everything involved, but there was somethign going on.

Like I told Fathom - please show me something different. I can't find anything else on the guy but positive. I would love to see more. If you have other information then please show it to me. Thank you.

I've seen quotes from various people in baseball (I believe the one I recall the most was from someone in the Indians organization) who said he had a nice skillset and some promising upside. By no means am I saying that makes him a sure fire bet to succeed this year but it would give the Sox more talent and I'm all for that. I also assume the price is going to be relatively low so you have the whole risk/reward thing going for you potentially.

Alexei Ramirez would be my bet for our next CF other than Jerry Owens.

Having Ramirez platoon with Richar and Owens (if we didn't acquire Chris Burke for example), wouldn't be the worst scenario I suppose.

As for the trade market, Hamilton's name has obviously been brought up, Nate McLouth could be another option.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
Here is another option: Jason Tyner. How about one of the little piranhas coming over to join the White Sox and help out in CF. I don't know how good he can be or is, but he always played good against us and was non-tendered by the Twins. What do you guys think about him?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
Here is another option: Jason Tyner. How about one of the little piranhas coming over to join the White Sox and help out in CF. I don't know how good he can be or is, but he always played good against us and was non-tendered by the Twins. What do you guys think about him?

i think hes jerry owens, but worse and miraculously with less power

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
No idea, but I'm sure they'd be interested in Danks or Gio.

Would one of those guys alone get a deal done for Hamilton or are we talking about a ridiculous package. I'd consider dealing Hamilton for one very good prospect but I don't know if I'd start going crazy packaging people. I'd prefer to put up an offer of one of the starting pitching prospects (preferably one not name Gio/Danks but I'd probably give up Gio before Danks) as well as Sweeney or Anderson.

I know talent for talent wise it isn't a great deal from the Reds side of things but I just can't see giving up a ton of talent for a guy with that type of checkered past. However, I would be incredibly excited if the club picked Hamilton up since he is a super talented player.

Would one of those guys alone get a deal done for Hamilton or are we talking about a ridiculous package. I'd consider dealing Hamilton for one very good prospect but I don't know if I'd start going crazy packaging people. I'd prefer to put up an offer of one of the starting pitching prospects (preferably one not name Gio/Danks but I'd probably give up Gio before Danks) as well as Sweeney or Anderson.

I know talent for talent wise it isn't a great deal from the Reds side of things but I just can't see giving up a ton of talent for a guy with that type of checkered past. However, I would be incredibly excited if the club picked Hamilton up since he is a super talented player.

I agree. I would be very excited about an acquisition of Hamilton. I would like to get both Hamilton and Alexei Ramirez to be honest. You then have Ramirez play in the minors for a year and hopefully become your SS next year and have Hamilton play CF. That would be one hell of a core of young position players if everything works out nicely.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)

i personally think danks has much higher trade value than people on here think....hes still only 22 years old and was considered a top 50 prospect in baseball 1 year ago...he was pushed pretty hard through the ranks in texas and probably sohuld have had a full year at AAA....either way he proved he can pitch at this level, its just a matter of finding thats consistency that young pitchers so often struggle to achieve...nonetheless hes still a good bet to win a dozen ball games for each of the next 4 years while making dirt.....thats pretty good value, especially for a team like cincy

i personally think danks has much higher trade value than people on here think....hes still only 22 years old and was considered a top 50 prospect in baseball 1 year ago...he was pushed pretty hard through the ranks in texas and probably sohuld have had a full year at AAA....either way he proved he can pitch at this level, its just a matter of finding thats consistency that young pitchers so often struggle to achieve...nonetheless hes still a good bet to win a dozen ball games for each of the next 4 years while making dirt.....thats pretty good value, especially for a team like cincy

Good post. I am not sure I would want to trade Danks for Hamilton though.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
Good post. I am not sure I would want to trade Danks for Hamilton though.

me neither...especially considering the question marks surrounding our rotation...we need those innings for cheap from a young guy too....if you ask me danks' career has left handed jon garland written all over it

What's disheartening about acquiring Hamilton, we could of gotten him this time last season.

Would have solved a few problems we're facing now.

Because he smokes crack! And he's probably on steroids. No chance I would trade Danks, gio, floyd or anyone else with a future for the addict.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
What's disheartening about acquiring Hamilton, we could of gotten him this time last season.

Would have solved a few problems we're facing now.

lol i believe the cubs are the team that got him in the rule 5, and they then traded him to cincy...ill bet theyd rather have him than paying 50 mil to a player who hasnt played on this side of the pacific before