The Talent "Pool" Revealed

aboz56

Dear god....are they nuts.

Webster on that list.  Why the hell is Rauch ranked ahead of them.  Glad to see Cotts off of it, but Webster is a 5 tool guy thats hitting and has a future with the Sox. 

Rauch is hurt right now.

Yep, just placed on the DL.

Info please!

Shoulder... Not expected to be serious. Back in 7-10 days, most likely.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Webster does not have more upside than Reed. I saw the guy up close this spring, not a good arm, no power, no potential of power with the swing he has. He is a quick (not a burner), athletic singles hitter who plays ok D with ability to be a good CF. I do not project Reed as a CF, more like a LF, but I take Reed over him any day.

Webster is a legitimate 5-tool projection, but after following him the entire season, I find it highly doubtful he will delevop the power some people have mentioned. Webster is much more athletic than Reed, so many believe he could become a much better version of Reggie Abercrombie with better plate discipline and less power. Webster's projectability makes him have a bigger upside than Reed. Reed, on the other hand, doesn't really have any need to grow in any aspect of game, with the exception of his power numbers, maybe. Reed is a very solid gap-to-gap hitter, but I don't know if those doubles will ever become homers.

At the beginning of the season, Reed was far behind Webster, but I think it's vice-versa right about now. Reed's plate discipline is just the icing on the cake.

I take Reed over Webster simply because the stats. Reed is a very good athlete himself and is putting up awesome numbers and is going to be a good major leaguer.

Dealing Reed would of ticked me off a lot more then losing Webster. Webster may have raw ability but he's yet to put up anywhere near as good of numbers as Reed. Webster is really young though and does have some good upside, but a lot can happen.

I am a pretty big fan of Webster cause he has shown good discipline for a guy his age (Reeds discipline is amazing; You could call him Youkilis Greek God of Walks :)

and I am with those that like Nanita quite a bit. The kid has just as much upside as Webster if not more. We dealt one raw guy but in the draft added another, and did it in the 14th round if I recall.

Webster is a legitimate 5-tool projection, but after following him the entire season, I find it highly doubtful he will delevop the power some people have mentioned. Webster is much more athletic than Reed, so many believe he could become a much better version of Reggie Abercrombie with better plate discipline and less power. Webster's projectability makes him have a bigger upside than Reed. Reed, on the other hand, doesn't really have any need to grow in any aspect of game, with the exception of his power numbers, maybe. Reed is a very solid gap-to-gap hitter, but I don't know if those doubles will ever become homers.

At the beginning of the season, Reed was far behind Webster, but I think it's vice-versa right about now. Reed's plate discipline is just the icing on the cake.

My own prediction with Reed is that he will be a solid power hitter, somewhere around 20 homers a season.

He'll be a really good 2 or 3 hole hitter, imo. I still really think he's a similar guy to Erstad. Does everything good and is going to be a fan favorite.

I still think he'll be a starter at some point next year, depending on the situation. Guys that draw walks and have a good eye as well as speed, tend to advance much quicker and have a quicker learning curve.

Would someone please explain to me what a 5 tool player is?

Does that mean they hit for avg, power, can steal, field, and get on base?

nobody kow what it means

guys just like to call other guys "five tools" ;) :o :lol:

Would someone please explain to me what a 5 tool player is?

Does that mean they hit for avg, power, can steal, field, and get on base?

Average, Speed, Fielding, Arm strength, Power

with anderson in the fold, i can see how webster is trade bait. but i still would like to protect him. you can never have too many prospects. one can never tell who can develop or not.

pitching is the strong part for us to use as trade but only a few that i would part with.

with anderson in the fold, i can see how webster is trade bait. but i still would like to protect him. you can never have too many prospects. one can never tell who can develop or not.

pitching is the strong part for us to use as trade but only a few that i would part with.

I very much agree with this statement. I'd much rather have 5 or 6 very good young OFers in the minors then having 1 or 2 if my team is in the race and needs to add an extra part or two. You could probably get teams on the bubble, like a KC, a Toronto, a Montreal, a Chicago(NL, of course), an Arizona, etc....to give in quicker because of the pure ability of these players. That can work to your advantage, because if a team, like for example, Toronto, has been giving you fits all year, and you are afraid you may have to play them in the postseason if they stay in it, dangling two very good prospcts in front of their noses might just get them to bite and give in.

That's why I'd actually like to keep Webster instead of giving him up.

But hey, whatever works, I guess.

With this list of players, we could have gotten Beltran.

You knew Hart was going to get a top list of players to choose from.

Top list?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooo-kay.

double, we actually agree for once......

I thought this list is somewhat weak for what I thought it might have been. Hell, if they let us pick the players, we could give them 4 guys from this list and not miss a beat.

Don't get me wrong, there is talent on this list, but the Sox have better.

Whether or not to trade prospects for aging veterans is always a difficult decision. Look back, Sox fans, Bill Veeck traded off Johnny Callison, Earl Battey and Norm Cash for "key" veterans. We watched those guys star for years with the Phillies, Twins and Tigers, respectively. It didn't work out that time around. So, yes, you can get bit by doing this.

However, you can also end up in a perpetual state developing prospects and them losing them to free agancy when there time comes. See Montreal for an example of that scenario.

The theory being put in practice here is to load up on minor league talent, keep the cream of the crop, and then use the rest as trade bait to get the ever elusive missing piece to the puzzle. This, to me, seems like a pretty sound plan. I certainly don't want to trade a World Series championship so that A-Web can win Rookie of the Year in a Sox uniform in 2006. I know the Series isn't a gaurantee, but the odds of it happening do not appear to be as long as it was before these trades were made.

Top list?

I thought this list is somewhat weak for what I thought it might have been. Hell, if they let us pick the players, we could give them 4 guys from this list and not miss a beat.

Well I don't really care anymore if they take Ruddy Yan cause I am convinced he'll never hit enough to turn into an everyday major leaguer.

Josh Rupe is the only guy on that list that I'd like to keep and I'm guessing he's the one guy the Rangers really want. But I can live with that.

Also, to get Beltran we'd have two give up Webster, Honel, and Cotts or something like that.

Top list?

Well I don't really care anymore if they take Ruddy Yan cause I am convinced he'll never hit enough to turn into an everyday major leaguer.

Josh Rupe is the only guy on that list that I'd like to keep and I'm guessing he's the one guy the Rangers really want. But I can live with that.

Also, to get Beltran we'd have two give up Webster, Honel, and Cotts or something like that.

in addition to that, boras is his agent. you know as well as i do that the sox will not get a player who is represented by boras, unless it will be for a season.

ref to webster he may not develop as msf has said, but he still may be a viable prospect.

In addition to that, boras is his agent. you know as well as i do that the sox will not get a player who is represented by boras, unless it will be for a season.

Isn't Boras Joe Crede's agent? I thought I heard that somewhere. If so, is he the only Sox player with him as his agent?

Guest hotsoxchick1
In addition to that, boras is his agent. you know as well as i do that the sox will not get a player who is represented by boras, unless it will be for a season.

Isn't Boras Joe Crede's agent? I thought I heard that somewhere. If so, is he the only Sox player with him as his agent?

as far as i know boras is not credes agent.....and if he were credes life expectancy here would slim ...........jr does not like to deal with boras......

Dear god....are they nuts.

Webster on that list.  Why the hell is Rauch ranked ahead of them.  Glad to see Cotts off of it, but Webster is a 5 tool guy thats hitting and has a future with the Sox. 

Rauch is hurt right now.

Yep, just placed on the DL.

Info please!

Shoulder... Not expected to be serious. Back in 7-10 days, most likely.

f***ing labrum. Because of that, he'll probably always have shoulder problems :angry: .