The Talent "Pool" Revealed

aboz56

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take this the wrong way but I am more than excited to see Carl Everett then Anthony Webster. I understand that Webster may be the next so and so but he is in 'A' ball and when everything pans out he may not gets past 'AA.' In the grand scheme of things how many prospects actually make it to the majors (Lee, Rowand, Ordonez, Crede, Thomas, Buerhle, Wright,) this is more than most organizations.

I would trade a position player almost any day in this situation but don't like to do so with pitching as injuries can impact the pitching of an organization. I think Reed and Anderson make this deal good/great for the Sox. Everett leads the Sox in RBI.

I don't mind giving up on a guy like Malone, who only is going to succeed somewhere else. Losing a Yan or a Webster would be rough.

With prospects there is a lot of guesswork. To make this move we had to take a chance. So we did.

I like how the ESPN game story on the Sox/Twins game didn't mention our dramatic win or sweep. All it mentioned was 'Alomar and Everett struggle.'

By Teddy Greenstein

Tribune staff reporter

July 2, 2003, 11:18 PM CDT

The White Sox will have to pay only the pro-rated minimum salary of $150,000 for Carl Everett's services this season.

They'll pay a far stiffer price in terms of the two or three prospects they surrender to Texas in the deal.

The Rangers have until July 25 to choose from two pools of players. If they select a player from the top pool, they get only one other choice. If they choose from the second pool, they will get three picks.

Sox general manager Ken Williams said he presented the "pool" idea to Rangers general manager John Hart.

"You have to get creative when … there is a stalemate," Williams said. "I appreciated John's willingness to think outside the box."

The Sox would not release the names of any of the eight players from which the Rangers can pick, but a major-league source disclosed the list late Wednesday.

Six players are in Class A ball. One is at Triple-A Charlotte. The other is at Double-A Birmingham.

The biggest name, according to the source, is outfielder Anthony Webster, whom Baseball America ranked as the organization's No. 3 prospect.

The 20-year-old Webster is batting .297 for Kannapolis and ranks second in the Class A South Atlantic League in both runs scored (58) and hits (87).

Another player believed to be available is pitcher Felix Diaz, who's 3-5 with a 3.71 ERA at Charlotte. The Sox acquired Diaz from San Francisco last July in the Kenny Lofton trade.

Baseball America ranks him eighth, two spots behind Corwin Malone, a left-hander who's also said to be on the list.

Malone, who has faltered since posting a 1.98 ERA in three minor-league stops in 2001, is 2-2 with a 7.16 ERA at Birmingham.

The rest of the list, according to the source:

Second baseman/outfielder Ruddy Yan: Leads the Carolina League in runs scored (62), stolen bases (45) and hits (87) and ranks seventh in average (.304).

Pitcher Wyatt Allen: 5-3 with a 3.29 ERA at Winston-Salem. Ranked 24th among organization's prospects.

Pitcher Josh Rupe: 4-3 with a 5.09 ERA at Kannapolis. Ranked 26th by Baseball America.

Pitcher Frankie Francisco: 5-3 with a 4.11 at Winston-Salem. Ranked 29th.

Pitcher Rick Hummel: 2-3 with a 1.47 at Kannapolis.

As reported in the Dallas news:

They will get two or three prospects from a group of eight minor leaguers agreed upon by the Rangers and White Sox. If they go for a top prospect, Texas will get two players. If they opt for more mid-level prospects, they get three.

That pool could include:

• Right-hander Rick Hummel, 22, who is 1-0 with a 0.39 ERA at Class A Kannapolis;

• Right-hander Frankie Francisco, 23, who is 3-2, 2.95 at Class A Winston Salem;

• Left-hander Corwin Malone, 23, who is 2-2, 7.16 at Double-A Birmingham;

• Left-handed hitting outfielder/leadoff type Anthony Webster, 20, hitting .297 with 18 steals at Class A Kannapolis.

"While not everybody may be one of the their top prospects, we should be able to get a package that's intriguing," Rangers assistant general manager Grady Fuson said. "The best part is this deal still gives us time to go back and take a couple more looks at some of these guys."

well, we knew everett wouldn't come free...but you have to play for now.

I really liked this Webster guy too, oh well.

He isn't gone yet. And the Rangers really don't need another bat. So I would not be suprised if they DON"T pick him

Speculating is gonna kill you guys :lol:

exactly right CK, no use speculating and having nervous breakdowns ...

You have to assume the Sox will lose someone good in any deal, especially if they talked Texas into paying the bulk of Everett's salary.

There have been tons of "can't-miss" prospects who HAVE missed. Prospect speculation is like gambling, anyway.

I'm just glad that a Chicago team has decided to try to win NOW instead of dangling "the kids" in front of our faces or trying to do it on the cheap.

The division is there for the taking, and to overstate the obvious, you can't win the World Series if you don't make the playoffs.

The Sox still have promising guys in their system, so I like the moves to try to win now.

We could have the next Rocco Baldelli on our hands here, only he'd probably be better.  You wanna give that up for Carl Everett?  I don't care if he does or doesn't pan out....it's too big a risk.

Then again, anyone can be the next Rocco Baldelli, or even the next Albert Pujols. It might be someone in our organization that we've never even heard of. We just cant speculate on these things, theres always a big risk factor.

It could have been worse than Webster though, just be glad it wasnt Cotts or Honel.

According to mlb.com radio this morning...

If the Rangers elect to take Webster and Yan, that is all they get. If they choose to take 1 of those guys, they would then be able to take 2 of the other remaining guys. The Rangers need pitching so I think they will opt to take the Wesbter/Yan and 2 prospects. They may want pitching so bad that they may choose to take 3 pitchers. I'm not terribly upset with this list. In my opinion, Webster would be the greatest loss. We went outfield heavy in the first few rounds of the draft which should ease the blow if the Rangers take Webster.

According to mlb.com radio this morning...

If the Rangers elect to take Webster and Yan, that is all they get.  If they choose to take 1 of those guys, they would then be able to take 2 of the other remaining guys.  The Rangers need pitching so I think they will opt to take the Wesbter/Yan and 2 prospects.  They may want pitching so bad that they may choose to take 3 pitchers.  I'm not terribly upset with this list.  In my opinion, Webster would be the greatest loss.  We went outfield heavy in the first few rounds of the draft which should ease the blow if the Rangers take Webster.

I think they take Yan over Webster because they need a 2nd baseman more than an outfielder.

I'm going to cry.

My boy A-Web in a Rangers Uni? Screw that. But, to be honest, after seeing the emergence of Jeremy Reed and the drafting of Anderson, Nanita, etc, seeing Webster go wouldn't be that bad.

I don't know why the Rangers would want Webster, though. They need pitching really bad, and the only decent/good prospect on that list is Webster.

I'm tired of potential. I'd rather have a guy that will produce in the mlb than someone who may produce. With free agency and all the bulls*** getting three to five season's in the ml from a guy is pretty good. Why waste time on a A or AA or AAA when you can make a move to help a team trying to win now. We have a draft every year and a few guys are going to turn heads in A, a couple in AA and a couple in AAA, maybe one or two will play for the ml club. After 30+ years of watching this, especially after free agency, develop your minor league talent enough to trade for a current producer.

you say there are 2 lists?

one list they can choose 2 players from or they can choose 3 from the 2nd list?

is neil cotts or kris honel on either of those lists?

if we give up either of those guys i might not of done the trade

i would of tried to send them rauch and someone else instead of either honel/cotts

yet if we traded cotts you have to ask yourself if you would have traded fouke and joe valentine(getting rocked this year i believe) for koch and everett

That was the full list and a few of those players are on the A list and I think 5 are on the B list.

I'm assuming Webster, if he is in fact on the list would be an A guy.

I'm going to cry.

My boy A-Web in a Rangers Uni? Screw that. But, to be honest, after seeing the emergence of Jeremy Reed and the drafting of Anderson, Nanita, etc, seeing Webster go wouldn't be that bad.

I don't know why the Rangers would want Webster, though. They need pitching really bad, and the only decent/good prospect on that list is Webster.

You see how Bryan Anderson hit for the cycle yesterday Mike?

Dear god....are they nuts.

Webster on that list.  Why the hell is Rauch ranked ahead of them.  Glad to see Cotts off of it, but Webster is a 5 tool guy thats hitting and has a future with the Sox. 

Rauch is hurt right now.

Webster on that list.  Why the hell is Rauch ranked ahead of them.  Glad to see Cotts off of it, but Webster is a 5 tool guy thats hitting and has a future with the Sox. 

Rauch is hurt right now.

Yep, just placed on the DL.

Rauch is hurt right now.

Yep, just placed on the DL.

Info please!

I'm going to cry.

You see how Bryan Anderson hit for the cycle yesterday Mike?

Yeah, but Nanita is my boy. FIU for life, baby!

since when is webster better then josh reed?

reed has batted .300 + everywhere he plays

he seems to be able to really hit the ball

webster is batting below .300 and i havnt heard much about his power statistics

i'd give up an outfeilder like webster for a proven guy like carl anyday

he is on pace to hit about 35 hr's

even if webster makes it to the majors sometime in his career(which is a long shot for anybody in A) would he be hitting 30+ hr's?