The Talent "Pool" Revealed

aboz56

By Teddy Greenstein

Tribune staff reporter

July 2, 2003, 11:18 PM CDT

The White Sox will have to pay only the pro-rated minimum salary of $150,000 for Carl Everett's services this season.

They'll pay a far stiffer price in terms of the two or three prospects they surrender to Texas in the deal.

The Rangers have until July 25 to choose from two pools of players. If they select a player from the top pool, they get only one other choice. If they choose from the second pool, they will get three picks.

Sox general manager Ken Williams said he presented the "pool" idea to Rangers general manager John Hart.

"You have to get creative when … there is a stalemate," Williams said. "I appreciated John's willingness to think outside the box."

The Sox would not release the names of any of the eight players from which the Rangers can pick, but a major-league source disclosed the list late Wednesday.

Six players are in Class A ball. One is at Triple-A Charlotte. The other is at Double-A Birmingham.

The biggest name, according to the source, is outfielder Anthony Webster, whom Baseball America ranked as the organization's No. 3 prospect.

The 20-year-old Webster is batting .297 for Kannapolis and ranks second in the Class A South Atlantic League in both runs scored (58) and hits (87).

Another player believed to be available is pitcher Felix Diaz, who's 3-5 with a 3.71 ERA at Charlotte. The Sox acquired Diaz from San Francisco last July in the Kenny Lofton trade.

Baseball America ranks him eighth, two spots behind Corwin Malone, a left-hander who's also said to be on the list.

Malone, who has faltered since posting a 1.98 ERA in three minor-league stops in 2001, is 2-2 with a 7.16 ERA at Birmingham.

The rest of the list, according to the source:

Second baseman/outfielder Ruddy Yan: Leads the Carolina League in runs scored (62), stolen bases (45) and hits (87) and ranks seventh in average (.304).

Pitcher Wyatt Allen: 5-3 with a 3.29 ERA at Winston-Salem. Ranked 24th among organization's prospects.

Pitcher Josh Rupe: 4-3 with a 5.09 ERA at Kannapolis. Ranked 26th by Baseball America.

Pitcher Frankie Francisco: 5-3 with a 4.11 at Winston-Salem. Ranked 29th.

Pitcher Rick Hummel: 2-3 with a 1.47 at Kannapolis.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, we knew everett wouldn't come free...but you have to play for now.

I really liked this Webster guy too, oh well.

I guess the thinking was that he's still very young and Jeremy Reed is playing well in CF and we are going to plan on him being our CF of the future.

Dear god....are they nuts.

Webster on that list. Why the hell is Rauch ranked ahead of them. Glad to see Cotts off of it, but Webster is a 5 tool guy thats hitting and has a future with the Sox.

I will go nuts if he is a part of it. I like Rupe and some others a lot as well as Yan, but please tell me it isn't Webster.

Diaz, Malone and someone like Rupe would make me happier (Rupe is damn good by the way).

Rangers would be getting a killing if this is the list. 3 top 15 guys pretty much guaranteed depending on things.

He isn't gone yet. And the Rangers really don't need another bat. So I would not be suprised if they DON"T pick him

I guess the thinking was that he's still very young and Jeremy Reed is playing well in CF and we are going to plan on him being our CF of the future.

I was thinking thats what they are thinking too...still he isn't one they should deal.

Let it be Spidale instead.

I was thinking thats what they are thinking too...still he isn't one they should deal.

Let it be Spidale instead.

We have heard all kinds of things that turned out not to be true. Im not worried........yet.

He isn't gone yet. And the Rangers really don't need another bat. So I would not be suprised if they DON"T pick him

Speculating is gonna kill you guys :lol:

That is true...Rupe is really good and Rupe, Diaz Malone would give them some talented arms. I could really live with that.

I also realize with the drafting of Anderson, King and Sweeney the Sox do have a ton of outfield prospects meaning that Webster is expendable, but he is in my mind the 2nd best prospect in the org (Behind Honel) and well Everett is good, he isn't worth this type of package.

Before I go nuts, I will say that this isn't official until things get made.

I'm guessing if they take Webster they only get two.

Although Webster is a highly rated prospect, I think he is a bit overrated by BA considering the fact that he's never really played above A ball for a full season and his ranking is based solely on potential and an outstanding season in low A ball. That said, he is a five-tool prospect, but what's to say he will pan out? He could, but he could also end up as a wash.

I tend to like both Reed and Anderson's chances better than Webster's, but hey, that's just me.

Again he is only playing A ball right now. Yes he may have 5 tools but so did AL Martin, Jay Peyton, and Alex Escobar.

My point is 1st let the trade go down, and if it does go down stop the crying over an A level prospect who hasn't done a thing in the majors. Yes he may have talent but until he shows something in the majors he will always be a minor league.(Not saying he will be one)

Although Webster is a highly rated prospect, I think he is a bit overrated by BA considering the fact that he's never really played above A ball for a full season and his ranking is based solely on potential and an outstanding season in low A ball.  That said, he is a five-tool prospect, but what's to say he will pan out?  He could, but he could also end up as a wash.

I tend to like both Reed and Anderson's chances better than Webster's, but hey, that's just me.

I'm with you on that. Only thing I think is that they are givng up too much. I have no problem giving up prospects, especially lower level ones since so few pan out. I also know that the Sox have a ton of depth in the lower levels.

Diaz, Malone and Yan would make me a lot happier though.

I just think with this package the Sox could of done better. Hell, with Webster involved, how much more would it really of took to land Beltran.

Again he is only playing A ball right now.  Yes he may have 5 tools but so did AL Martin, Jay Peyton, and Alex Escobar.

My point is 1st let the trade go down, and if it does go down stop the crying over an A level prospect who hasn't done a thing in the majors.  Yes he may have talent but until he shows something in the majors he will always be a minor league.(Not saying he will be one)

I agree to wait. I only say that value wise the Sox could of got more then Everett with this package. But this is proposed, nothing for sure.

I can only hope Webster isn't a part of it. I would think the Sox would think of him as a top 10 prospect.

Although Webster is a highly rated prospect, I think he is a bit overrated by BA considering the fact that he's never really played above A ball for a full season and his ranking is based solely on potential and an outstanding season in low A ball.  That said, he is a five-tool prospect, but what's to say he will pan out?  He could, but he could also end up as a wash.

I'm with you on that. Only thing I think is that they are givng up too much. I have no problem giving up prospects, especially lower level ones since so few pan out. I also know that the Sox have a ton of depth in the lower levels.

Diaz, Malone and Yan would make me a lot happier though.

I just think with this package the Sox could of done better. Hell, with Webster involved, how much more would it really of took to land Beltran.

I agree on the Beltran thing Jas, but if they do take Webster, they're most likely not going to get Diaz or Malone and will simply get one other lower tier prospect.

And I'm supposed to care how much?

We could have the next Rocco Baldelli on our hands here, only he'd probably be better. You wanna give that up for Carl Everett? I don't care if he does or doesn't pan out....it's too big a risk.

I guess I better not let it ruin my night, but if it's true.... :angry:

When Anthony Webster hits <.285 with hr and rbi at the>Major League Level , then we all can flip.

Bobby Hill was the NUMBER 1  rated sCrUBS prospect a few years back  :rolleyes: .

Very true.

I don't say this was horrible in the sense of giving up prospects. The best part is they are low level guys, and its really hard to gauge this type of players at that point.

When thinking about it, the plus is Webster is from an area where he won't contribute for a long time as he is a raw outfielder playing in A ball, meaning anything can happen.

The Sox also had an awesome draft with outfielders this year and Anderson and Sweeney do rank ahead of Webster in all around capabilities, imo. Well in terms of offensive potential.

Although I am high on Webster.

Like I say, I just thought we could of got more.

When Anthony Webster hits <.285 with hr and rbi at the>Major League Level , then we all can flip.

Bobby Hill was the NUMBER 1  rated sCrUBS prospect a few years back  :rolleyes: .

Then again, that is the Cubs, that is Bobby Hill, and they are dumbasses. That just goes to show how incredibly overrated their farm system actually is.

However, Hill wasn't a real toolsy guy, like Webster is/can be. He is smaller right now, but will grow into his body, and that will eventually give him some decent power. I don't ever expect him to hit 30+ homers, but 20-25, but he could steal bases as well as play great defense.

Like I said, saying it will ruin my night is overstating it....but it could hurt in the long run.

And Bobby Hill being a bust couldn't have happened to a better person. Talk about being an asshole....that's what you get by being represented by Borass. Karma is going to come back and get those of us who are bad. Karma's a b****, but it truly works.

What's the story on Bobby Hill, did he screw the White Sox at some point and where is he now?

We drafted him and we couldn't sign him cause of Bor-ass and then he went to the Cubs for less money.

you say there are 2 lists?

one list they can choose 2 players from or they can choose 3 from the 2nd list?

is neil cotts or kris honel on either of those lists?

if we give up either of those guys i might not of done the trade

i would of tried to send them rauch and someone else instead of either honel/cotts

yet if we traded cotts you have to ask yourself if you would have traded fouke and joe valentine(getting rocked this year i believe) for koch and everett