Is Rowand the CF of the future?

witesoxfan

This seems to be an interesting topic to me for a couple reasons. First of all, because our minor league gem is a natural CF and he has a cannon for an arm(one reason he was a QB for Stanford). That and the fact that we have Harris who, if he ever pans out, could be a pretty good CFer type player, maybe like a Kenny Lofton type(in his prime, that is). Say Jimenez and Hummel both pan out as well....which do we dump, Harris, Hummel, Jimenez or Rowand, or do we dump two of them and keep Valentin, though he is getting older?

It would seem like a good question to have, as many people would say, but I don't think it is. Do we want a CFer with a ton of speed but has a weak arm who can leadoff effectively or do we want a CFer that hustles his ass off and takes good routes who could also be a .280-.300 hitter with 20 bombs and 20 steals while at the same time being a damn good bunter, or Borchard, who may be more comfortable in CF? And if we take the latter, do we want Harris at 2B, Jimenez who could be a pretty good #2 hitter with good defense or a guy like Hummel who could hit .280 or .310 with a good OBP and great defense.? And if we choose either Harris or Hummel to play 2B, do we then get rid of Jose and use Jimenez there?

This was just a burning question in my mind and was actually starting to bug me. In the end, we could end up giving up someone that is better than the player we kept, and we know we never want that.

Maybe KW does....then again, I don't want him GMing in the future.

Rowand is decent, but he's nothing special. He's an avg to below avg centerfielder in this league. He does play his butt off and will give you everything he's got.

I'd say that right now it appears as if Borchard will eventually play in left or right with the Sox using Reed or Anthony Webster in center and Lee at DH or on another teams roster.

Of course its great to have this type of depth, because a lot of players don't develop so basically the Sox need to just sit back and see what plays out. If someone struggles and can't do it the good news is the organization is so strong in these areas that they can replace within.

Now at center the only other guy major league ready to play center is 2nd baseman Willie Harris and thats a big ? Borchard isn't ready and probably would be best suited for right field with Maggs in left.

Webster and Reed are farther off. Reed could make a push for it next season, but he needs at least another year. I figure he's on the fast track considering he was a college grad so he's a bit older and more mature.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Rowand is decent, but he's nothing special.  He's an avg to below avg centerfielder in this league.  He does play his butt off and will give you everything he's got.

I'd say that right now it appears as if Borchard will eventually play in left or right with the Sox using Reed or Anthony Webster in center and Lee at DH or on another teams roster.

Of course its great to have this type of depth, because a lot of players don't develop so basically the Sox need to just sit back and see what plays out.  If someone struggles and can't do it the good news is the organization is so strong in these areas that they can replace within.

Now at center the only other guy major league ready to play center is 2nd baseman Willie Harris and thats a big ?  Borchard isn't ready and probably would be best suited for right field with Maggs in left.

Webster and Reed are farther off.  Reed could make a push for it next season, but he needs at least another year.  I figure he's on the fast track considering he was a college grad so he's a bit older and more mature.

Once we find out what is going to happen with Big Frank and whether or not KW trades CLee for a pine tar rag and a bag of sunflower seeds, we'll all have a better grip on the future of the White Sox OF. You probably won't see Reed or Webster this year..... unless we are Frank and/or CLee-less, not in contention in the second half (like 2001 and 2002), and Borchard is already up with the ML team. Personally, I hope (REALLY HOPE) Borchard has a killer ST and is able to take over CF duties along with CLee in LF and Maggs in RF. But, if CLee is dealt, who plays left? Leifer? And if Borchard isn't ready and Rowand is still injured, who plays CF? Harris and his broomstick-handle bat? Rowand is a good 4th OF. He's not a starter..... IMHO. :huh

okay, I don't get it.

you guys don't think Rowand can be a center fielder on a championship team, but Valentin is?

Rowand will never be a superstar, but he has good speed, good instincts, is a good defender, hard worker, and very fundamental. his arm is also strong.

talent isn't always the thing in baseball. look at the angels. catcher all the way to short weren't talented players, they are just smart. look at the twins also, the team that beat our ass this year again. they don't SUPERSTARS.

when are people going to learn that fundamentals and hard work are important. Rowand will never win a batting or homerun title, or a gold glove or be the leading base stealer, but he'll get the job done. throw him in the lineup at the 2-hole for an entire season and you'll see how valuable he can be.

Originally posted by Molto

okay, I don't get it.

you guys don't think Rowand can be a center fielder on a championship team, but Valentin is?

Rowand will never be a superstar, but he has good speed, good instincts, is a good defender, hard worker, and very fundamental. his arm is also strong.

talent isn't always the thing in baseball.  look at the angels. catcher all the way to short weren't talented players, they are just smart.  look at the twins also, the team that beat our ass this year again. they don't SUPERSTARS.

when are people going to learn that fundamentals and hard work are important.  Rowand will never win a batting or homerun title, or a gold glove or be the leading base stealer, but he'll get the job done.  throw him in the lineup at the 2-hole for an entire season and you'll see how valuable he can be.

I'm one of Rowands biggest supports, I just think picking up a guy like Hollandworth is a great insurance plan in left and center cause we really don't know what Rowand will do over a full year. The job should be his as long as his healthy and it should be his to lose.

Of course I am one of those that says Valentin can't be their either Mario.

I just think guys have to be given a chance. Rowand didn't show any signs of being a 4th outfielder this year. he played on occasion and did the best he could. he started playing full time and improved.

right now he is in a position where it is his job to lose. if he does poor in ST and struggles in the opening months, then I think you can start thinking of him as a 4th outfielder, because as some point out, he isn't the most talented guys in the world. But I think he's much better than you guys think and he could be a strong, fundamental player on this team.

And the reason I'm so hooked up on fundamental is because I've watched this team the past few years and we have been one of the worse in baseball.

Originally posted by Molto

talent isn't always the thing in baseball.  look at the angels. catcher all the way to short weren't talented players, they are just smart.  look at the twins also, the team that beat our ass this year again. they don't SUPERSTARS.

when are people going to learn that fundamentals and hard work are important.  Rowand will never win a batting or homerun title, or a gold glove or be the leading base stealer, but he'll get the job done.  throw him in the lineup at the 2-hole for an entire season and you'll see how valuable he can be.

I'd have to agree with this all the way. The Angels had 1 man I believe have over 100 RBI and the Twins had none....yet both found their way into the ALCS. Both played great defense, both had great bullpens and both had mediocre starting pitching, with the exception of one or two pitchers. The Twins didn't draw a lot of walks, though I'm not sure about the Angels.

However, both teams did get great defense up the middle. As an opponent you always had a hard time getting a hit up the middle. Not only that, but you would have a hard time stealing a base and hitting a ball by Torii Hunter or Darin Erstad. I can't say that we have a great defensive CF like Hunter or Erstad in Rowand and his arm probably isn't as good as either of their's either(though he does have a gun), or that we are as good in the middle infield with Valentin and Jimenez/Harris as Anaheim and Minnesota are....Miguel's arm is probably equal to Pierzynski and Molina's, so we have it there. However, to back the statement I just made, the Giants were 6 outs away from winning the World Series with Lofton in CF and he had a weak arm and shaky defense and Aurilia and Kent had mediocre defense up the middle. Santiago had a very good arm behind the plate(I remember seeing him throw out a runner in the series from his knees....that's frickin incredible).

All I'm saying is is that we could be a World Series contender with the right moves....our defense, IMO, is just fine as it is, and that we could win it all with Rowand in CF, especially with Konerko, Maggs, Valentin, Thomas/Lee, Borchard, Crede, etc, as his supporting cast. This team needs pitching and pitching alone.

You said:

Marginal is more the word I would use to describe Rowand.

Granted I don't get to see as many games as you guys n girls, but why is everybody so down on Rowand?

I sort of like the guy.

What don't we like about Rowand?

Check the regular season stats of Erstad. How good were they??

Not that good.

Don't you all think Rowand is a damn good player?

With Rowand, I rate him as an avgerage prospect. The guy makes up for that in heart, but if the Sox lose Lee via trade then it would put a big void to have Liefer and Rowand in center.

Aaron still is a solid defensive centerfielder that is capable of doing the little things like the sac bunt, moving guys over, and has some pop. Of course his stats are a mix. When he starts he looks real good, but he's never really had a full season so you just don't know. I'd just like to know the Sox have an insurance guy who can play left and center while Borchard develops. I don't like Liefer, I do know that.

If it's between Rowand and Lee, I want Rowand out there. Everyone knows I've wanted Dumbass Caballo traded for a few years now. I just think we can do better tehn Rowand for out long term future.

If Maggs and Borchard are both around 290-.320 with 30+ hr and 100 RBI, I dont have any problem with Rowand out there every day, but i think they have better options for CF.