New job negotiation

retro1983hat

Here is my situation:

Been working for the same company for 10 years. Plenty of vacation time. Not the greatest insurance and other benefits, but not a bad place to work. My wife is pregnant and I have the flexibility to leave to go with her to the doctor whenever I need to.

I was just offered a job with a much bigger corporation. The pay is essentially the same. Health insurance, tuition reimbursement and other benefits are much, much better. Being new, I wouldn't have the flexibility or vacation time to take off when I might need to.

Basically, I want the new job, but would like a bit more money. What is the best way to negotiate this without seeming too pushy or arrogant?

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
Here is my situation:

Been working for the same company for 10 years. Plenty of vacation time. Not the greatest insurance and other benefits, but not a bad place to work. My wife is pregnant and I have the flexibility to leave to go with her to the doctor whenever I need to.

I was just offered a job with a much bigger corporation. The pay is essentially the same. Health insurance, tuition reimbursement and other benefits are much, much better. Being new, I wouldn't have the flexibility or vacation time to take off when I might need to.

Basically, I want the new job, but would like a bit more money. What is the best way to negotiate this without seeming too pushy or arrogant?

You tell them your wife is pregnant and compensation is an important factor in your decision to leave a job you are already very comfortable with.

Here is my situation:

You are in a position of power because you have your old job to fall back on. Be honest with them and tell them that you have these advantages at your old place, and you would like a fair compensation for leaving them behind. The worst thing that could happen is that they would say no, and you would still have their offer on the table.

And if you really do like your old company, let them know you love the company and appreciate all they have done for you, but you just can not afford to work there at your current salary. Do not hold the other offer over their heads, do not even mention it unless they ask. You may even want to keep their offer close to the vest. Employers do not want to be held up in a bidding war, but any decent company will respect your situation has changed and you don't want to resign, but have to.

I had an employee approach me in this matter and we managed to make it work. He was worried I would not think he was "loyal". But I really appreciated his honesty and worked hard to make it work for everyone. Obviously if he was a poor employee I would have said, thanks for the effort and best of luck, send a baby picture.

Here is my situation:

The flexibility when the baby arrives will be worth 10x whatever raise you will get to relocate, IMO. Is it realistic to have a casual meeting with your current boss and ask for a bump in pay?

I would think, from experience, that like Steff said, the flexibility would be worth a huge cash tradeoff. I had a very flexible situation while both of my boys were young, and it was very nice. Being a smaller employer, I can't always compete salary-wise with some of my larger competitors, but I do offer flexibility. My press operator has his very old mom living with him, who is in need of alot of care. He often has to leave for doctor visits, and at least once a month into the emergency room for SOMETHING. He has come in late or on weekends if we need to get something done, and as long as he keeps me in the loop, I work with him to help him out. When I couldn't give out raises last year, he told me that the time off I give him when needed was worth more than any pay raise. Besides, it is hard to find a job you like, you may not find one again if you leave. Good luck either way.

Here is my situation:

Honestly, tell them how much you want the position, think you can make a difference, but feel like the pay isnt what you were envisioning.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
I would think, from experience, that like Steff said, the flexibility would be worth a huge cash tradeoff. I had a very flexible situation while both of my boys were young, and it was very nice. Being a smaller employer, I can't always compete salary-wise with some of my larger competitors, but I do offer flexibility. My press operator has his very old mom living with him, who is in need of alot of care. He often has to leave for doctor visits, and at least once a month into the emergency room for SOMETHING. He has come in late or on weekends if we need to get something done, and as long as he keeps me in the loop, I work with him to help him out. When I couldn't give out raises last year, he told me that the time off I give him when needed was worth more than any pay raise. Besides, it is hard to find a job you like, you may not find one again if you leave. Good luck either way.

Hmm, talks like a Rep, acts like a Dem. ;)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 07:13 AM)
Hmm, talks like a Rep, acts like a Dem. ;)

I appreciate the fact that my press guy doesn't want to put his mom in a home, so I will help him however I can. He has been with me for 16 years, and despite his extensive use of foul language, he is a good guy trying to do the right thing. Now if he were unionized, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Is that more Rep-like for you? ;)

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)
I appreciate the fact that my press guy doesn't want to put his mom in a home, so I will help him however I can. He has been with me for 16 years, and despite his extensive use of foul language, he is a good guy trying to do the right thing. Now if he were unionized, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Is that more Rep-like for you? ;)

LOL ... Nice! :notworthy

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)

More this-Dem like :cheers

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Just an update, I asked the new company for more money and am waiting to hear back. I am nervous, but hopeful.

if you're taking a hit in the vacation department, then hell yes you should ask for more money.

my play would have been to set up 6 month performance appraisal with a bump in pay and vacation. If I work out, then you win...and therfore, I'm motivated to do my best because there is a serious amount of benefits involved.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
if you're taking a hit in the vacation department, then hell yes you should ask for more money.

my play would have been to set up 6 month performance appraisal with a bump in pay and vacation. If I work out, then you win...and therfore, I'm motivated to do my best because there is a serious amount of benefits involved.

Ive been there twice in the last 4 years, and got the new company to add more money each time. It went up over 40k finally when the two job bidding was over.