Obama doing something that I thought was shady???

kapkomet

I am making this its own thread... because I want to see what you all know or think...

It seems that almost all University of North Texas students who have listed their cell phones on the emergency network have gotten phone calls on their cell phones from the Obama campaign. It SEEMS (and that's why I have the question marks) as though Obama bought that list somehow?

It's weird...

but my question is, isn't it illegal to solicit (buy) phone lists like that from universities, etc.?

I guess there's some people checking into it here.

I thought it was interesting. And really, it fits the ground game Obama is running.

BTW, Obama JUST finished a rally in downtown Fort Worth. The fire marshall had to close off the convention center at 12,000 and they had to open an overflow wing at the convention center that had about 2,000 more on a close circuit tv.

The man has momentum.

Tell you what, gang... since I'm here, I'll let this thread run it's initial course and then we'll change the thread title to the Texas/Ohio results thread. Sound ok?

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
If he bought the list, the University had to offer it for sale. It's also possible that the list is publicly available and a student volunteer brought a directory into the campaign headquarters which is not illegal.

That makes sense. I was trying to figure out how that kind of list would have gotten out... legally, anyway.

As I said, I didn't mean to make the thread title THAT misleading, but I honestly thought that was something illegal.

no, man this pisses me off. School proposed our emergency alert system. Saying we'll have emergency texts just sign up. BUt the company doing this text alert thing would also be sending us advertisements. They basically just raped our #'s for "security". That company luckily didn't happen, now we just have a text service exclusive to the school.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 08:10 AM)
no, man this pisses me off. School proposed our emergency alert system. Saying we'll have emergency texts just sign up. BUt the company doing this text alert thing would also be sending us advertisements. They basically just raped our #'s for "security". That company luckily didn't happen, now we just have a text service exclusive to the school.

No s***? Wow. WOW!

A university should get reprimanded for that s***, seriously.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 06:15 AM)
No s***? Wow. WOW!

A university should get reprimanded for that s***, seriously.

Do you have any idea how often universities sell some bit of information on their students to a company like a credit card company or something like that in exchange for a chunk of funding? Usually they're kind enough to withhold the social security numbers, but those deals are big money.