Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
Since this is the closest thing to a catch all I'll post this here.

Skip the sports power drinks. Your best bet is to drink pure coconut water after a workout or run. Tons of electrolytes and more potassium than a banana. And you don't get all the high fructose corn syrup and other crap.

O.N.E. and Zico are a couple of brands you can try.

That's an interesting idea, I've never tried that before. I switched from Gatorade to Vitamin Water a while back, for my drink after I get off the bike on the way home - VW has the same water and electrolytes as G, but with vitamins added, and less corn syrup. But I'll have to give your idea a try as well.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.zico.com/benefits/

For more than 4,000 years, coconut water has been revered as a natural source of nutrition, wellness, beauty and hydration. In times of famine and war, coconut water has been used as an intravenous fluid and saved many lives. It’s the only natural substance that can be safely injected into the human blood stream. Now modern science has validated its effectiveness, especially as a natural sports drink.

ZICO contains the five essential electrolytes your body needs to keep nerves firing, muscles moving and to help manage stress. One ZICO has more potassium than a banana – 15 times more than most sports drinks – to prevent cramping and promote recovery. Drink ZICO before or during a workout for the natural energy you need for optimal performance. After a workout, ZICO replenishes and re-hydrates you to speed recovery.

If you are active, working out -- and don't have a problem with gaining massive weight, just eat smart -- and that doesn't mean buy into gimmicks, etc. Water, gator aid, vitamin water, whatever -- the ones with calories will be easily burned off by an active person, especially if you drink it while riding a bike to/from wherever.

Protein is a good supplement if you are looking to add muscle mass and you don't intake enough natural protein from food sources, meat, fish, etc. More than 1 gram per pound of body weight is overkill unless you are into the extreme side of things.

Vitamins are also good, so long as you don't combine the wrong ones and understand the difference between water soluble and fat soluble, as fat soluble overdoses can be very dangerous. I recommend food based vitamins as your body won't reject them as fake quite as easily. If you take a vitamin and notice your urine is neon yellow, it means your body isn't bothering to use it...that color is the expensive vitamin you took earlier that day, being flushed down the toilet. :D

I stress above all else -- consistency is key. Crash diets and fad diets do NOT work -- you will eventually fall off of them as they are impossible to sustain depending on your time constraints/location/etc. Learn alternative exercises you can do on the fly without equipment if you are unable to get into the gym or follow your standard routine that day. This also applies to fad foods (note I said, FAD, not FAST), drinks, and other such things.

Second biggest point is to learn and understand your own body, your body type, and what exercise(s) work for YOU. Be realistic with this, not everyone is built the same, so results will vary. My friends don't like working out with me because with very little effort, I see twice the results in half the time they see. Those of us like this are often called mesomorphs, I can understand why that's hard for some to accept, especially if you work out with a person like this side by side, doing the same exercises...but that's the way it is. Just because running works really well for some guy you know doesn't mean it will work as well for you. This applies to all facets of exercise, from lifting to cardio.

Edited by Y2HH

• 3 weeks later...

Man I hate leg days. They take so much out of me, I can't figure out why. I'll start with 4 sets of leg presses with moderate weight and when I'm done with those I'm exhausted, light headed and ready to go home. Then I'll just half ass through the rest of it because I start to feel like if I push any harder, I'll vomit. This only happens with legs, consequently, they are by far the weakest and worst looking muscle group on my body.

Tips??

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Man I hate leg days. They take so much out of me, I can't figure out why. I'll start with 4 sets of leg presses with moderate weight and when I'm done with those I'm exhausted, light headed and ready to go home. Then I'll just half ass through the rest of it because I start to feel like if I push any harder, I'll vomit. This only happens with legs, consequently, they are by far the weakest and worst looking muscle group on my body.

Tips??

Lighten the load or switch it up to squats, and try isolating a bit.

Do some calf raises, some leg extensions and some leg curls rather than simply pressing weight.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I rarely squat because they wore me out even worse, lol.

I'm not even going that heavy, I push out 10-12 reps per set. My legs just suck.

My usual:

squats on smith machine

leg extensions

leg press

leg curls

calf raises

3 sets of 10-12 reps each

I would move off of most of those and do more body resistance workouts for legs like lunges, squats, wall sits etc.

Heres a decent one you can do at home the first few times so you can get the hang of it. It'll blast your legs I promise.

Balance lunge (25 per leg)

Have a chair behind you and place the top of your foot on it as you lunge on your other leg. Basically a one legged squat of sorts

-when thats too easy for you, add a calf raise at the end of each upwards rep.

Wall Squat (2 reps, 90 sec each)

Step back lunge (with weight) (15 reps per leg)

Legs together weights at your sides, step back into a lunge, keep your knee over your ankle.

Alternating Side Lunge (24 reps total)

Feet together, alternate lunges from left to right. You can add weight or add depth and hold.

Single leg Wall Squat (60 seconds total)

wall sit, one leg in the air, switch legs every 10 sec

Deadlift squat (20 each leg)

Standing on one leg with other leg bent, behind you, squat down and reach for the floor.

Sneaky Lunge (20 reps)

Basically lunge across the floor, right foot first, then left. All on tiptoes, heels never touch ground

Calf Raises (75 reps)

15 slow and 10 fast in each of three directions

-toes out heels together

-feet parallel

-toes in heels out

Speed squat (30 per leg)

-80 percent of weight on one leg, 20 on the other, then switch. Fast as you can

Done. Let me know how that works out, I can add some more if you like. I do these with my back on thursdays.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I rarely squat because they wore me out even worse, lol.

I'm not even going that heavy, I push out 10-12 reps per set. My legs just suck.

My usual:

squats on smith machine

leg extensions

leg press

leg curls

calf raises

3 sets of 10-12 reps each

How much weight are you using? I'm not sure what's wrong, exactly -- are you looking to get stronger legs, bigger legs, more endurance, or what? Rock's workout will help with your endurance quite a bit...but I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Sounds like you may need to do cardio work, because the fact you are tiring out when you work your legs seems to point toward lack of cardio conditioning.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
How much weight are you using? I'm not sure what's wrong, exactly -- are you looking to get stronger legs, bigger legs, more endurance, or what? Rock's workout will help with your endurance quite a bit...but I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Sounds like you may need to do cardio work, because the fact you are tiring out when you work your legs seems to point toward lack of cardio conditioning.

Trying bulk up my legs. The endurance issue is a good observation. I rarely do any cardio yet I've never noticed a fatigue factor on days that I'm working my upper body, only on leg days. It's not like I'm soaked in sweat and gasping for air, but I just feel like I get unplugged and all the energy gets zapped from my body quickly.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)
Trying bulk up my legs. The endurance issue is a good observation. I rarely do any cardio yet I've never noticed a fatigue factor on days that I'm working my upper body, only on leg days. It's not like I'm soaked in sweat and gasping for air, but I just feel like I get unplugged and all the energy gets zapped from my body quickly.

I don't do much cardio either, maybe 10 minutes a day, but I also don't lift weight on my legs -- my split breaks down like this:

Monday - Arms

Tuesday - Shoulders

Wednesday - Legs (Home workout, P90X Plyometrics)

Thursday - Back

Friday - Chest

That split prevents any major/minor muscle assist fatigue. For example, triceps are used for chest exercises, so if you try to work out chest after an arm workout, your arms will tire too fast and you're chest workout will be affected, the same applies following up an arm workout a day later with a chest workout -- the arms are still in rebuild mode so using them isn't wise for a full workout. This split prevents that for every muscle group.

Over the years I've observed that weight training on legs causes knee issues, pain, etc...so I've moved away from it. I also found the increased size caused me to lose athleticism/speed. The P90X Plyo workout is THE perfect leg workout, and it's also an exceptional cardio workout combined into one, and this is coming from a person that's worked out in the gym for years -- though I recently restarted after a hiatus, I wish I had never taken the time off. P90X is embarrassing, though, so do it alone or without sound...I mean seriously, the stuff those douchebags say half the time is just eye rolling stupid, but I won't say it's not an awesome workout, it just has to be used in a proper way. It's great for slimming down/toning up, but it's not for increasing size like weights (which is my goal).

Other than that, however, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to working out -- I prefer weights over gimmicks any other day of the week, and I've tried it all from weird Bowflex machines to P90x to Yoga and core conditioning.

Anyway, the P90X Plyo routine is what I'd recommend to you -- don't jump into it expecting to do the entire 60 minutes the first time, as you'll probably tire out 12 minutes into the warmups (and I'm not kidding), but after a few weeks you'll be able to finish it (provided you still do your other workouts in between). This will solve your leg strength and endurance conditioning all at once -- and believe me, it will work out every muscle in your legs.

Oh, also, I note you are doing 3 sets of 10-12 -- do a pyramid instead...works wonders.

Ex:

Set 1 - 1x45s - 12 reps

Set 2 - 2x45s - 10 reps

Set 3 - 3x45s - 8 reps

Etc.

Edited by Y2HH

Y2,

What I wrote down was most of the leg portion of the Legs and Back P90x routine. I agree the plyo is probably one of the toughest leg workouts as well as cardio, however I like the actual individual leg work that the leg routine I put above does for you. It isolates a few more muscles for you.

If anyone wants to really good cardio/leg workout, the P90X plyo routine is a killer and frankly, most people are humbled by it at first.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Any runners ever take an ice bath after a workout? I just got done taking my first ice bath; wow, that makes a world of a difference.

Ice baths will help alot to decrease the post run inflammation. There is nothing as hard on the body or as beneficial to the body as running. With it comes the inflammation and studies have shown that the ice baths decrease the incidence of chronic injuries.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Ice baths will help alot to decrease the post run inflammation. There is nothing as hard on the body or as beneficial to the body as running. With it comes the inflammation and studies have shown that the ice baths decrease the incidence of chronic injuries.

I feel great right now.

I started running a little bit to work out a couple years ago, but I've really gotten obsessed and taken it to another level this year. The extra mileage has started to take a little bit of a toll on me of late, as my legs have been tighter (feeling like I haven't stretched) and a little sore, despite making a conscious effort to make time for stretching afterward. However, today's inaugural ice bath has done wonders for how I feel post-run right now. I'm a believer now.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
I feel great right now.

I started running a little bit to work out a couple years ago, but I've really gotten obsessed and taken it to another level this year. The extra mileage has started to take a little bit of a toll on me of late, as my legs have been tighter (feeling like I haven't stretched) and a little sore, despite making a conscious effort to make time for stretching afterward. However, today's inaugural ice bath has done wonders for how I feel post-run right now. I'm a believer now.

General ice baths work wonders as you've said for rejuvenating the legs. Another trick for the legs, especially feet, is to add rubbing alcohol to a bucket of ice and water to lower the freezing point. This can reaqlly take away many overuse sorenesses.

The key with any of the ice baths is no more than 20-30 minutes. If you go more than that the capillaries in the area go from contriction to dialation (the body's attempt to warm the area). This will do the opposite of the effect for which you are looking.

I've used ice baths after every run of 12 miles or more and seem to bounce back faster. I also use them whenever my legs start to feel too fatigued after shorter runs.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Y2HH, here's my ideal week split:

Mon- Chest and Tric

Tues- Back and Bis

Wed- off

Thurs-Shoulders

Fri-Legs

Sat- off

Sun- Back to Chest and Tric and the pattern continues..........

Each muscle group gets almost a full week to recover.

The reason I recommend against this type of split is for the reason I stated before as what you are doing here is less efficient and often contradicting.

Allow me to explain as I used to use a similar split as you years ago.

Chest uses Triceps as an assist muscle (as does any "push" exercise), in doing your chest workouts with triceps, you are fatiguing your triceps (which will tire BEFORE chest), thus whichever way you do the workout, one or the other will get robbed of full intensity.

Ex: If you work chest first, your triceps (which were used to assist the chest workouts) will not be able to perform their own exercises at 100% capacity, as they'll already be used/fatigued. If you reverse it and work triceps first, you're triceps will be tired and unable to assist in the push motion necessary for chest workouts at 100% capacity, and that takes away from the chest workout.

This same condition applies to biceps and back, so it's important to find a split that kills Primary/Primary splits when one of those two Primary targets is already being used as a Secondary that day.

This same condition applies to people who do their full cardio workout BEFORE they lift weights. 10 minutes to warm up is one thing...doing 30-45 minutes of cardio before lifting will tire you out and you will lift less weight for less reps because of it. Lift FIRST, then do cardio, that will help blast your muscles when they are 100% and your body is 90%+ on fuel, versus burning all the fuel with cardio and then trying to lift afterward.

Since you seem to be on a 2 day off per 7 cycle, what I'd recommend is as follows:

Monday - Chest/Abdominals

Tuesday - Back

Wed - OFF

Thurs - Shoulders

Friday - Arms/Abdominals

Saturday - Off

Sunday - Legs

This split would prevent any assist muscles from being used on a primary/primary same day cycle, as you are currently doing. For example, on Monday you are currently targeting 2 Primary muscles (Chest and Triceps), one of which is already being used as a Secondary to the other.

This split also adds no more days than you currently use and doesn't switch off days from where you currently have them.

Each primary is targeted only once per week + a minimum of 24 hours rest for all secondary/assist muscles before they become the primaries.

Edited by Y2HH

Y2HH,

When I first started lifting, I had really scrawny arms and I had a similar split to what you describe. Someone suggested the split that I use now (the push/pull) precisely BECAUSE of what you've stated.

I do all my chest exercises first, then I move onto my triceps. Yes, my triceps are already nice and warm, so when I follow with isolation exercises, they really burn and blow up. Same goes for back and biceps. My arms are by far the biggest muscle group on my body. Triceps are sick.

It's always worked for me, so I've never changed it.

Shoulders and legs are another story.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Y2HH,

When I first started lifting, I had really scrawny arms and I had a similar split to what you describe. Someone suggested the split that I use now (the push/pull) precisely BECAUSE of what you've stated.

I do all my chest exercises first, then I move onto my triceps. Yes, my triceps are already nice and warm, so when I follow with isolation exercises, they really burn and blow up. Same goes for back and biceps. My arms are by far the biggest muscle group on my body. Triceps are sick.

It's always worked for me, so I've never changed it.

Shoulders and legs are another story.

The goal needs to be equality -- if you're arms are too big, there is an old saying -- show me a guy with big arms and I'll show you a guy with a weak back. :D

IMO, there is nothing worse than being unappropriated. Bodyparts should match -- arms, shoulders, neck, back, legs, etc...if one is too big, you're doing something wrong.

While the workout you are using appears to be working wonders on your arms...it's not doing the job as told by the size of your arms over the rest...see what I mean? I'd at least consider tweaking it to even everything out.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Greasy, tell me more about the ice bath. I was completely fatigued after my 6-mile run Saturday and felt tight, sore and just beat down. I'm running my first half marathon Oct 11 in Evansville.

Nothing very difficult to do, and ptatc definitely knows a hell of a lot more about this stuff than me. Simply fill your bathtub with cold water (just needs to really be below 60*), in waist-deep water and immerse your legs/feet in it for about 15-20 minutes. It's a nice way to eliminate some of the lactic acid build-up that occurs in your legs after a hard run or workout.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
The goal needs to be equality -- if you're arms are too big, there is an old saying -- show me a guy with big arms and I'll show you a guy with a weak back. :D

IMO, there is nothing worse than being unappropriated. Bodyparts should match -- arms, shoulders, neck, back, legs, etc...if one is too big, you're doing something wrong.

While the workout you are using appears to be working wonders on your arms...it's not doing the job as told by the size of your arms over the rest...see what I mean? I'd at least consider tweaking it to even everything out.

I agree completely about proportion. My only point is that the push/pull routine is designed for people who want to target their arms. If that is your goal, it does work since it really pushes them to failure. Of course as you develop, you tweak things here and there. I still do a push/pull, but I go a lot easier on the iso lifts for bis and tris, since I'm just trying to maitain in those areas.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
I agree completely about proportion. My only point is that the push/pull routine is designed for people who want to target their arms. If that is your goal, it does work since it really pushes them to failure. Of course as you develop, you tweak things here and there. I still do a push/pull, but I go a lot easier on the iso lifts for bis and tris, since I'm just trying to maitain in those areas.

Now that you have the size, there is no difficulty in maintaining that size simply by continuing to work out. I'd target shoulders now.

What I need to do is shed a few pounds of bodyfat, since I was a lazy schlub the last 1.5 years or so -- I didn't let myself get too bad, but I put on about 1.5" on the waist...which needs to go. I'm eating better and working out consistently again, so I need a few months, but still...always seems like it takes forever.