Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

I thought that by now everybody pretty much agrees that it was more than one occasion that he's said something like that. If that was the point, we'd be about done talking about it by now wouldn't we? Howcome it keeps coming back to that?

Answering my own question: because people get all kinds of caught up in this and say things like "he's preached nothing but hate for the past 20 years and Obama's close to him, and therefore Obama must subscribe to all of this hate"... that is where the crazy jump in logic happens.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
I thought that by now everybody pretty much agrees that it was more than one occasion that he's said something like that. If that was the point, we'd be about done talking about it by now wouldn't we? Howcome it keeps coming back to that?

Answering my own question: because people get all kinds of caught up in this and say things like "he's preached nothing but hate for the past 20 years and Obama's close to him, and therefore Obama must subscribe to all of this hate"... that is where the crazy jump in logic happens.

I know you have me blocked but this is another example of Obama supporters twist on words. Nobody is saying hes preached nothing but hate for 20 years were just saying that he has preached enough to raise some flags. Nobody is saying that Obama absolutely subscribes to all the hate either, were saying that a 20 year relationship with someone who is labeled as your spiritual adviser that says things like Wright has said also raises some questions.

No, not everybody agrees that it is more than one occasion because that is the only bullet in northsides arsenal. Apparently for him there isnt enough PROOF to label Wright a racist and he still contests this MIGHT be an isolated incident.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
I know you have me blocked but this is another example of Obama supporters twist on words. Nobody is saying hes preached nothing but hate for 20 years were just saying that he has preached enough to raise some flags. Nobody is saying that Obama absolutely subscribes to all the hate either, were saying that a 20 year relationship with someone who is labeled as your spiritual adviser that says things like Wright has said also raises some questions.

No, not everybody agrees that it is more than one occasion because that is the only bullet in northsides arsenal. Apparently for him there isnt enough PROOF to label Wright a racist and he still contests this MIGHT be an isolated incident.

Actually I don't have you blocked, I'm still reading your posts, the only time I wasn't was right after I did it that day when you kept throwing those veiled/backhanded insults at me while calling me a racist to boot which I didn't appreciate, to say the least.

Anyway I have to raise the BS flag about nobody saying he preached nothing but hate and "Obama supporters" twisting words, if this statement doesn't hold water go back and look at the OP. Then go turn on any news channel that's still talking about it, even CNN in all its liberally biased glory, you will see Republican strategists saying this ad nauseum. Or go anywhere on the internet, try a Facebook group. People are saying it and I don't have to twist anything.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
Actually I don't have you blocked, I'm still reading your posts, the only time I wasn't was right after I did it that day when you kept throwing those veiled/backhanded insults at me while calling me a racist to boot which I didn't appreciate, to say the least.

Anyway I have to raise the BS flag about nobody saying he preached nothing but hate and "Obama supporters" twisting words, if this statement doesn't hold water go back and look at the OP. Then go turn on any news channel that's still talking about it, even CNN in all its liberally biased glory, you will see Republican strategists saying this ad nauseum. Or go anywhere on the internet, try a Facebook group. People are saying it and I don't have to twist anything.

I wasnt aware that we were discussing comments from such highly regarded sources as Facebook groups. Maybe it was irrational of me to think we were discussing things people said in THIS forum. Maybe you can get the sympathy of being called racist from the people that called me racist because I have no regrets of anything that I said, which by the way you are extremely exaggerating.

OK, I think alot of people have said "He has been preaching hate for 20 years", not "He has been preaching NOTHING BUT HATE for 20 years". Small distinction, but apparently enough in some peoples minds to give him the benefit of doubt because they don't 'know' what else he has said.

Just wondering, those that think this proves that everyone in that Church are racists, including Obama, what changes will he try and make in America as President? Have whites ride in the back of the bus?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
Just wondering, those that think this proves that everyone in that Church are racists, including Obama, what changes will he try and make in America as President? Have whites ride in the back of the bus?

I think he already said it. Take away more money from Whitey (since they are the only benefactors of capitalisms, capital gains, etc.) to pay for all the social programs.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
I think he already said it. Take away more money from Whitey (since they are the only benefactors of capitalisms, capital gains, etc.) to pay for all the social programs.

Now you are just making s*** up. I have to assume this is sarcasm but I don't have much reason to believe it is.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
I wasnt aware that we were discussing comments from such highly regarded sources as Facebook groups.

as opposed to a political section of a white sox baseball forum.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
Now you are just making s*** up. I have to assume this is sarcasm but I don't have much reason to believe it is.

Well, since the man is holding the black people down, and the man controls the money, and the man would therefor be the one affected by the raise in income tax and capital gains tax he wants, and since the man is typically white, then there is your answer on how to transfer wealth from the man to the oppressed legally here in the US of KKK.

FYI, it was half sarcasm, but there is no half green.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
as opposed to a political section of a white sox baseball forum.

Well considering thats where this conversation is taking place I would say its a little more reasonable to try and follow it here than for me to worry about what Facebook groups think about. Thanks again for important insight and continuing effort in keeping the discussion on track. Im glad now I know what Im up against so from now on if I want your opinion I will flip on MTV or Oprah :headbang

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Well, since the man is holding the black people down, and the man controls the money, and the man would therefor be the one affected by the raise in income tax and capital gains tax he wants, and since the man is typically white, then there is your answer on how to transfer wealth from the man to the oppressed legally here in the US of KKK.

FYI, it was half sarcasm, but there is no half green.

I feel a little better.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
+1

Does +1 mean that you made the brilliant point that there are people in Facebook groups that are calling Obama racist even though it has no relevance in this conversation or is it a celebration of a moral victory that you and bmaggs achieved by making fun of a conversation "on a white sox message board" that both of you are actively involved in?

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
Well considering thats where this conversation is taking place I would say its a little more reasonable to try and follow it here than for me to worry about what Facebook groups think about. Thanks again for important insight and continuing effort in keeping the discussion on track. Im glad now I know what Im up against so from now on if I want your opinion I will flip on MTV or Oprah :headbang

A forum is a forum is a forum. People are discussing this issue are relevant to debates on how people have discussed this issue, how the media has covered people discussing this issue.

And with the way this thread has turned, a facebook group might even be more civil. Yas on his high horse saying he was called a racist when NSSox merely said that he was looking for a reason to hate Obama no matter what because of his politics. Yas was also looking for us to call him a racist, in my opinion, as you say, so he could categorize us with the image in his head of the crazy liberals who love everyone who hates america and label everyone racists for saying anything. In my opinion. But no one has called anyone a racist for thinking Wright is a racist. Then CC comes and says "watermelon soaked nose". Now tell me, which side on this issue has become more hard-headed.

I'll give my complete thought now on why I don't care about Obama going to the Church that had Rev. Wright. I know my Grandfather for teaching me so many things about life. Hard work, love, humility, gratitude. I've also known him to say some things that disgust me, all dealing with political or social issues. Words of hate. Do I think my grandfather is a hate-filled man, no, and he's important to me, and he's taught me so much. But just because he's said those words, does not mean that I believe them. How many times has a political sermon in the church affected the way you live? feel? The ones I've been to are so lightning in a bottle, they don't live on, they are too current event and usually much like a pundit on TV. But the ones on faith and how to live, those can help define and form a person. So I don't give a damn about Bush close with Robertson, Graham close with the many presidents, Hagee with McCain or Wright with Obama. (To reclarify, I don't care about Hagee with McCain, I don't believe McCain is an anti-semite b/c he's with McCain, but I did get frustrated when McCain got a free pass for Hagee when Obama was getting hit with Wright). When these men (and whoever Hillary's involved in) would hypothetically go to these men for advice, I have no doubt in my mind they are looking for spiritual or personal advice, not political.

Pt. II to come later.

I would like to renounce every person I have come in contact with over my life who I do not agree with their views. Further, I renounce anyone who I may have come in contact with during my lifetime who may in the future make statements I do not agree with. I will try my best to never listen to anyone whose views I may not agree with both currently and what they may say in the future.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
A forum is a forum is a forum. People are discussing this issue are relevant to debates on how people have discussed this issue, how the media has covered people discussing this issue.

And with the way this thread has turned, a facebook group might even be more civil. Yas on his high horse saying he was called a racist when NSSox merely said that he was looking for a reason to hate Obama no matter what because of his politics. Yas was also looking for us to call him a racist, in my opinion, as you say, so he could categorize us with the image in his head of the crazy liberals who love everyone who hates america and label everyone racists for saying anything. In my opinion. But no one has called anyone a racist for thinking Wright is a racist. Then CC comes and says "watermelon soaked nose". Now tell me, which side on this issue has become more hard-headed.

I'll give my complete thought now on why I don't care about Obama going to the Church that had Rev. Wright. I know my Grandfather for teaching me so many things about life. Hard work, love, humility, gratitude. I've also known him to say some things that disgust me, all dealing with political or social issues. Words of hate. Do I think my grandfather is a hate-filled man, no, and he's important to me, and he's taught me so much. But just because he's said those words, does not mean that I believe them. How many times has a political sermon in the church affected the way you live? feel? The ones I've been to are so lightning in a bottle, they don't live on, they are too current event and usually much like a pundit on TV. But the ones on faith and how to live, those can help define and form a person. So I don't give a damn about Bush close with Robertson, Graham close with the many presidents, Hagee with McCain or Wright with Obama. (To reclarify, I don't care about Hagee with McCain, I don't believe McCain is an anti-semite b/c he's with McCain, but I did get frustrated when McCain got a free pass for Hagee when Obama was getting hit with Wright). When these men (and whoever Hillary's involved in) would hypothetically go to these men for advice, I have no doubt in my mind they are looking for spiritual or personal advice, not political.

Pt. II to come later.

You can't choose your grandfather, unless you are from Kentucky or Alabama and do alot of inbreeding, but you can choose your pastor. Big difference. I understand your point, but still a big difference.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)
You can't choose your grandfather, unless you are from Kentucky or Alabama and do alot of inbreeding, but you can choose your pastor. Big difference. I understand your point, but still a big difference.

Nice slam on the south. Intelligent. Yep,m just a bunch of inbreeding. ha ha ha :angry:

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)

I can choose to hold him close to this day and continue to learn from him. I'm a young man, alpha dog, I see your point, but I can only relate things to my limited experiences. My mentors at this point are pretty much all related to me. Just sharing why this did not affect me the way it affected others. I completely understand someone who has worked, fought, loved, been devoted to this country being appalled at someone saying "God Damn America", such language we've seen from a radical cleric in the Middle East this decade, but not from home, let alone a close friend to a presidential candidate. But I don't see it defining the man or his what his actions would be as president. Not in my eyes.