2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
Higher taxes with gasoline still $4 a gallon is pretty drastic IMO as well.

I tend to agree. I don't think the overall tax burden should increase on individuals right now. Gas prices have come back a bit, to only just under $4 a gallon. But they will go up yet again, in the not too distant future, and we'll push $5. No need for tax increases to incentivize alternatives - the natural price will do that on its own.

That said, I ALSO disagree with tax holidays and decreasing current gas taxes.

Week in Review (Aug 6th- Aug 12th)

Shiftless

Washington (Elway Poll) - Obama 47%, McCain 35%....... Obama +12

Florida (PPP (D)) - McCain 47%, Obama 44%....... McCain +3

New York (Quinnipiac) - Obama 57%, McCain 36%....... Obama +21

Oregon (SurveyUSA) - Obama 48%, McCain 45%....... Obama +3

Wisconsin (WPRI) - Obama 44%, McCain 38%....... Obama +6

New Jersey (Rasmussen) - Obama 52%, McCain 42%....... Obama +10

New York (Rasmussen) - Obama 55%, McCain 36%....... Obama +19

Alabama (AEA/Capital Survey) - McCain 47%, Obama 34%....... McCain +13

Massachusetts (Rasmussen) - Obama 54%, McCain 38%....... Obama +16

Wisconsin (Rasmussen) - Obama 51%, McCain 44%....... Obama +7

Washington (Rasmussen) - Obama 54%, McCain 42%....... Obama +12

Missouri (Rasmussen) - McCain 50%, Obama 44%....... McCain +6

Michigan (Rasmussen) - Obama 49%, McCain 45%....... Obama +4

Colorado (PPP (D)) - Obama 48%, McCain 44%....... Obama +4

Oregon (Rasmussen) - Obama 52%, McCain 42.%...... Obama +10

Iowa (Rasmussen) - Obama 49%, McCain 44%....... Obama +5

Virginia (SurveyUSA) - Obama 47,% McCain 48.%...... McCain +1

Kentucky (SurveyUSA) - McCain 55,% Obama 37%....... McCain +18

The title says it all. My analysis this week is very simple: nothing's changed. Virginia is still a true battle ground state showing a near tie in the most recent round of polls. All the other states haven't changed much at all.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
yea some evangelical is asking questions, not a debate.

I might actually watch this. I could be being naive here but it sounds like the guy is going to be impartial. The candidates' responses are going to be there up front, to be taken at face value.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
I might actually watch this. I could be being naive here but it sounds like the guy is going to be impartial. The candidates' responses are going to be there up front, to be taken at face value.

i already turned the channel. i honestly don't vote on these issues the guy is bringing up, like "what is your weakest moment with God" bla bla. total snooze fest for me. nothing i want asked will be.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
i already turned the channel. i honestly don't vote on these issues the guy is bringing up, like "what is your weakest moment with God" bla bla. total snooze fest for me. nothing i want asked will be.

He followed up a question to Obama about stem-cell research, and then his next question was "do you believe evil exists" or something like that. Meh I guess it gives some insight into the candidates character, but I don't care about how much of a Christian somebody is when they're running for office.

Well, the next question was a good one. Which of the existing SCOTUS justices would you have NOT nominated. Obama sounded pretty surprised at the question. He said Clarence Thomas, he ended up saying something along the lines of how he doesn't like the executive branch encroaching where the Constitution didn't intend (nominating someone because he/she is a Democrat or a Republican and would be considered reliable to rule liberally or conservatively)

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
Well, the next question was a good one. Which of the existing SCOTUS justices would you have NOT nominated. Obama sounded pretty surprised at the question. He said Clarence Thomas, he ended up saying something along the lines of how he doesn't like the executive branch encroaching where the Constitution didn't intend (nominating someone because he/she is a Democrat or a Republican and would be considered reliable to rule liberally or conservatively)

well he bs'd that answer. i guarantee he nominates a liberal Democrat to the supreme court.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
well he bs'd that answer. i guarantee he nominates a liberal Democrat to the supreme court.

I agree with what he said in principle though and I wish presidents actually practiced this more. I mean, I hear conservatives b**** a lot about Reagan's O'Connor and Kennedy appointments whenever they don't give a standard conservative ruling, but in reality they look at each case in a vacuum and interpret according to the Constitution, not ideology. People can't complain about "activist judges" (as if most people knew what this actually meant or used it correctly) when they just complained that the judge didn't rule liberally or conservatively.

McCain just stole one of Obama's stump speech lines... lol it was pretty blatant. These are some pretty difficult questions though.

edit: btw McCain gave the same answer, but with more BS, and used the term "activist judges" but then applauded the nomination of Alito and Roberts right after he named all the liberal judges... um yeah John

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)

My policy on the supreme court is to keep it balanced and even. Since it's an odd number of people, it'll tip one way or another depending on the president. There is never such a thing as a complete fair court. People bring in their own beliefs and biases. So, I would be in favor of 4 "liberal", 4 "conservative", and a swing judge. I absolutely dont believe in "Activist" courts that are so heavily tilted in one direction that the minority is largely ignored.

I think of all the questions, Obama NAILED the stem cell question. I used to be against stem cell research until about 6 months ago or so. Then I heard that the stem cells were coming from embryos that were about to be "thrown out" (a fact interestingly left out by most anti-stem cell groups). I had never heard that before. And I thought, "wait, so it's better to just throw them out then use them for good?"

If stem cells research is so bad, shouldn't in vitro fertilization be protested by pro-life groups?

I knew Obama was pro-stem cell, but I've never heard that same opinion out of him before.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Well I decided to watch the question answer session with the pastor when it was replayed on FOX. There were some good questions and McCain had his best showing by a large margin thus far in the campaign.

I thought so too. He was actually talking about HIM and what HE thinks. I think they both had pretty good showings actually.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
as opposed too.....?

Obama this Obama that Obama is stupid Obama sucks don't vote for Obama vote for me because if Obama is elected you won't like him Obama just said something and it's silly Obama Obama Obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

He probably mentions Obama's name in his ads more than his own. This is the first time since the primaries that I've seen McCain spending so much time talking about himself.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
Obama this Obama that Obama is stupid Obama sucks don't vote for Obama vote for me because if Obama is elected you won't like him Obama just said something and it's silly Obama Obama Obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

He probably mentions Obama's name in his ads more than his own. This is the first time since the primaries that I've seen McCain spending so much time talking about himself.

Ah yes Obama. John McSame John McSaaaaaaaammmee :crying

seriously though, the majority of what Obama talks about. How McCain is actually a GW Bush clone. No real high ground on this one.