Would today be a good day to start Brian Anderson?

Bubba Philips

Paulie is struggling at the plate. Batting just 3 for 16 .188, I'm sure he'll start hitting..Today, against Verlander, we could let Paulie sit out . We let Konerko sit out today start Swisher, who would bat left handed, at first and use Anderson in Swishers spot?

Edited by forrestg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Konerko has a career line of .150/.150/.150/.300 w/ 7 K, 0 BB and 3 singles vs Verlander. In other words; dreadful.

With a contact pitcher in Buehrle on the mound, Konerko's early season struggles to go along with his historical s***iness vs Verlander you could maybe justify the move.

One thing's for sure with Quentin in LF and Anderson in center the big boppers for Detroit would have a tough time finding the left centerfield gap.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
I like Brian, but if he didn't start against Robertson, he's not starting against Verlander...Verlander is one of the last pitchers I'd run a kid against who hasn't even had an at bat this year (i think).

At least Anderson has reached base twice (BB & 1B) vs Verlander in 5 career PA.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Seriously, I think Anderson is just never going to be given a fair shot. I think I'm finally going to let go and find another manlove.

With Quentin's potential and the way he's started off this season there's just no room for Brian. There's no excuse for him not being in CF in say the 8th or 9th inning of EVERY close game this season but aside from the occasional start to give one of the old guys some rest there's just no room in the lineup for Brian Anderson right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
With Quentin's potential and the way he's started off this season there's just no room for Brian. There's no excuse for him not being in CF in say the 8th or 9th inning of EVERY close game this season but aside from the occasional start to give one of the old guys some rest there's just no room in the lineup for Brian Anderson right now.

But you don't even want to give Brian a chance? Why does Quetin deserve it and not him? He had a hell of a spring, and we know hes proven on defense, and we're just gonna sit him on the pine. I don't get it.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
But you don't even want to give Brian a chance? Why does Quetin deserve it and not him? He had a hell of a spring, and we know hes proven on defense, and we're just gonna sit him on the pine. I don't get it.

Carlos Quentin is just a better baseball player IMO, he was always rated higher as a prospect, put up much better numbers than Brian in the minors, had a monster rookie season (in extremely limited ABs), finished off Spring Training with some outstanding play and has made the absolute most out of his opportunity to play thus far in 2008. The better question is; how do you justify sitting down Carlos Quentin at this point? I don't think you can.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Carlos Quentin is just a better baseball player IMO, he was always rated higher as a prospect, put up much better numbers than Brian in the minors, had a monster rookie season (in extremely limited ABs), finished off Spring Training with some outstanding play and has made the absolute most out of his opportunity to play thus far in 2008. The better question is; how do you justify sitting down Carlos Quentin at this point? I don't think you can.

I can justify it by saying he's still extremely young, and we have other young players that need to be given a chance too. I've always been a fan of the theory that we need to put the best team on the field at all times, and I can't say that we have that right now, ONLY because BA hasn't been given his fair chance. Why not let Brian and Quetin rotate for a few weeks, and see what we have? If Quetin out-performs, fine, let him have it, I'd be fine with that, but I think its pretty agreed upon that Brian seems to have turned the corner.

I just want to see what the kid can do at this level. Besides, if he can do well, maybe next year we have an outfield of Swisher-BA-Quetin. That's probably even the best solution now with how old Dye is getting (although, he is raking at the plate right now).

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Seriously, I think Anderson is just never going to be given a fair shot. I think I'm finally going to let go and find another manlove.

Would Mark Bradley or Mike Brown on the Bears do? Those are mine

i don't get the love for brian anderson. he greatly disapointed me in years past. he always seemed to be ecstatic just being in the big leagues. he wasn't very professional and might be the worst hitter that I can remember. i mean he stunk up the joint. the only reasons why i can see some calling for anderson is based on #'s he put up in spring training or because he is the only natural centerfielder on the roster right now.

Carolos Quentin-Nick Swisher-Jermaine Dye

That's nice, real nice. I don't think you fix what isn't broken.

Whaaaa?!!!

:lolhitting

Did you forget about 2006? Anderson could barely hit above .200! he's got a nice arm but that's about it.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
Whaaaa?!!!

Did you forget about 2006? Anderson could barely hit above .200! he's got a nice arm but that's about it.

And the fact that he is one of the best defensive centerfielders in the game is nothing to shake a stick at either?

And the fact that he is one of the best defensive centerfielders in the game is nothing to shake a stick at either?

That's quite the praise for a player who can barely break a big league line up. I'm confident most teams would choose dozens of CF's before they would even consider Brian Anderson...lol...and most of them would take players like Chris Young b4 anderson too.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
That's quite the praise for a player who can barely break a big league line up. I'm confident most teams would choose dozens of CF's before they would even consider Brian Anderson...lol...and most of them would take players like Chris Young b4 anderson too.

Did I say anything about choosing other centerfielders over BA? You say he has a good arm, and thats about it. Sorry, his defense is very highly rated, he saves runs in the outfield, that in itself makes him valuable to other GMs, most likely in a platoon/defensive replacement role until he proves he cannot hit.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Today would be a good day to DH JD, start Quentin in RF, move Swisher to LF, and give BA the nod in CF.

Why DH JD? Thome has a hell of a history against Verlander, there's no reason he should be left out of the order.

Whaaaa?!!!

Would you have written off Greg Maddux after 1987? I'm not saying Anderson is as good as Maddux, but giving a guy one half-assed shot to prove himself and then writing him off for good when he did not do so well is completely stupid.

People b**** about our farm system not producing anything, but how are they supposed to produce results if they can't even get a shot to play. Sweeney was screwed out of playing time too when he was called up after Thome went on the DL last year. McCarthy was stuck in the bullpen.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
Why DH JD? Thome has a hell of a history against Verlander, there's no reason he should be left out of the order.

Because it'd be nice to give an aging player who was banged up for much of last year a rest. But I didn't consider Thome's history against Verlander, so perhaps you have a point. Benching JD would be a bad idea now with the way that he's been hitting.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
i don't get the love for brian anderson. he greatly disapointed me in years past. he always seemed to be ecstatic just being in the big leagues. he wasn't very professional and might be the worst hitter that I can remember. i mean he stunk up the joint. the only reasons why i can see some calling for anderson is based on #'s he put up in spring training or because he is the only natural centerfielder on the roster right now.

Carolos Quentin-Nick Swisher-Jermaine Dye

That's nice, real nice. I don't think you fix what isn't broken.

He was disappointing in one half of one year. Granted he was severely disappointing but that was 2 years ago. He's admitted he wanted to be in the big leagues without putting in all the work to be a good player at the big league level (close to his exact words) and that since then he's changed his outlook and attitude, and done a lot of work on his mechanics. His awful swing, which was his #1 problem, looks completely different now and he offers more than just hope that he can actually hit MLB pitching now.

However, with that being said, it just kind of sucks to be Anderson right now. Quentin is hot, Swisher is a franchise player now, and Dye is Dye.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Konerko has a career line of .150/.150/.150/.300 w/ 7 K, 0 BB and 3 singles vs Verlander. In other words; dreadful.

With a contact pitcher in Buehrle on the mound, Konerko's early season struggles to go along with his historical s***iness vs Verlander you could maybe justify the move.

One thing's for sure with Quentin in LF and Anderson in center the big boppers for Detroit would have a tough time finding the left centerfield gap.

What, in 16 AB's? Wow, what a huge sample size! Paulie might be going through a bit of a funk right now, and hasn't had great success vs. Verlander, but you don't bench your big bopper vs. a team's ace... especially this early into the season. Plus, Verlander has a great fastball and PK is a fastball hitter. This is as bad as people who wanted Thome benched vs. Sabathia because he hasn't gotten a lot of hits vs. him in 11 AB's.

Give me a freaking break... you know you can sometimes overmanage, and benching players like Thome and Konerko vs. a pitcher they haven't had great success in 10 some AB's would be a case of that.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Because it'd be nice to give an aging player who was banged up for much of last year a rest. But I didn't consider Thome's history against Verlander, so perhaps you have a point. Benching JD would be a bad idea now with the way that he's been hitting.

Jesus Christ, it's 5 going on 6 games into the season. By the way you are talking, you'd think they haven't had a day off in 20 days.