When did black become our primary uniform?

FlaCWS

Since the Sox played a day game today, how about a light topic for the night: When and why did the black uni's go from being our alternates to our primaries? Personally I hate it, as I think the home pinstripes are one of the classiest uniforms in MLB, and the road grays with script "Chicago" convey hometown pride. The black was always cool once a week, as a nice change of pace, but seeing them everyday makes it feel like we're still in spring training.

So I was just curious if I missed an announcement about this...

OK, end of rant. Play ball!

I agree 100%

Those uniforms used to be badass when they wore them rarely and were the only team that really had an alternate jersey.

I started a uniform count with the W-L as well. Maybe I'll put it in my sig...

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
There we go...in the sig now.

Wow, I didn't even realize they've worn the black for all but TWO games. That is ridiculous.

To the point about superstition, as far as I recall they didn't wear the black in any of the '05 playoff or WS games.

WhiteSox1.bmp

QUOTE (FlaCWS @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
Since the Sox played a day game today, how about a light topic for the night: When and why did the black uni's go from being our alternates to our primaries? Personally I hate it, as I think the home pinstripes are one of the classiest uniforms in MLB, and the road grays with script "Chicago" convey hometown pride. The black was always cool once a week, as a nice change of pace, but seeing them everyday makes it feel like we're still in spring training.

So I was just curious if I missed an announcement about this...

OK, end of rant. Play ball!

It's to honor Jackie Robinson. Duh...

You don't like it? Fine, be a racist.

QUOTE (FlaCWS @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
Wow, I didn't even realize they've worn the black for all but TWO games. That is ridiculous.

To the point about superstition, as far as I recall they didn't wear the black in any of the '05 playoff or WS games.

WhiteSox1.bmp

Well because their favorite jerseys, especially Jon Garland's favorite, the white vests were retired which I think is dumb. Those were my favorite jerseys by far. They wore those in the playoffs until they lost. I personally like the black jerseys best, now that those are gone.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
I've never been a big fan of the grays, but I love the white pinstripes.

I don't disagree, but pinstriped baseball jerseys aren't exactly unique.

Personally, I luv the black jerseys and think they're badass. It's nice to see the team wear them often.

I love the black ones. Maybe it's been surperstitious so far this year...but I think the hotter it gets the less we'll see them. I honestly think though the white pinstripes are my least favorite of them all...especially after nixing the vests..those were awesome IMO. Why'd the get rid of them? I love Colorado's black vests they wear.

I loved all 4 of the jerseys, and I'm sad to hear the vests got retired. I had no idea.

I think the black tops look great and I agree we'll start seeing them less as the weather warms up. There was nothing better than seeing the black alternate unis come out when the team needed to turn a losing streak around. Badass fo' sure.

The black "alternate" is my favorite jersey. The more the better.

QUOTE (FlaCWS @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)

WhiteSox1.bmp

I don't think MLB allows teams to wear alternate jerseys during the playoffs. I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any team wearing an alternate during a playoff or WS game.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
I loved all 4 of the jerseys, and I'm sad to hear the vests got retired. I had no idea.

I think the black tops look great and I agree we'll start seeing them less as the weather warms up. There was nothing better than seeing the black alternate unis come out when the team needed to turn a losing streak around. Badass fo' sure.

The white pinstripes are my favorite, but I agree that you can't go wrong with the others.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
Didn't the jersey selection used to be starting pitcher's preference?? I thought I heard that somewhere.

anyway for the record:

white pinstripe :headbang

all black :headbang

vest of any color GODAWFUL

I'm glad they got retired

You probably heard it two posts earlier.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
where did you all find out about the vests being retired?

Unis (and diamonds) are forever

March 28, 2008, 3:41 PM ET

• No more sleeveless alternate jersey for the White Sox -- it's been mothballed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/080325