GPS Units

ChiSox_Sonix

So i'm looking into buying a GPS for my car and i'd like to get a good one with a good amount of features (ie bluetooth). I'm willing to spend up to about $500 or maybe a little more. Does anyone have one they'd recommend or know whats considered one of the better ones? I've read some reviews online at circuit city already but any help from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use a Garmin eTrex Legend but a much different application. I use it for various outdoor sports like GeoCaching, backpacking, fishing, etc. I've been happy with Garmin in that arena.

My parents, who do a lot of road trips, love their Garmin in car unit. I'm not certain what model it is.

From what I have observed teaching people to use portables, the menu system is everything. If possible, walk up to various models and see which ones are the most intuitive for you. For example my Legend menus are very similar to Windows. So it made "sense" to me right away.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:31 AM)
This will be for my car almost exclusively.

OK. I am only really knowledgeable on the portables - I have a Garmin eTrex Vista, and a pair of Garmin Rino's that have 15-mile 2-way radios integrated with the GPS unit.

But I will say two things. One, Garmin is a great brand, and I highly recommend it. Two, some car units can receive real-time traffic info and update routes accordingly - I would recommend getting that.

BTW, I should add, in addition to my GPS, I have a map and compass and the ability to use them.

Further, when using the GPS on unfamiliar roads, be careful. In the past couple years people have died by taking secondary roads that are not good routes in winter.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 6, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
So i'm looking into buying a GPS for my car and i'd like to get a good one with a good amount of features (ie bluetooth). I'm willing to spend up to about $500 or maybe a little more. Does anyone have one they'd recommend or know whats considered one of the better ones? I've read some reviews online at circuit city already but any help from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not getting a portable one.

But if you do, take it with you out of your car, they are stolen in min here in chicago.

Get a second generation iPhone...look up Google Maps (or any other online mapping service)...go to destination.

My friend's GPS almost made us miss a plane. It took us to the mailing address for the airport, which was completely on the opposite side of the terminal.

Garmin's are quite user friendly. I have used one and my parents have one. I'd definitely recommend them.

A guy at work has a Tom Tom and has had major problems with it. Most of our technicians have bought them now and almost all have Garmins.

I usually recommend people the magellan or garmin. Personally I think the Magellans are a bit nicer. Both have voice commands and touch screens and whatnot. But the models at my Sears atleast, the Magellan offers a bigger screen and a few more features. Unless you want to go all out id suggest the Magellan 4200 or I think for Garmin its the Nav300

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 7, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
I ended up going with a Garmin nuvi 760...it should come in sometime in the the next few days. We'll see how it works when i drive up to Boston in a few weeks

It probably won't. GPS is useless in Boston. I had to use my Verizon GPS (VZ Navigator) on my phone to get out of there. It didn't have a clue where the streets were going. If it works I will be very impressed.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
It probably won't. GPS is useless in Boston. I had to use my Verizon GPS (VZ Navigator) on my phone to get out of there. It didn't have a clue where the streets were going. If it works I will be very impressed.

Well i have to pick up a friend in Niskayuna first and we're technically going to the boston metropolitan area only, a town on the outskirts so we wont have to drive directly through the city I dont think. But hopefully it wont be an issue regardless, these things arent cheap.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
Well i have to pick up a friend in Niskayuna first and we're technically going to the boston metropolitan area only, a town on the outskirts so we wont have to drive directly through the city I dont think. But hopefully it wont be an issue regardless, these things arent cheap.

Oh, well you'll be fine if you aren't downtown. Where do you live? I'm in Guilderland right now, I work with a guy who lives in Niskayuna.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Oh, well you'll be fine if you aren't downtown. Where do you live? I'm in Guilderland right now, I work with a guy who lives in Niskayuna.

For now i live in Binghamton, so other than for road trips i dont have much of a use for a GPS, but i have friends from school all over the albany area (ravenna, delmar, latham, bethlehem etc..)