Sox (17-17) @ Seattle (14-23) 9:10 PM

G&T

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
Definitely one of the stranger plays I've seen but it was a hell of a heads-up play. It's the kind of thing that makes you wonder howcome Uribe isn't playing SS over Cabrera if he's going to be in the lineup.

Who'd play 2nd?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
I really like watching Uribe throw, he really has a cannon. I wonder if he's ever pitched before? Not as a professional, obviously.

If there was only a Designated Fielder position........................

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
Who'd play 2nd?

Cabrera, if he isn't in your long-term plans :huh

Not necessarily saying they should just go out and switch Uribe and Cabrera, just that I think Uribe's the better fielding SS. I guess when Richar comes back this will all be a moot point.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
Cabrera, if he isn't in your long-term plans :huh

Not necessarily saying they should just go out and switch Uribe and Cabrera, just that I think Uribe's the better fielding SS. I guess when Richar comes back this will all be a moot point.

Can Cabrera play 2nd?

QUOTE (aprec32 @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
If there was only a Designated Fielder position........................

There are times when I half-jokingly wondered if we could just DH for Uribe and let the pitcher hit.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
There are times when I half-jokingly wondered if we could just DH for Uribe and let the pitcher hit.

Uribe has been hitting fairly well the last week or so. No hits tonight, but 2 walks.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Can Cabrera play 2nd?

My line of thinking is if he can play SS he can definitely play 2nd since it's the same basic skill set. But he would need to have played there some in ST first.

However, I just don't think they still thought they'd have Uribe on the team when they traded for Cabrera, and Uribe is just kind of at 2nd by default after an unexpected turn of events.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)

with some of uribe's at-bats i would let contreras hit instead, and you know how bad he is

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
Uribe has been hitting fairly well the last week or so. No hits tonight, but 2 walks.

That's common for Uribe though. When he gets hot he is red-hot. Then when he cools off he becomes an automatic out for a while. Then he will get hot for another 10 days.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)

I know....its just the overall body of work. I just wonder whats going on in his head sometimes.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
My line of thinking is if he can play SS he can definitely play 2nd since it's the same basic skill set. But he would need to have played there some in ST first.

However, I just don't think they still thought they'd have Uribe on the team when they traded for Cabrera, and Uribe is just kind of at 2nd by default after an unexpected turn of events.

Yes, maybe ... but we know Juan can play 2nd very well. Switching them just might weaken our IF defense. It might strengthen it too, but we don't know if Cabrera can turn the DP from that side of the bag. That is an acquired skill in most cases.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 11, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
Yes, maybe ... but we know Juan can play 2nd very well. Switching them just might weaken our IF defense. It might strengthen it too, but we don't know if Cabrera can turn the DP from that side of the bag. That is an acquired skill in most cases.

They just didn't know Uribe was going to see so much playing time, if I'm not mistaken Richar had already been penciled in as the starter before he got hurt.

I know he takes a beating here but I do think Cabrera is a pretty smart ballplayer though for what it's worth and he could handle it. Again, not going out on a limb and saying they should go do it, just hypotheticals/armchair managing.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 10, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Oh ... one other note. Greg Maddox got career win #350 tonight.

good for him. kinda like buerhle where he doesnt have the nasty stuff, just knows how to pitch. surprised hoffman didnt blow it for him again

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
with some of uribe's at-bats i would let contreras hit instead, and you know how bad he is

For a #9 hitter I'll take his bat and all the K's that usually go with it solely for times like right now when he's hitting the ball and taking walks. The offense just seems completely different when he's on. This is being typed without taking the defensive side of his game into account, which alone should quell Uribe detracters.

Say both OCab and Juan are gone next year. There's Richar to cover second, but would Alexei be better than Juan? Hell no. If he stays up here in Chicago then there's no way I would do that unless I was in the midst of a major rebuilding process ala a typical Florida Marlins season. With Dye, Thome, Swish, Quentin, Fields, and AJ all probably coming back, and our staff performing as they are+ K-Dubs unwillingness to concede a season (with what we have now I wouldn't either), that seems unlikely. For that reason he needs to see regular AB's in Charlotte. Given the mindset of this organization, Juan's hot streaks aren't of benefit to Ramirez' future at all. I'm guessing he doesn't visit N.C. until Richar's good to go though.

Edited by ChiSox35