Two pitchers, two mysteries

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 18, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Even if you dont like him and the way he presents himself on a broadcast, he has been around the game for 49 years and has seen and been a part of more games than any one of us. Homer or not, he knows the game pretty well

Exactly.

That's why when you added green originally to my quoted text, it puzzled me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ May 18, 2008 -> 07:30 AM)
Did you seriously call Ken Harrelson, "Hack"?

The man may be repetitive, but he knows more baseball than you know.

lol, simple spelling mistake. I have respect for Hawk, and he knows more about baseball than me, but sometimes he exerts major stupidity. Like the one time he was talking about how lefties like hitting off of lefties, which is pure insanity. There have been other things as well this season.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2008 -> 05:32 AM)
I was just wondering, can someone tell me what Zito's problem has been for the past couple of years? Has it been his location or the fact he throws BP fastballs that has caused him to get knocked around?

According to this article, it is his location and velocity, but more location

And they need him to be a lot better than 0-5 with a 5.61 ERA. Righetti said Zito is going through a "transition period in his career" now that he has lost velocity. The two have worked on things in the bullpen that Righetti said Zito has not taken to the mound yet. One problem is the lack of movement on Zito's fastballs.

"When you're a lefty and you're a little straight, you have to be fine," Righetti said. "You're going to have to be more of a corner guy."

Zito spent a lot of spring training working on his mechanics. Now, he needs to work on throwing the ball where he wants it to go. Too often he does not. The belt-high fastball that Arizona pitcher Brandon Webb raked for a two-run double Tuesday night was supposed to be low and away. That perplexes Righetti, who said, "Some of it is concentration. We know he can do it. He has some bullpens when he never misses the catcher's glove."

I know its hard for you to understand that pitchers can exist and succeed while losing velocity, but every pitcher loses MPH over the years. The good ones overcome that and become better for it while incorporating more junk, the bad ones get bounced from the league. The difference with Buehrle is that he hasnt lost all of the velocity he had, he still pitches in the high 80's, he just gets killed when he leaves the ball over the plate because hitters know he is going to throw strikes and that he pitches to contact.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 19, 2008 -> 05:32 AM)
I was just wondering, can someone tell me what Zito's problem has been for the past couple of years? Has it been his location or the fact he throws BP fastballs that has caused him to get knocked around?

Zito and Buerhle are 2 very different pitchers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2008 -> 06:08 AM)
Zito and Buerhle are 2 very different pitchers.

He is going to keep harping on loss of velocity as the fall of modern day civilization....errr baseball as we know it, so we might as well humor him