Uribe playing ss in Charlotte?

rokimar

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 29, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Anyone notice that Uribe has been playing ss and not 2b in Charlotte? Does this mean that when he comes back he is our utility man?

hopefully.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
Anyone notice that Uribe has been playing ss and not 2b in Charlotte? Does this mean that when he comes back he is our utility man?

Maybe, but keep in mind that Danny Richar is also on rehab down there, so he's likely going to be at 2B, since that's his true position. And there is Getz too. Second base is just too crowded in Charlotte, I think that's the main reason.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 29, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)

Don't read too much into a rehab assignment. My guess is Uribe is our 2B and Ramirez is the utilityman again. Uribe has more power than Alexei and hits for about the same average. Alexei has my vote to stay with the big team though.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
Don't read too much into a rehab assignment. My guess is Uribe is our 2B and Ramirez is the utilityman again. Uribe has more power than Alexei and hits for about the same average. Alexei has my vote to stay with the big team though.

Alexei's average is skewed downward by his first 6 weeks or so of sporadic at-bats where he was completely overmatched. When he's fully adjusted, whenever that is, I have to imagine his average will dwarf Uribe's, and he'll probably have a higher OPS too (not that that's hard to do at all).

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)

Well, Ramirez has been playing very well since he's had regular at bats not to mention he just struggled adjusting to the major league game. Not saying Ramirez is the answer but he has an upside at this point which Uribe just doesn't.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)

We have enough power on the team, I would rather have Uribe as the utility guy and play Ramirez everyday. He is hitting for average for the last month, and ads speed to the mix.

My biggest concern with Uribe as a utility guy on the bench is that he would bring nothing to the table as a pinch hitter. You cant bring pinch hit him when you need a bunt, or if you need to move the runner over, or even just a sac fly cause chances are he'll strike out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
My biggest concern with Uribe as a utility guy on the bench is that he would bring nothing to the table as a pinch hitter. You cant bring pinch hit him when you need a bunt, or if you need to move the runner over, or even just a sac fly cause chances are he'll strike out.

IIRC, there was a period in 2005 when Uribe was actually leading the league in sac flies.

Never in my wildest dreams would I ever come close to think of saying that I miss Uribe at SS. But I'd be lying through my ass if I said I didn't. At least he puts the team before himself, and always has...

[/quot

Only place I'm going to miss Uribe is in Charlotte. OC is going to finish the year of solid as much as he may not like playing in Chicago.

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ May 29, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)

Richar and Uribe have been alternating between 2nd and SS day to day. Getz is playing some LF too.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Never in my wildest dreams would I ever come close to think of saying that I miss Uribe at SS. But I'd be lying through my ass if I said I didn't. At least he puts the team before himself, and always has...

Oh for f***'s sake, the team is winning and Cabrera is playing well and you're b****ing about it because Cabrera didn't want an error charged to him?

Maybe when you see Uribe come back up and hit .220 the rest of the way you'll remember why you think he's a terrible baseball player.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ May 29, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Getting Uribe work at short is good insurance for when OC gets launched

I think that is Alexei's job if OC gets launched (likely after the season). No reason to do it now as even with the issues, we are winning and he is starting to hit. Uribe may be launched sooner.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Oh for f***'s sake, the team is winning and Cabrera is playing well and you're b****ing about it because Cabrera didn't want an error charged to him?

Maybe when you see Uribe come back up and hit .220 the rest of the way you'll remember why you think he's a terrible baseball player.

It's funny...whenever you have an angry post, I picture the baby in your avatar saying it because of the look.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)

I was going to say, off the field issues be damned, Cabrera has been much much better than Juan Uribe. I realize Uribe is special defensively but some of you are making it out to be that OC has been bad defensively. He hasn't been a gold glover, but he's easily still one of the 6 best defensive shortstops in baseball and that isn't too shabby. Offensively, even after his horrid start, he's light-years better than the blackhole named Uribe.

Come on people, Cabrera is a significant upgrade over Uribe. The key is to find a significant upgrade over Uribe at 2B. Maybe Ramirez/Richar/Getz will be that guy and prove it this year. Ramirez still has some massive holes in his swing but his raw abilities have helped make him relatively productive (to an extent, he's still not great, but I can live with it as long as he keeps playing good defense and improving because he has the ability to turn into an above average offensive 2nd baseman).

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 30, 2008 -> 06:38 AM)
I think that is Alexei's job if OC gets launched (likely after the season). No reason to do it now as even with the issues, we are winning and he is starting to hit. Uribe may be launched sooner.

I still would be shocked if the Sox thought that highly of Ramirez to have him start out at SS next season. My guess is the Sox will clear some payroll in other places and make a significant push at Rafael Furcal or make some other acquisition (maybe a prospect). In house, I really don't consider Ramirez a viable SS candidate. Yes he has the arm, but all around I'm not expecting him to dominate the next 5-10 years at SS. I still think if he played there on a daily basis we'd see very high error totals and with a team built around strong pitching, the last thing you want to do is be poor defensively up the middle.