starting pitcher 09 Clayton Richard??

rokimar

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
I think either one of Richard and Broadway could be deadline deal trade bait... Kenny smells blood in the water and wants to win this. I really expect a deal to be done here by the 4th of July.

You reminded me of something I wanted to ask a few weeks ago... if we make a trade what would it be for? You can never have enough pitching, so maybe that? A leadoff hitter?

In Richard's two AAA starts... 14 innings; 3 runs; 7 hits; 12 K's; and 0 walks... for a 1.97 ERA and 0.50 WHIP.

Last night he averaged throwing less than 10 pitches per inning... and averaged around 7 strikes and 3 balls per inning. Two of the three hits he gave up came in the 7th inning. Before that, he completely dominated them. He was perfect going into the 5th inning.

What I like about this (his development) is that it gives us starting pitching depth. I'm more than a little concerned about Danks' (and Floyd's) ability to go deep into the season inning-wise. Danks pitched 139 innings last year. To avoid the risk of injury, he probably shouldn't exceed 170 this year. That could leave us hanging without a lefty late in the season... and playoffs. So, IMO, we don't trade Richard. We hope he continues to do well, and call him up late in the year to spot start and help extend Danks' season.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
You reminded me of something I wanted to ask a few weeks ago... if we make a trade what would it be for? You can never have enough pitching, so maybe that? A leadoff hitter?

LEadoff hitter for sure. Most likely a second baseman, with Ramirez becoming a supersub.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
LEadoff hitter for sure. Most likely a second baseman, with Ramirez becoming a supersub.

Man, if we can get a leadoff hitter, I would be very excited about this team! Who is out there that we can get? I know Roberts has been talked about here, is he really a legit option? What would it take to get him? Would it be worth it? I guess that last question would only be answered after the season, seeing how far we go. But who else is there?

my personal choice would be Chone Figgins, if available. The Angels could use some more pitching... the question is do we sacrifice someone like Contreras for Figgins, and hope one of Broadway/Richard/Massett/Egbert could step in his place?

EDIT: Looking at it again, with the emergence of Saunders and Santana, the Angels don't really need someone like Contreras.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
my personal choice would be Chone Figgins, if available. The Angels could use some more pitching... the question is do we sacrifice someone like Contreras for Figgins, and hope one of Broadway/Richard/Massett/Egbert could step in his place?

EDIT: Looking at it again, with the emergence of Saunders and Santana, the Angels don't really need someone like Contreras.

Contreras is the obvious person to trade from the pitching staff this offseason if we're trying to clear a spot. The way he's pitching I'm becoming less convinced that we need to move him, we're in a place where we could hold him and offer arbitration and either get him for 1 more year for comparatively cheap or we wind up with 2 draft picks since he's rapidly pitching himself back on to the A list.

But, if we're going to trade Jose, there are a few teams I absolutely don't want us talking to. The Angels, the Red Sox, the D-Rays, the Cubs, and the usual AL Central competitors. I don't care if they're offering up a better deal than anyone else, they better offer up an ungodly ransom before we have Jose pitching against us in the ALCS.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)

Where would Figgins play? I am pretty happy with Crede, Ramirez, Cabrera, Quentin, Dye, and Swisher is coming arround. If we give up a starter I dont think the upgrade at any of those positions is worth more than the downgrade at starting pitcher. Thome and Konerko are hurting our offense and Figgins will not replace either of those 2. Thome is starting to come arround too and Konerko will hopefully turn it on when he comes of the DL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
Contreras is the obvious person to trade from the pitching staff this offseason if we're trying to clear a spot. The way he's pitching I'm becoming less convinced that we need to move him, we're in a place where we could hold him and offer arbitration and either get him for 1 more year for comparatively cheap or we wind up with 2 draft picks since he's rapidly pitching himself back on to the A list.

But, if we're going to trade Jose, there are a few teams I absolutely don't want us talking to. The Angels, the Red Sox, the D-Rays, the Cubs, and the usual AL Central competitors. I don't care if they're offering up a better deal than anyone else, they better offer up an ungodly ransom before we have Jose pitching against us in the ALCS.

I believe Contreras is signed through 09, so we have still for one more season after this one.

The only two players I see making sense for us is Figgins and Roberts, as 2B is the only place where there seems to a bit of an opening. Either 2B or another OF to pretty much rotate with Swisher, Konerko, Thome, and Dye.

I wonder, what would it cost to get Roberts? Richar, Broadway, Anderson, + some more?

QUOTE (north side chi sox fan @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Where would Figgins play? I am pretty happy with Crede, Ramirez, Cabrera, Quentin, Dye, and Swisher is coming arround. If we give up a starter I dont think the upgrade at any of those positions is worth more than the downgrade at starting pitcher. Thome and Konerko are hurting our offense and Figgins will not replace either of those 2. Thome is starting to come arround too and Konerko will hopefully turn it on when he comes of the DL.

Figgins would play 2B while giving Crede days off at 3B and perhaps even playing the OF once in a while.

I don't if this is at all possible, but if we could get Figgins and Morales for Contreras, I'd do that deal.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
I believe Contreras is signed through 09, so we have still for one more season after this one.

The only two players I see making sense for us is Figgins and Roberts, as 2B is the only place where there seems to a bit of an opening. Either 2B or another OF to pretty much rotate with Swisher, Konerko, Thome, and Dye.

I wonder, what would it cost to get Roberts? Richar, Broadway, Anderson, + some more?

Probably Richar + at least one pitcher who is near MLB-ready i.e. Egbert/Broadway. The Orioles need starting pitching. They have no use whatsoever for outfielders since Markakis is a perennial All-Star, there is a good chance Jones will be as well, and Luke Scott is solid and is eventually going to be replaced by a plus prospect whose name I forget. So they have no use for Anderson at all unless he's just tossed in the deal.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Probably Richar + at least one pitcher who is near MLB-ready i.e. Egbert/Broadway. The Orioles need starting pitching. They have no use whatsoever for outfielders since Markakis is a perennial All-Star, there is a good chance Jones will be as well, and Luke Scott is solid and is eventually going to be replaced by a plus prospect whose name I forget. So they have no use for Anderson at all unless he's just tossed in the deal.

I think frankly you're dramatically underestimating what it will take for this team to get Roberts from the Orioles. The price someone quoted a few days ago was one of Danks/Floyd, plus Alexei, plus another player, which is probably closer to true.

If I'm in the Orioles' GM's seat, Here's who the Sox have that would interest me, in order.

Quentin (I'd do Roberts straight up for him).

Danks

Floyd

Alexei

Poreda

Swisher

Broadway

Richar

Anderson

Potential throw-ins like Cook.

If I'm not getting 2 of the top 5 on that list (Unless you're willing to trade that Quentin guy, he seems pretty good), then you're not getting Roberts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
I think frankly you're dramatically underestimating what it will take for this team to get Roberts from the Orioles. The price someone quoted a few days ago was one of Danks/Floyd, plus Alexei, plus another player, which is probably closer to true.

I said "at least." As in I think that's the absolute minimum. Richar to fill in for Floyd obviously, plus one or both of our AAA pitchers (or Fields if it's one) I think would be most likely. More than that, and it starts to really not be worth it.

I wouldn't do that deal though. We're thin enough at the top as it is.

Edited by lostfan

Trading our prospects doesn't make a lot of sense and that has been a knock on the orgainization lately. If we have real good pitching prospects the next two or three years could see a makeover of our rotation by moving the youth into the mix.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)

If I'm in the Orioles' GM's seat, Here's who the Sox have that would interest me, in order.

Quentin (I'd do Roberts straight up for him).

Danks

Floyd

Alexei

Poreda

Swisher

Broadway

Richar

Anderson

Potential throw-ins like Cook.

If I'm not getting 2 of the top 5 on that list (Unless you're willing to trade that Quentin guy, he seems pretty good), then you're not getting Roberts.

I know I might get blasted for this, but I would do Quentin for Roberts straight up in a second.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
And there's a reason you'd get blasted.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
:o :o

Sorry guys, I should have used green for my post, I thought it was obvious. I love Quentin, and there isn't that much I would trade him for. I think he is going to be a yearly all-star, and the Sox 3 hitter for years to come. There is a reason I have a Quentin jersey, and it wasn't to trade him for a light hitting 2B

Edited by SoxPride56

If Contreras shows he can still pitch throughout this season, then he deserves a spot in the rotation next year. It'll be Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Floyd, Contreras. Now, if Jose shows he's back to the way he pitched last season, then we can make room by trading/releasing him, and then bring up a guy like Richard, Broadway, or Egbert.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Jun 18, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
Sorry guys, I should have used green for my post, I thought it was obvious. I love Quentin, and there isn't that much I would trade him for. I think he is going to be a yearly all-star, and the Sox 3 hitter for years to come. There is a reason I have a Quentin jersey, and it wasn't to trade him for a light hitting 2B

Fair enough...but whenever a player goes into a slump, there's always people who want to run him out of town (myself included).