The Shrine? Why don't they treat it that way?

Steve9347

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
I never gloated to my Cub friends about 2005. I just kept all the enjoyment to myself, and killed them with kindness. You could tell they were jealous anyway.

Not me. My wife and I sent New Year cards out to all our Cub fan friends (and most of them are Cub fans since we live north) that has a picture of us with the WS trophy. The inside said "Have a Championship New Year"

Most of my friends got a kick out of it. When we were younger, I was always the minority.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
I was at the game on Friday, and saw one of the sickest displays of humanity in sports. I always wanted to give Cubs fans their fair shake... "Don't lump them together as mostly idiots," I'd think to myself.

So throughout the game, it's just in fact a beer garden. Half the fans are more occupied with their next beer than what's on the field. Hardly anyone was paying attention to the game. Sure enough though, when those b2b homers were hit in the 7th off Dotel, they were "fans" once again.

The disturbing part of the afternoon was when Aramis hit the walk-off HR. The "Cub fans" who adore Wrigley and call it a shrine launch beers onto the field. Fully clad in White Sox jersey and hat, I'm surprised I didn't get pelted with a beer or two myself, but an innocent 30 or so year old woman got drenched because she had Sox gear on... I can't help but to think had the Cubs followed the law and stopped serving at the 7th inning stretch, maybe every moron in the outfield would not have had a full beer to launch after the Cubs win. They were selling beers right up until that pitch was hit.

All I can say is, sweep or not, I'm proud to say I'm a Sox fan, and not a Cubs fan today.

Many of you need to losen up. I was at the game Sunday in a rooftop and I had a great time. We had a good mix of Cubs and Sox fans and I was wearing my Quentin jersey and Sox hat and didn't get anything but fun ribbing from other drunks (which I returned right back). You better believe I was more concerned about my next beer than the game with the way the Sox were playing.

We all know many very knowledgable Cubs fans and many ignorant Sox fans, just take some less time being envious and enjoy yourself.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
We all know many very knowledgable Cubs fans and many ignorant Sox fans, just take some less time being envious and enjoy yourself.

My original post had nothing to do with envy. If you read it, you'll see I was disgusted with "the norm" at Wrigley being to throw things on the field and at fans of the opposing team. This is not normal in any other stadium I've been too, and I've been to a lot of them.

My co-workers ribbing me because the Cubs swept the Sox? That's fine, I wear my Soxdom on my sleeve and the way they played I deserved it.

Throwing beer at other people, littering the field, yelling at little kids in opposing team's jersies? That's a rarity saved for Wrigley Field.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)
My original post had nothing to do with envy. If you read it, you'll see I was disgusted with "the norm" at Wrigley being to throw things on the field and at fans of the opposing team. This is not normal in any other stadium I've been too, and I've been to a lot of them.

My co-workers ribbing me because the Cubs swept the Sox? That's fine, I wear my Soxdom on my sleeve and the way they played I deserved it.

Throwing beer at other people, littering the field, yelling at little kids in opposing team's jersies? That's a rarity saved for Wrigley Field.

Your original post complains about fans having fun at the game and then cheering for their team when they tie the game up. You're upset Cubs fans had fun. Baseball is entertainment for most people. Not eveybody sits on a message board and reads up on baseball.

Do you think just about every team in the MLB doesn't try to replicate the Wrigley atmosphere? I understand about throwing stuff on the field but I take it you've never been to a Big Ten football game.

Here's a story for you. Last year at the Cell a Sox fan through up into the Cubs bullpen onto people. Like it or not, Sox fans are just as bad as Cubs fans and tend to know just as little as Cubs fans. I actually had Sox fans come up to me and ask me about 'the guy on your jersey, is he good? What does he play?'

Another thing I don't understand is the beer comment. Unless you're fifteen there is a good chance you hung out at the bar right afterwards. I have been to many stadiums in different sports where beer was still served later than is allowed. The rooftop had no beer being served right on que.

Be a leader for Sox fans, not a Cubs hater.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
Your original post complains about fans having fun at the game and then cheering for their team when they tie the game up. You're upset Cubs fans had fun. Baseball is entertainment for most people. Not eveybody sits on a message board and reads up on baseball.

Quite simply: No, it doesn't. I don't know why you want it to.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
This is a great thread. I hate the fans more than the team. Lee, Ramirez, etc. are all great players. It's the fans that get on my nerves. Just today, I've been receiving emails, text from my Cub fan friends gloating about the sweep. It's rather annoying and kinda immature. Just a question for everyone, though. If the tables were turned would you/we do the same? If we sweep them next weekend, I'll be glad we swept them to a) hopefully keep our hold on first place B) shut Cub fans up.

I won't be sending silly messages to people.

I used to because that series used to mean more. Since 2005 and when the banner went up, it's just another three games in the race. If the Cubs ever win a World Series again, they might look at it the same way. The effect of both teams being in first place probably only made it seem like "that much more" to them, and I think they want a little bit of our respect from it, so I can't really blame them for being childish about it. They seek what we've already seen. If the Cubs fans ever see their players jump around on a pitching mound like we saw the Sox in Houston, they'll realize, too, that nothing needs to be said. So I say let them have their fun. It won't matter if they don't hoist a banner.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:47 PM)

What the f***? You're making things up now. It doesn't say that at all.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)

There will be plenty of "Sox fans" doing that very same thing to cubs fans this weekend. Both sides have the drunk, idiot fans, its just there are so many more that would rather do it at wrigley wearing a baby bear on their hat. There are plenty of our fans that do the same crap.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
Many of you need to losen up. I was at the game Sunday in a rooftop and I had a great time. We had a good mix of Cubs and Sox fans and I was wearing my Quentin jersey and Sox hat and didn't get anything but fun ribbing from other drunks (which I returned right back). You better believe I was more concerned about my next beer than the game with the way the Sox were playing.

Agree 100%. This weekend there will be Cubs fans complaining that they got cussed at and beer spilled on them, and then there will be other Cubs fans talking about what a good time the Cell was and what good baseball fans the Sox have. Every fan base in every sport has their good fans and their bad fans. I've definitely seen my share of each at both parks.

As a Lakeview resident and somebody at two of the three games this weekend, allow me to add one here.

1) Enough dissing of Wrigley Field. I love that park as part of my neighborhood; I never want it to leave. I love going to see the Sox play there. It's a totally original ballpark and you'll never see one like it--or in a location like that--again. Yes, it blows compared to the Sox for food and amenities, no doubt. And there's plenty of crappy seats there whereas even in the nosebleeds at the Cell you can see just fine. But it's a Chicago landmark.

2) The new bleachers are spectacularly done. How they did that, building out over the sidewalk instead of out into the sidewalk, was clever. There's much more room to stand/walk, and thank God they added another men's bathroom. They have actual reserved bleacher (meaning: seats) over by the RF foul pole. On a beautiful day/night, you can't get much better than watching the Sox at Wrigley and just taking in all there is going on around you (meaning: on the street, on the rooftops, in the park, on the field).

THAT SAID...

The first thing I noticed walking into the bleachers Saturday was the overwhelming stench of vomit. Somebody obviously had hurled and either it wasn't cleaned up or it didn't matter that it was. Last year I remember being at the hot dog line back there and a drunken fan was standing at the condiment stand... eating his hot dog. With a line of people behind him. He was just that wasted. Typical.

This year that first game a drunken fan came up to me and got in my face, saying "Can I use that jersey to wipe my ass?" Not in a fun, competitive way, but in a goonish, fratboy, aggressive way, as if he was looking for a fight. Good thing he wasn't, because his afternoon would have become tragic.

I have thought for a long time about why I hate their fans so much and besides the behavior listed in this thread and the absolute binge drinking/fratboy atmosphere, I finally figured it out.

Everything with them is to the absolute, total, extreme. There is no dimmer switch. When they win, they go absolutely bats*** and get abusive. When they lose, they go absolutely bats*** and boo their own team and throw s*** on the field. When they blow another playoff, they expect us to all feel sorry for them and their 100 year pathetic record. But when they win, they're the first ones literally in our faces with the taunting and abuse. When they get drunk, they get stinking drunk. When the Sox were in the series in '05, I had a letter printed in the Sun-Times about North Side Sox fans. The following letter they printed was from a Cub fan who swore he would NEVER ever root for us and we weren't even a real Chicago team--after I had written about not trying to "rub it in the faces" of Cubs fans that we were in the Series.

Just to give you another example, a line of them were up in a rooftop in RF and they spent the entire night yelling down at passing women on Sheffield things like "SHOW US YOUR T*TS!"

There was a sketch on an MTV comedy show recently about a fictional bar called "The Dude-Bro Ranch." And the setup was: if you're into Dave Matthews, play hacky-sack and are a fan of date rape, this is the place for you!

Wrigley Field IS the Dude-Bro ranch.

I was thinking about this the other day. Think if Chicago wins the 2016 olympics. Daley would have to build an 80K+ stadium, and after the games it would have to be used for something. Maybe when the redline series happens every year we could play there on neutral ground. That would be sweet.

and LV.....there is no other park like Yankee Stadium as well, and it has more historical events that have happened there, but they still decided to tear it down b/c its a piece of crap....Wrigley blows and should be burned to the ground.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
I was thinking about this the other day. Think if Chicago wins the 2016 olympics. Daley would have to build an 80K+ stadium, and after the games it would have to be used for something. Maybe when the redline series happens every year we could play there on neutral ground. That would be sweet.

and LV.....there is no other park like Yankee Stadium as well, and it has more historical events that have happened there, but they still decided to tear it down b/c its a piece of crap....Wrigley blows and should be burned to the ground.

Nah ... let them keep that rat hole. Yankee fans are smart enough to know that will have a nice, new world class stadium. Cub fans can stay being content with the aroma of urine and vomit as they are eating their hot dogs. They deserve nothing more.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I sometimes forget why I can't stand the Cubs and decide to be more mature and open minded. I think that baseball is baseball and, Zambrano's antics aside, I really should not cheer against a specific team just because of their uniform. Then I turn the game on and listen to Len Kaspar stroke these people about what awesome "fans" they are, see the 7th inning stretch with some celebrity "singer" and hear "go Cubs Go" after a win. My hate returns to normal levels and I go back to hoping for them to lose every day, not because I want the players to do poorly but just to shut up these baseball ignorant drunkards. They are not fans of the game and really do not respect their park for anything other than what it is to them, a giant beer garden/singles bar.

And if I see one more pandering post about how much fun Wrigley is from a specific member of this site, I think am going to vomit. Stop auditioning for ESPN. No, I am not talking about you, Steve.

I don't think someone writing about Wrigley Field on SoxTalk.com/Forums counts as "pandering." Praise for Wrigley Field gives almost no one satisfaction on this site, so I would respond that I am not a panderer. :P ;)

That said, I think I'm with RockRaines on this one: things like those described in this thread happen everywhere, including the Cell this week I'm sure, but I will say this in addition: I saw a Cub fan on TV after a homerun -- I think it was Aramis' walkoff -- and he was shirtless and thin as can be and looked really, really drunk and he put his arms up and out like he were being crucified and he just stood there in the bleachers like that, surrounded by humanity, and it was... creepy.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
I don't think someone writing about Wrigley Field on SoxTalk.com/Forums counts as "pandering." Praise for Wrigley Field gives almost no one satisfaction on this site, so I would respond that I am not a panderer. :P ;)

That said, I think I'm with RockRaines on this one: things like those described in this thread happen everywhere, including the Cell this week I'm sure, but I will say this in addition: I saw a Cub fan on TV after a homerun -- I think it was Aramis' walkoff -- and he was shirtless and thin as can be and looked really, really drunk and he put his arms up and out like he were being crucified and he just stood there in the bleachers like that, surrounded by humanity, and it was... creepy.

There are many die hard cubs fans that really dont hate on the Sox fan base as much as many of their bandwagon imbecile fans do. These idiots are what gives them a bad name, and frankly im surprised that real fans like the ones on NSBB.com don't despise those people more than they despise our borderline fans. They give cubs fans a horrible name, make it impossible for them to get tickets to see their own team, and have basically made it impossible for many die hard cub fans to really feel supportive of their own fan base.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
There are many die hard cubs fans that really dont hate on the Sox fan base as much as many of their bandwagon imbecile fans do. These idiots are what gives them a bad name, and frankly im surprised that real fans like the ones on NSBB.com don't despise those people more than they despise our borderline fans. They give cubs fans a horrible name, make it impossible for them to get tickets to see their own team, and have basically made it impossible for many die hard cub fans to really feel supportive of their own fan base.

I did not realize we had borderline fans. Now, fans with borderline personality disorder, maybe. :D

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)

Why Gregory, whatever do you mean? Why would you think I was talking about you? :P