Question

Grebeck Fan Club

Enron changed names too -

but who cares because no one was attached to that field and no one lies Enron.

Some of you may not be aware the Veeck changed the name of the field. It has not ALWAYS been "Comiskey." Veeck changed to "Sox Park" or maybe "White Sox Park" or some such thing. You may on occasion notice that some fans of a certain age refer to it as "Sox Park." But the usage of "Comiskey" was so common and long established that the name change failed to pass the test of time and the name was officially changed back to Comiskey.

Now it has changed again. It has nothing to do with the corporate thing. Wrigley is a corporate name after all.

I have a friend who has "Mary Smith" in her private and professional life for many years and after she married my friend John Doe she stayed Mary Smith professionally. After all this time, I cannot ever think of her as Mary Doe - it is always Mr and Mrs John Doe and Mary Smith in everyone's mind. In fact, if anyone calls their house and asks for Mary Doe, they hang up because they know it is not someone who knows them and must be a telephone soliciter. Some names just stick.

Some names stick. Because the US Cellular Field name is so long, "Comiskey" is still what trips off the tongue. Does anyone call it "U S Cellular Field"? I hear people call it USCF or the Cell or whatever... it will take time before the name becomes established in common usage. The best thing about the name change now from that vantage point is the All Star Game will get the name U S Cellular out there - which was undoubtedly the point.

And 20 years from now they will be a bunch of hot new posters on this board who will be saying, "did you know that they used to call it Comiskey Park? Imagine that... how bizarre..." :lol:

Enron changed names too -

but who cares because no one was attached to that field and no one lies Enron.

Some of you may not be aware the Veeck changed the name of the field.  It has not ALWAYS been "Comiskey."  Veeck changed to "Sox Park" or maybe "White Sox Park" or some such thing.  You may on occasion notice that some fans of a certain age refer to it as "Sox Park."  But the usage of "Comiskey" was so common and long established that the name change failed to pass the test of time and the name was officially changed back to Comiskey.

Now it has changed again.  It has nothing to do with the corporate thing.  Wrigley is a corporate name after all. 

I have a friend who has "Mary Smith" in her private and professional life for many years and after she married my friend John Doe she stayed Mary Smith professionally. After all this time, I cannot ever think of her as Mary Doe - it is always Mr and Mrs John Doe and Mary Smith in everyone's mind.  In fact, if anyone calls their house and asks for Mary Doe, they hang up because they know it is not someone who knows them and must be a telephone soliciter.  Some names just stick.

Some names stick.  Because the US Cellular Field name is so long, "Comiskey" is still what trips off the tongue.  Does anyone call it "U S Cellular Field"?  I hear people call it USCF or the Cell or whatever...  it will take time before the name becomes established in common usage.  The best thing about the name change now from that vantage point is the All Star Game will get the name U S Cellular out there - which was undoubtedly the point.

And 20 years from now they will be a bunch of hot new posters on this board who will be saying, "did you know that they used to call it Comiskey Park?  Imagine that... how bizarre..." :lol:

My dad is an old school sox fan, he calls the stadium Sox Park, like you said, I on the other hand will forever call it Comiskey.

It was the Allyns not Veeck who changed the name to Sox Park, Veeck changed it back to Comiskey when he bought the team back in the '70's. Yes it would've been better if they had never named the new place Comiskey.

my memory could be wrong on that - in my mind Veeck and the Allyns are both there on that one - so thanks -

It was the Allyns not Veeck who changed the name to Sox Park, Veeck changed it back to Comiskey when he bought the team back in the '70's. Yes it would've been better if they had never named the new place Comiskey.

That's how I remember the names. I wonder if/where there's a Veeck Field. You know somewhere a bunch of kids are running around on one . . .

I'm getting used to calling it the Cell too. No way I'll be calling it U.S. Cellular Field too often, but I like the name the Cell. I like Minute Maid Field nickname too, the Juice Box. Many of my friends and I refer to it as that.

Guest wsc425
My dad always refers to the park as "sox park" and i couldn't understand why he's always say that

Yeah my elder relatives call it "Sox Park" and for the other team "Cubs Park" :huh:

I used to call OLD Comiskey "Sox Park" .... and always called the new one "New Comiskey". Now, I can live with "the Cell" because that does not remind me of the old park in any way. I dearly loved that old ballpark, and this one just doesn't have the same feeling to me.