Sox Bullpen Best Ever?!

elrockinMT

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
Generally, if Joe Morgan says something, I literally believe the exact opposite of what he is saying to be true. He doesn't feel that walks at the top of the order are a good thing and he's rather have someone up there because he's fast. He said Carlos Guillen was going to be a gold glove 1Bman (and I'm pretty sure he made an error that night) and the next week he'd been moved over to 3B.

+1

What's ironic is that Joe Morgan was an ideal top of the order hitter and if he was playing for the Sox right now he would be leading off... because he drew tons of walks. When he retired they didn't really look at things like a career OBP of .392, they just would look at his career average of .271 and shrug, even though that probably sets him over some other second basemen.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
Joe Morgan said it to Jon Miller on ESPN Sunday Baseball. He made the statement that the Chisox bullpen was the best he had ever seen in his baseball career. Now you can take that for what it's worth, or argue about it, or whatever, but I have a lot of respect for Joe Morgan and when a player and now broadcaster with his experience says that- well, I think it means something special. :gosox3: :headbang :gosoxretro:

Oh god...

Last year, in April, some guy on WSI started a thread saying last year's bullpen was one of the best he's ever seen.

Oh...look what happened?

Let's not jinx our bullpen this season. I understand last year's bullpen had David Aardsma and Ryan Bukvich and they're no Scott Linebrink or Octavio Dotel. But, sometimes, things come back to bite you in the ass.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
Considering the fact that the bullpen was better in 2005.. I have trouble believing that this is the best ever.

2005 BP ERA:3.23 WHIP: 1.30 Opponent OPS: .697 K:BB 2:1

2008 BP ERA: 2.61 WHIP: 1.17 Opponent OPS: .627 K:BB 3:1

Now, it's early yet, but I'm not sure how you have already reached the conclusion that the 2005 edition was better. The 2008 gang has been so successful. They're probably due for a bit of a dip, but let's keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
We don't have any black guys in our bullpen so I am surprised he said that. It makes a lot of sense, and isn't very hard to deduce.

Morgan doesnt make race the qualifier on everything. Its quite a reach to say that someone has to be black in the bullpen for Morgan to give it any credit

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
I disagree completely. I think he is obsessed with race, judging from hearing him speak.

He is definitely slanted racially when he expresses his opinion, quite often. However, I think you are blowing it a bit out of proportion.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
Maybe my perspective is wrong, but I'm not intentionally blowing it out of proportion. Every time I've heard him speak outside of the booth he has said something racially motivated. Most recently he agreed with willie randolph.

I'm not saying you are intentionally doing anything. In fact, I'm not criticizing you. I was just expressing a somewhat different opinion.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
Maybe my perspective is wrong, but I'm not intentionally blowing it out of proportion. Every time I've heard him speak outside of the booth he has said something racially motivated. Most recently he agreed with willie randolph.

... so did i...

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
I disagree completely. I think he is obsessed with race, judging from hearing him speak.

Then he must love that Rays outfield. I mean come on...Crawford, Upton, and Floyd? He must hate those days when Eric Hinske plays right field.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 30, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
and ps. how could it be that he was fired cuz he was black when a black man was put in to replace him?

This reminds me of when Ray Lewis started popping off about Steve McNair and how he got treated "different" or whatever by the Titans b/c he was black, but I guess he forgot that before McNair got there they had a Hall of Fame black QB, and then when McNair left they used a top 5 pick to draft... another black QB.