Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
Without looking at a thing, this is what I would do for this year

Kane-Towes-Ladd

Buff-Lang-Havlat

Sharp-Bolland-Skille?

Beach-Burish-Eager

Keith-Seabs

Soup-Wiz

Sopel-Barker

Huet

Crawford

The Craig Adams trade looks like a huge mistake.

You honestly didn't just call him "Soup Campbell", did you?

I'm calling him Glen.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Without looking at a thing, this is what I would do for this year

Kane-Towes-Ladd

Buff-Lang-Havlat

Sharp-Bolland-Skille?

Beach-Burish-Eager

Keith-Seabs

Soup-Wiz

Sopel-Barker

Huet

Crawford

The Craig Adams trade looks like a huge mistake.

I know it's nitpicking, but I hate when people misspell his name.

I'd assume that the hawks will be able to move Khabby. We need another winger on this team badly.

Edited by Steve9347

If Havlat is in good shape and willing to play, you could consider that as good as any of the other offensive signings out there (realistically). He just hasn't proven that he can stay healthy in some time so its hard to actually expect that. But maybe with more talent on board and an entire off-season we'll see him finally put things together.

Alright, thoughts so far, I'll start in order I guess

-Bourque gone. Not really sure how we got a 2nd round pick for him, but OK then. He really doesn't have a place on this team anymore, and one of our 4,000 prospects will do the exact same job he did. One of our whipping boys is gone.

-Huet. Like it right now. Really came out of nowhere. This will be interesting over the long haul. He has showed flashes to be a true #1, and there have been times where you kind of wonder if he has what it takes to back a team to a Cup. More on that later...

-What this also tells me is that they don't believe Crawford has what it takes to be a #1. I agree with this notion, so I'm fine with it, but I really felt like they saw it in him. They would have wanted him to be the #1 possibly in 09-10, and if not then, then for sure 10-11. Well Huet is here for 4 years barring a trade, so Crawford is either the guaranteed backup, or he'll be moved to someone who thinks more highly of him sometime in the near future. Again, I agree with this, as I don't see Crawford being a #1. And I know it's really early in his career, but I saw more of him than probably anyone on this board last year, and I don't particularly see it in him.

-Habby/Huet both in goal. Habby will undoubtedly be moved. I don't believe what Tallon is saying for a second; I think it's just posturing. I'm really not worried...yet. And don't expect anything for Habby. Again, you can't eat salary. LA is a destination because they haven't hit the salary floor yet, and it'd only hit them for this year. So you shuffle off Habby at some point for whatever, and now you have accomplished 3 things in goal:

1) Better goalie

2) Younger goalie

3) Cheaper goalie

-Campbell. At no point did I actually believe we'd get Campbell or Hossa. It's just awesome to sit back and know that Chicago is a destination now and not just a bargaining chip. Really speaks volumes. Campbell will improve the PP a ton, no more Williams manning the blue line and also being a defensive liability when we lose the puck, which was pretty ridiculous to watch. His play in his own end is hopefully more consistent than what it has been. After all he's, well, a defenseman. It's good that he's a puck mover, but this defense isn't as tough as I'd like it to be, but it's better. You've gotta hope Barker has a good year (I think he'll continue upward, personally) and that Sopel stays healthy. A little on the small size, so hopefully that doesn't put us in the box more often when we have to play it down in the corners and behind the goal. Tallon got his #1 guy. Crazy.

Also, the Redden money makes Campbell look a ton better already...

-Contract isn't as bad money wise as I though it'd be. Years are indeed long, you gotta hope that doesn't hurt somewhere down the line. 36 isn't THAT old on the last year of his contract, but he won't be the same player. I can live with this. Next year will help when we get Havlat and Lang off the books to open up some more room.

-We still need a forward. Huselius anyone? Trade is also high on my list of options, as we still have plenty of warm bodies to move around. I really don't even care who it is at this point - even a guy like Skille can go. Brouwer's value will never, ever be higher than it is right now. Maybe someone will want some of these guys and we can find something for the 2nd line. But while all this is good...we really need another forward...

-Now, can Huet be a Cup goalie, or does he even need to be? It's an interesting question, and one none of us know the answer to. But this team is set up to win the Cup in maybe...I don't know...3 years? 4 years? And then the window begins. Again this is just my opinion. However I don't expect, nor think, we can win it in the next 2-3 years. Yes, you make the playoffs and anything can happen. And we need to make the playoffs this year to continue the upward trend. But that's not the goal. The goal is a championship. So when you are really evaluating these moves, you gotta think of only one thing - does this bring the Blackhawks closer to a championship? They do. But it's interesting that Huet might be gone right when this team is about to really make some noise, at which point we really have no idea what will be there in goal. Or perhaps he's here at the tail end, and we see what he has left. Or maybe he's moved by then and we have someone else. It'll be interesting to watch. But in the interim, we accomplished something good in goal, and he won't detract us from getting or moving on in the playoffs in some fashion. Not a ton of negatives here.

Maybe I'm wrong and we hit the window earlier, in which case great, but I don't see it falling that way.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 07:20 PM)
If Havlat is in good shape and willing to play, you could consider that as good as any of the other offensive signings out there (realistically). He just hasn't proven that he can stay healthy in some time so its hard to actually expect that. But maybe with more talent on board and an entire off-season we'll see him finally put things together.

All I think of when I think about Havlat this year is...

contract year.

And then hope for the best.

Flames are in need of a 2nd Line RW .... Havlet .. I wish that could be the case if we many wingers and needed to trade one, but oh well lets hope Havlet has a great season.

I like many others need to see Habby gone until i enjoy the Huet Signing and of course getting Campbell is huge and a very nice signing to see.

Krush, you've pretty much echoed my sentiments (especially regarding Huselius)... as it stands now we obviously can't nab him, but if can somehow move Bulin we might be in shape. As it stands this team is already tenfold better with the additions of Campbell (very good, he'll get his 60 points from the blueline AND he has red hair), and Huet (just great, he's a legit Vezina candidate.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
Krush, you've pretty much echoed my sentiments (especially regarding Huselius)... as it stands now we obviously can't nab him, but if can somehow move Bulin we might be in shape. As it stands this team is already tenfold better with the additions of Campbell (very good, he'll get his 60 points from the blueline AND he has red hair), and Huet (just great, he's a legit Vezina candidate.

Wow. I don't buy that. He's better then average, but not elite.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 08:39 PM)
He can be elite with a good defense in front of him, which he'll have.

Well, time will tell, but I don't think that he's THAT good. Agree to disagree, for now, my friend. :)

BUT I do think the 'Hawks are a playoff team no doubt now. And that's a beautiful thing.

CampbellHawksHead.jpg

Per Blackhawks.com

Q&A with Campbell

Brian, what ultimately swung your decision to Chicago?

They’re doing things that are making it known in Chicago and around the league that they want to win. That was a huge factor. The organization started to make the city take note and provide a lot of entertainment and something the fans could hold onto. I think that’s pretty exciting. I’ve been involved with that, especially in Buffalo the last couple of years. When you get a city behind you, things just go up and up.

Did Dale Tallon have to sell you or your agent much on the team’s direction?

I think I was pretty aware of a lot of things. You hear about stuff and talk to people and learn more about the organization. For me it was reading about where the team is going. And I have a pretty good friend in the organization there I’ve known for a long time who I talked to today to learn more about it.

How crazy was this day for you? Was it stressful, or more exciting to finally know where you were going?

The last month and a half was really stressful, then today was kind of just seeing what comes in and what teams are interested and making 100 percent sure that they’re interested. There were a lot of tough choices, and talks with a lot of good people that I’ve dealt with and who I hate to upset because I feel that I’m a pretty honest person that way. The people in San Jose especially have done really good things for me and have been first class in everything they do, so that was very tough to not go through with that. But I’m happy where I‘m at right now. I’m very excited. Should be a lot of fun.

Dale has obviously discussed what you will add to the team with your skating and ability on the power play. How do you see your role with the club?

For me it’s going to be some leadership and it’s going to be an all-around thing. I don’t look at myself as an offensive defenseman anymore. I see myself as a complete player, so the work ethic is going to be there for me. I’ve been in too many situations and tough times where I’ve had to work hard to get my way out of it, and you learn from those things and those hard times stick with you through the good times. I’m really excited. I know there are a lot of great players in Chicago right now and I have somebody I’ll have to keep up with now in Duncan Keith, which is not going to be an easy chore for myself.

You touched on this, but how important was it to come to a team that you thought could win right away?

Very important. San Jose has that aspect going for themselves right now as well. But I fully expect big things next year in Chicago. There’s no reason why it can’t happen. We’ve got young players. The organization will have to stay on top of them and keep them working hard. I think it‘s the job of veteran players to help along the way. But there’s no reason we can't win right now. We don’t need to wait a year or two, we can go right now. We can do good things this season.

Also -- Tallon on our new Duo -- http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Once again, I know Tallon can't come out and say "Now with Huet in the fold, we are looking to ship Nik out of town and soon as possible", but he also has seemed to go out of his way to talk about this duo in net. If I had to bet, I would say Nik won't be around with the Hawks on opening night, but I'm starting to buy what Tallon is selling. Lang could be the odd man out here.

I hope when I wake up Bulin is on a flight to Atlanta or LA.

TFP says while DT seems situated with Huet and Bulin, a trade is still likely for Khabby.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story...&id=3470156

FA Day 1 Break down

• Blackhawks sign defenseman Brian Campbell to eight-year deal ($7.125 million annual average), goalie Cristobal Huet to four years at $5.6 million per season

It wasn't so long ago when Chicago GM Dale Tallon had to practically beg free agents to put on a Blackhawks jersey. When begging didn't work, he paid them way more than anyone else would. Now, Tallon has built a team that has become a destination for free agents, as witnessed by his acquisition Tuesday of the top free-agent defenseman on the market, Brian Campbell, and the top free-agent goaltender, Cristobal Huet. Now, you can quibble with whether Tallon overpaid for either player, but there is no disputing that a team that missed the playoffs by just three points last season has dramatically improved. The Blackhawks ranked 24th on the power play and 20th in goals against per game. Both those areas should be better with Huet and Campbell. Would Tallon like to move incumbent goalie Nikolai Khabibulin and his $6.75 million salary? Sure. But Tallon told ESPN.com he's comfortable moving forward with Huet and Khabibulin as a tandem, even if it means he's got more than $12 million tied up in goaltending next season. "The perceptions are all changed [about Chicago as a hockey town]," Tallon said.

Free-agency grade: Campbell, A+; Huet, A-

The who Pagnotta Blog is a good summary of things.

1:20am ET - And back to being relatively quiet... that might be it for tonight, but I'll still be working for the next little while.

12:56am ET - Defenseman Jason Smith could sign later today (Wednesday). I'm hearing Atlanta, Tampa, Buffalo and Pittsburgh have inquired about him.

12:51am ET - Kristian Huselius should make a decision tomorrow morning/early afternoon on where he'll play next season. The Wild are very, very, interested in him... Oilers met with Hossa's agent late Tuesday, a source said.

12:45am ET - To recap the Hossa situation: Pens, Habs and Oilers are atop the list and believed to be the front-runners. Pens have 5-year offer worth just over $7 million on the table; Oilers believed to be offering up to $9M a year; and Habs are around the $8M range.

12:44am ET - To recap some of the events from yesterday (thanks again, server): Bruins are out of Hossa sweepstakes... Hawks, Kings talked trade for Khabibulin... Oilers trying to deal Dwayne Roloson, and have mega-offer for Hossa... Habs still in thick of things for Sundin and Hossa... Hainsey getting a lot of attention now... Leafs trying to trade Kubina, with Columbus, Atlanta, San Jose believed to be very interested.

So I guess he confirms that there were Khabby talks, hopefully they got somewhere though.

I do my best work when everyone goes to sleep. Haha, but seriously ill stop but came across this one.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=242203

---------------

Just to break it up a bit, I just want to poll around the people that actually take in this NHL thread what are your bets on Beach's Role on the team this season(whether its minors(though thats not gonna happen), or what lines you expect him to be on, or the season he will have)

Edited by JFields27

I'm not a hockey expert, so I'll keep this short and sweet. They obviously overpaid for Campbell, but Campbell is really crossing the Rubicon by signing with us as a big time FA, even with the improvement we've shown the last several months, so you had to overpay to get somebody like that. LOVE the Huet deal, assuming Bulin is gone. I think Huet and Crawford is a nice 1-2 punch. We are one forward short, hopefully one of the young kids can step up next year though or there is another deal out there of which I have no idea. Getting a #2 for Bourque is an incredible steal IMO. With Havlat, all you can hope is he's in a contract year which means he'll be good. I like our team next year, not sure if it'll be winning a Stanley Cup, but we'll be in the postseason and Rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully we can be a #4 or #5 seed in the West next year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101