Official 2008-2009 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)
According to http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CHI

it looks as if the Hawks are only 1.9 over the cap, which if i believe is true is much better then being 3 mil over.

Also Steve I want your sig, I likey. Just maybe a new subtitle where you can wear the sig for the next 4 months

What subtitle do you want. Let's promote this sig all over the board and maybe people will realize the Hawks exist!

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 1, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
And I have a pretty good friend in the organization there I’ve known for a long time who I talked to today to learn more about it.

I presume this friend to be Pete Hassen. When I interned there he had just come over from Buffalo. Nicest guy you'll ever meet and just a couple years older than Brian. At the time he was out of place there because how bad the front office was, but now I'm sure they freaking love him.

I'm loving what's happening to the Hawks.

Prior to this past season, I wasn't really a big hockey fan. I'd maybe attend one game a year, and sure, i knew of Crosby and Ovechkin, old Hawks like Roenik and Chelios, and a few others thanks to semi-paying attention to SportsCenter highlights, but that's about it. I went to one of the early Hawks games, and i could only name about 4 Hawks(Kane, Havlett, Bulin, and "Toes", ha). But I started following the season more, and thanks to NHL 08, I began to know many more players. Towards the end of the season, I became very familiar with the league, it's players, and LOVED the playoffs.

It's great to see the Hawks with two big name free agent signings added to a great young nucleus, plus being able to watch nearly all the games on TV next year. I'm sure that there will be many more people like me who recognize what the Hawks have done and begin to follow the team again. I plan on attending many more games this season, plus the outdoor game. I can't wait for the season to start.

Well my thoughts on everything;

I think DT has done very well so far, deserves a B+ at least, will move to an A if he can trade Khabibulin for salary relief.

They got the guy I wanted in Campbell. I know a lot of people would have rathered Hossa, but he's going to get $9M a season it looks like at least, and we're paying $2M less for Campbell.

This team has been craving for a puck moving defenseman for a long time. We're been anemic on the PP for so, so long now. Getting Campbell on the point should help us bolt into the top 15. And that's something around an extra 15-20 goals at least hopefully, and that could be worth another 8-10 points in the standings. I'd play him on the top line on the defense, but wouldn't give him major PK time on the top line unless he showed his play was up to it. Still, he should easily log 25-30 mins a game, and having that kind of passer and guy to set-up play from the back is only going to help the likes of Kane and Toews score more points.

Huet is another signing I liked. There have been some flaws of his game pointed out, but if he can continue to give something around a .920% SVG, he'll be a very, very solid goaltender for us, and an upgrade on what Khabibulin provided. For $5.6M a season, there's no way he'll be splitting time, that's just a stupid waste of resources.

We could be missing a top 6 forward if Williams leaves (which it appears will be the case). But we've got Kane, Toews, Sharp, Ladd, Lang and Havlat which is a decent top 6. Bolland could play on the 2nd line also, but he'll probably start on the 3rd.

Right now, I see the team in around 7th - 8th in the West. I see Phoenix making in the playoffs behind a full season from Ilya and the acquisition of Jokinen. Colorado may slide without Sakic, Forsberg and Theodore. Nashville is another team I think we'll leapfrog. The rest, I'm not so sure yet.

What... the.. f***...

Hossa signs a ONE YEAR deal with THE f***ING REDWINGS at 7.1 million.

His agent needs to be shot.

from TSN

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell TSN that free agent Marian Hossa has signed a one-year, $7.4 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings.
Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
After checking out the current roster I would go with lines something like this....

Sharp Toews Kane

Buf Lang Havlat

Ladd Bolland Skille

Versteeg/ Kontiola Burish

Blunden

Keith Seabrook

Campbell Wiz

Sopel Barker/ Hendry

I'm hoping for a nice showing from Akim Aliuin the preseason. You never know...

2007-08 stats

Aliu (London Knights)

60 GP, 28 G, 33 A, 61 P, 133 PIM

Beach might also be able to make it as a 3rd liner right away.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
Avery to the Stars for 4 years 16 mil.

Are you f***ing kidding me? I now hate the Dallas Stars. I'm not joking, either. I will never go to a game here again as long as that ass clown is on this team with my own money.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Are you f***ing kidding me? I now hate the Dallas Stars. I'm not joking, either. I will never go to a game here again as long as that ass clown is on this team with my own money.

Puhhhlease.

Rangers fans said the same thing when we heard we acquired him 2 seasons ago.

Within the first few weeks of the season, he will be your favorite player. All the bulls*** about him being a detriment in the locker room is bulls***. Everyone on the team loved Avery.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 2, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
I am just glad Tallon wasn't dumb enough to sign Avery.....

Dumb?

Tallon would've been smart to sign him. You don't understand how valuable he is.

Rangers were 55-20 with him in the lineup. 9-13 with him not in the lineup.

Edited by Gage Loves Me