HDTV gurus

DrunkBomber

Me and my roommate are getting a TV and were torn between these two. The price difference isnt really an issue. Or if anyone knows of something better for around the same price.

Sony

Samsung

We arent 100% committed to Circuit City but we were going to finance some of it and they have a deal on that now so we prefer to shop there. If a good deal arose we could charge the difference though. Thanks for any help.

Edited by DrunkBomber

From all the online reviews I read and from what my tech head friends say ,the Samsung is the way to go.And that is out of all the brands out there Samsung rated best.I have an off brand (Insignia) and love it.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Me and my roommate are getting a TV and were torn between these two. The price difference isnt really an issue. Or if anyone knows of something better for around the same price.

Sony

Samsung

We arent 100% committed to Circuit City but we were going to finance some of it and they have a deal on that now so we prefer to shop there. If a good deal arose we could charge the difference though. Thanks for any help.

My suggestion to you is to go and see the 2 TVs. See if best buy would hook up a blue ray player with the blue ray demonstration disc and let you see both TVs at max resolution. They allowed my company to do this when we were looking for a conference room LCD. Samsung is a solid LCD brand. Another one to look at possibly is the Sharp Aquos as well. Try and see if the demo DVD they use to show these off can show you some dark images as well. The high end images and the blacks will give you a clearer picture of which one works for you. I would also recommend using cnet and other sources to see what people who have purchased both TVs say about it as well. Good luck and congrats on your new LCD.

Be careful when you go to check them out. Sometimes the store will alter the brightness/color settings on TVs based on which ones they want/need to sell. And you can almost always get a better price online. For instance that Samsung model is $2059 at CC, but $1799 on both Frys.com and Amazon.com with free shipping.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)
Amazon's at $1800 on the Samsung, plus no tax. Something to weigh against the financing offer.

Ya, I checked that out. It would be pretty dumb not to get it online. Ill probably go check them out in person and then order it.

I bought my Samsung online and it was the best way to go. Not only was it cheaper than any brick and mortar location by a few hundred bucks, I also had no shipping or sales tax. Also, you do want to be careful when you watch the two of them side by side at a store because they'll be programmed in various ways which make it hard to really compare (Cnet is the best way, but you obviously want to look at the TV as well and make sure you like it).

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Be careful when you go to check them out. Sometimes the store will alter the brightness/color settings on TVs based on which ones they want/need to sell. And you can almost always get a better price online. For instance that Samsung model is $2059 at CC, but $1799 on both Frys.com and Amazon.com with free shipping.

Thats why you ask them to break out the Blue Ray or another player. If you can bring your own DVD maybe like Batman Begins or something with good dark colors to see what it looks like. They always have the same demo DVD that has lots of bright colors with slow transitions. You want to see the entire spectrum if you can.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Thats why you ask them to break out the Blue Ray or another player. If you can bring your own DVD maybe like Batman Begins or something with good dark colors to see what it looks like. They always have the same demo DVD that has lots of bright colors with slow transitions. You want to see the entire spectrum if you can.

ya, the Blu ray was what sealed it for us. They had the HD spliced throughout the main wall of TVs and most of them looked like s*** so I asked him to hook up a blu ray and he put it on the two tvs with that Mother Earth DVD and we both liked the picture of the Samsung much more. So we just ordered it on Amazon for $2100 we got 52" Samsung 550, 3 year warranty, wall mount and a cable. They also gave us 36 months 0 interest which was better than what Circuit City offered.

I know people make threads asking about this stuff a lot but you guys literally just saved us a good amount of money so thanks. My friend was ready to go and buy from Circuit City today and the TV alone would have been close to 2200. I owe all you guys a beer.

Iam gald it worked out for you DB.You have to be careful with that no interest for 36 months though,sometimes they wont charge you that interest for the 36 months but if you dont have it nearly payed off by the end of that they will charge you all that interest at once.I know bestbuy does that s***.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Iam gald it worked out for you DB.You have to be careful with that no interest for 36 months though,sometimes they wont charge you that interest for the 36 months but if you dont have it nearly payed off by the end of that they will charge you all that interest at once.I know bestbuy does that s***.

Ya, well have it paid off in about 2 months so were not worried about that. Were only financing 900. Im closing on a condo in a little over a month so were trying to get all the stuff like this out of the way because Im gonna be broke after that.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Ya, I checked that out. It would be pretty dumb not to get it online. Ill probably go check them out in person and then order it.

Most stores do price matching now. Does this not apply to internet vs. store prices? I have no idea. Anyone ever tried this?

Most stores do price matching now. Does this not apply to internet vs. store prices? I have no idea. Anyone ever tried this?

Most online stores like BestBuy will only match offers from other online stores that also have storefronts in person, such as Circuit City, Sears, etc.

I ended up buying my Panasonic Plasma from BuyDig.com because of it's price and it arrived in perfect shape and I'm loving it.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Most online stores like BestBuy will only match offers from other online stores that also have storefronts in person, such as Circuit City, Sears, etc.

I ended up buying my Panasonic Plasma from BuyDig.com because of it's price and it arrived in perfect shape and I'm loving it.

Yeah, I price matched something at CC a little while ago, and they required that it be a B&M store, and that it has to be in stock. I'm pretty sure no B&M will price match Amazon. (Even if they would, tax on something like this runs, I dunno, about $150, I guess. I dunno if CC has a delivery charge. You save money every which way.)

In all honesty the Sony and Samsung are just about identical... samsung even makes some of the sony lcd panels, the difference is samsung is cheaper. Although Sharp is starting to get up there in quality I think maybe even surpassing samsung if not now in near future.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 5, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
ya, the Blu ray was what sealed it for us. They had the HD spliced throughout the main wall of TVs and most of them looked like s*** so I asked him to hook up a blu ray and he put it on the two tvs with that Mother Earth DVD and we both liked the picture of the Samsung much more. So we just ordered it on Amazon for $2100 we got 52" Samsung 550, 3 year warranty, wall mount and a cable. They also gave us 36 months 0 interest which was better than what Circuit City offered.

I know people make threads asking about this stuff a lot but you guys literally just saved us a good amount of money so thanks. My friend was ready to go and buy from Circuit City today and the TV alone would have been close to 2200. I owe all you guys a beer.

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your TV.