The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
With regards to the mosque story, was wondering if anyone mentioned the Dubai port thing that Dems were up in arms about a few years back.

What's funny about that is that as a result of that freakout, DPW had to sell off its American entity and you know who bought it? AIG.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
I've heard the argument that the Burlington Coat Factory mosque would be like putting a Japanese monument right next to Pearl Harbor.

I still think that's a shallow argument. Al Qaida attacked us, not Muslims. It's more like getting upset over a Chinese monument because Asians attacked Pearl Harbor.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
not racist but bigoted against muslims. This is clearly the case because opponents are equating the extremists with all muslims.

I'll ask again: how far away does "common sense" dictate it should be?

How many muslims live within 5 miles of proposed site? 10 miles? 15 miles?

So all this controversy is probably going to end up killing the project after all. The project is still in the beginning stages of development and with the Cordoba House foundation having mere thousands of dollars in the bank instead of tens of millions..... my guess is that the Burlington Coat Factory mosque will likely stay just an empty Burlington Coat Factory.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)

A lot.

I'll answer like you and crimson: .... Far enough.

That's not an answer, but an admission that you can't actually defend your position.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)

A lot.

I'll answer like you and crimson: .... Far enough.

I believed the implication of your question was that there aren't many Muslims living in the area. I responded by showing that there are enough that additional worship space is needed in that community.

Perhaps I am wrong about why you asked, but I did give an answer. Your above response is meaningless.

Pew Survey

http://people-press.org/report/645/

A substantial and growing number of Americans say that Barack Obama is a Muslim, while the proportion saying he is a Christian has declined. More than a year and a half into his presidency, a plurality of the public says they do not know what religion Obama follows.

A new national survey by the Pew Research Center finds that nearly one-in-five Americans (18%) now say Obama is a Muslim, up from 11% in March 2009. Only about one-third of adults (34%) say Obama is a Christian, down sharply from 48% in 2009. Fully 43% say they do not know what Obama’s religion is. The survey was completed in early August, before Obama’s recent comments about the proposed construction of a mosque near the site of the former World Trade Center.

The view that Obama is a Muslim is more widespread among his political opponents than among his backers. Roughly a third of conservative Republicans (34%) say Obama is a Muslim, as do 30% of those who disapprove of Obama’s job performance. But even among many of his supporters and allies, less than half now say Obama is a Christian. Among Democrats, for instance, 46% say Obama is a Christian, down from 55% in March 2009.

The belief that Obama is a Muslim has increased most sharply among Republicans

(up 14 points since 2009), especially conservative Republicans (up 16 points). But the number of independents who say Obama is a Muslim has also increased significantly

(up eight points). There has been little change in the number of Democrats who say Obama is a Muslim, but fewer Democrats today say he is a Christian (down nine points since 2009).

When asked how they learned about Obama’s religion in an open-ended question, 60% of those who say Obama is a Muslim cite the media. Among specific media sources, television (at 16%) is mentioned most frequently. About one-in-ten (11%) of those who say Obama is a Muslim say they learned of this through Obama’s own words and behavior.

Sarah Palin bloviating about Dr. Laura's free speech rights being "erased" or some s*** and Dr. Laura is whining that she is a victim of free speech suppression (despite admitting she was wrong when she did it). Ok this isn't really that complicated and shouldn't need to be explained: it's not cool for white people to say "n*****" a bunch of times in public, in almost any context, and when they do, people get pissed off. The First Amendment works both ways, not just in favor of assholes.

I said this on Slate so I'll just copy and paste it.

"Free speech my ass. That is not how someone's 1A rights work. In the real world, adults are held accountable when they say unacceptable things in public (and yes, people do decide what's unacceptable based on how they feel about it). Call it "political correctness" if you want but it comes off as whining about the fact that people won't let you get away with acting like an asshole whenever the f*** you want."

Edited by lostfan