The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

I don't know where else to post this. It's not pro-lib/dem or anti-rep/cons, not even political really. It's just something that is helping to crush my faith in humanity a little more, and I'd thought I'd share.

Parents picket girl with peanut allergy, ask her to withdraw from school

A student at Edgewater Elementary School in Volusia County, Florida is being asked to withdraw from the school by her classmates' parents.

The student has a life-threatening peanut allergy and, as a result, her classmates are asked to make accommodations to ensure her safety. Some parents of children at the school say the extra steps their children are taking to ensure the girl's health, such as washing their hands or rinsing out their mouths, are taking away from their own children's learning. Meanwhile, the school is standing by its decision to make accommodations for the student

(more detailed article specifying 504 plan accommodations)

Now, maybe the child's parents should consider homeschooling their child for safety concerns unrelated to 'inconveniencing' these other parents or their children by having them do such horrible things as washing their hands or brushing their teeth. And the dog seems a little over-the-top but still, is is really that bad? Does that warrant other parents issuing what amount to death threats against a six year old child?

“We have been informed that the district feels our daughter can return to school on Monday safely. There is nothing being done about the threats & then the principal will sit down with the parents and tell them to stop.” When pressed by another group member to describe the threats made, Bailey wrote, “To send their kids to school with their backpacks covered in peanut oil.”
Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I dunno, I would have struggled to make a caricature that said something that asinine.

A secular-atheist country dominated by radical Islamists

Don't you know that any religion that's not Christianity might as well be atheism?

House Republicans voted to kill HAMP

"To many struggling Americans seeking permanent mortgage relief, HAMP offered little more than false hope. More homeowners have been kicked out of the program than have received permanent relief," Rep. Darrell Issa, the California Republican who chairs the House Oversight Committee, said in a statement.

Of course, they haven't really proposed anything to replace it.

Treasury has pointed out, on several occasions, that while the HAMP program could be better, it's the only federal program spurring mortgage servicers to help homeowners.

"This is a very difficult housing market to fix, and this program, is at least helping fix it," Timothy Massad, the Treasury acting assistant secretary who is overseeing HAMP, said recently to a Senate Banking panel. "It's not enough. But it needs to be continued so we can try to ease the pain for millions of American families."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
HAMP hasn't been working as well as hoped, but it's not like they're proposing a better replacement.

Considering that HAMP has done absolutely nothing to help the foreclosure mess and has almost certainly shunted hundreds of thousands of people into foreclosure that would not have been there otherwise...I'm not at all convinced that replacing it with "Nothing" is a bad idea.

It literally can't make things worse.

WTF?

Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said Wednesday Republicans would pass legislation decreeing that, absent Senate passage of a budget bill by the April 8 deadline, the measure approved by the House in February would become “the law of the land.”

Seriously?

I could have swore someone forced us to waste a couple days in Congress reading the Constitution earlier this year.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
In case you hadn't heard, Drunk Driving Laws are killing Small Businesses.

http://coloradoindependent.com/81829/video...illers%E2%80%99

go Tea Party!

edit:

LOL apparently Hale owns a bar in Montana.

The text, for anyone who doesn't want to watch the video.

I have to rise in opposition to this along with all of the other DUI laws. These DUI laws are not doing the small businesses in our state any good--at all. They're destroying them. They're destroying a way of life that has been in Montana for years and years. These taverns and bars in small communities connect people together. They're the center of the communities. And I guarantee you there's only two ways to get there; either you hitch-hike, or you drive. And I promise you, they're not going to hitch-hike.
Edited by StrangeSox

Mike Huckabee wants all Americans forced to watch televised Christian preaching at gunpoint

Huckabee has just been caught on video, at a Christian supremacist conference, stating that Americans should be forcibly indoctrinated at gunpoint. The organization which hosted the “Rediscover God In America” conference, United in Purpose, has edited Huckabee’s comment from footage of his speech, but not before People For The American Way’s Kyle Mantyla captured the unedited footage, in which Mike Huckabee states, “I almost wish that there would be, like, a simultaneous telecast, and all Americans would be forced–forced at gunpoint no less–to listen to every David Barton message, and I think our country would be better for it. I wish it’d happen.”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)

Channeling a bit of

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

Scientific American gives up

There's no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter writers told us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and politics don't mix. They said we should be more balanced in our presentation of such issues as creationism, missile defense and global warming. We resisted their advice and pretended not to be stung by the accusations that the magazine should be renamed Unscientific American, or Scientific Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But spring is in the air, and all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so there's no better time to say: you were right, and we were wrong.

Get ready for a new Scientific American. No more discussions of how science should inform policy. If the government commits blindly to building an anti-ICBM defense system that can't work as promised, that will waste tens of billions of taxpayers' dollars and imperil national security, you won't hear about it from us. If studies suggest that the administration's antipollution measures would actually increase the dangerous particulates that people breathe during the next two decades, that's not our concern. No more discussions of how policies affect science either-so what if the budget for the National Science Foundation is slashed? This magazine will be dedicated purely to science, fair and balanced science, and not just the science that scientists say is science

GOP budget proposal

The plan, to be released Tuesday, calls for a controversial overhaul of Medicare, the health care program for seniors, and imposes deep cuts in Medicaid, which provides health benefits to low-income Americans, according to House Republican sources with knowledge of the proposal.

Starting 10 years from now, in 2021, Americans would no longer enroll in the Medicare program, but instead receive vouchers for private insurance

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Ironically, he's essentially proposing eliminating Medicare for people over 65 and replacing it with what Obamacare sets up for people under 65.

Except they want to eliminate the health care reform. So really, they are proposing we eliminate Medicare and replace it with the expensive health system of 3 years ago.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Except they want to eliminate the health care reform. So really, they are proposing we eliminate Medicare and replace it with the expensive health system of 3 years ago.

You're missing the point.

Forcing people to buy insurance from a private company is unconstitutional, even if you give people tax credits or funding to pay for that insurance. What we should do instead is eliminate Medicare, and use the money to give people credits or funding to buy insurance from a private company. Of course, you'd have to require people to purchase insurance to receive those credits.

See?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
You're missing the point.

Forcing people to buy insurance from a private company is unconstitutional, even if you give people tax credits or funding to pay for that insurance. What we should do instead is eliminate Medicare, and use the money to give people credits or funding to buy insurance from a private company. Of course, you'd have to require people to purchase insurance to receive those credits.

See?

ah sorry. i missed the sarcasm. my bad.