The Democrat Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
We had that discussion a while back about how that crowd in D.C. couldn't possibly only be 75,000 people. The estimate for this one is somewhere in the range of 150,000 people. It looks like an awful lot. Which I think suggests pretty well how hard it is to judge the size of a crowd from a limited image.

Well, if we use the teabager conversion chart.. or is that the Glenn Beck converstion chart... there were about half a million there.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 GOP Senators Vote to Defend Gang Rape

It is stunning that 30 Republican members of the United States Senate would vote to protect a corporation, in this case Halliburton/KBR, over a woman who was gang raped. The details from

Thin
k
Progre
s
s
:In 2005, Jamie Leigh Jone
s
wa
s
gang-raped by her co-wor
k
er
s
while
s
he wa
s
wor
k
ing for Halliburton/
K
BR in Baghdad.
S
he wa
s
detained in a
s
hipping container for at lea
s
t 24 hour
s
without food, water, or a bed, and "warned her that if
s
he left Iraq for medical treatment,
s
he'd be out of a job." (Jone
s
wa
s
not an i
s
olated ca
s
e.) Jone
s
wa
s
prevented from bringing charge
s
in court again
s
t
K
BR becau
s
e her employment contract
s
tipulated that
s
exual a
s
s
ault allegation
s
would only be heard in private arbitration.

Offering Ms. Jones legal relief was Senator Al Franken of Minnesota who offered an amendment to the 2010 Defense Appropriations bill that would withhold defense contracts from companies like KBR "if they restrict their employees from taking workplace sexual assault, battery and discrimination cases to court."

Seems simple enough. And yet, to GOP Senator Jefferson Beauregard Sessions of Alabama allowing victims of sexual assault a day in court is tantamount to a "political attack" at Halliburton. That 29 others, all men, chose to join him in opposing the Franken amendment is simply mind-boggling.

In the debate, Senator Sessions maintained that Franken's amendment overreached into the private sector and suggested that it violated the due process clause of the Constitution.

To which, Senator Franken fired back quoting the Constitution. "Article 1 Section 8 of our Constitution gives Congress the right to spend money for the welfare of our citizens. Because of this, Chief Justice Rehnquist wrote, 'Congress may attach conditions on the receipt of federal funds and has repeatedly employed that power to further broad policy objectives,'" Franken said. "That is why Congress could pass laws cutting off highway funds to states that didn't raise their drinking age to 21. That's why this whole bill [the Defense Appropriations bill] is full of limitations on contractors -- what bonuses they can give and what kind of health care they can offer. The spending power is a broad power and my amendment is well within it."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Its more than enough information to identify the people in smaller, rural towns.

It's already being challenged on technical grounds.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/featur.../okla_abortion/

Digby's take:

Oklahoma's Department of Health argues that there is "no cause for concern or protest in regards to privacy issues" because the whore woman isn't required to give her name, but quite obviously it wouldn't be too hard to crack the code for those living in small communities

Daily Show' Destroys CNN For Fact-Checking 'SNL' Instead Of Their Guests

Jon Stewart began his show last night by skewering CNN for fact checking a "Saturday Night Live" skit in which Fred Armisen (playing Barack Obama) claimed to have done "nothing" since taking office. In this hard hitting report, CNN found that while many of the president's initiatives have not moved forward, he has in fact done "something" since taking office. Take that, comedy show.

"While you were doing your research did you also find that sharks live in water and don't deliver candy grams...and that the majority of boxes do not have d*cks in them?" Stewart asked. He went on to show several instances of CNN guests saying spurious things and introducing made-up statistics without being asked where their numbers came from or countered with facts.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
CNN Leaves It There
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Ron Paul Interview

A Noun, A Verb, and "9/11"

David Kurtz | October 13, 2009, 9:24AM

Texas Gov. Rick Perry might be the most secretive governor in modern Texas political history, the Dallas Morning News reports today. He won't even release his schedule publicly. Why? According to Perry's press secretary, "Security is different in a post-9/11 world. Security is paramount."

(The reason Perry's lack of transparency has come up again now is he's refusing to release the documents that he reviewed immediately prior to the execution of Cameron Todd Willingham, the convicted arson murderer whose conviction is coming under increasing scrutiny, as Josh noted yesterday.)

Edited by BigSqwert

The little ankle biting dog Orly Taitz Slapped With $20,000 Sanction

The "Birther queen" has been slapped with a five-figure fine for "wasting the judicial resources" of the Middle District of Georgia, where she'd filed one of her numerous lawsuits demanding that President Obama prove his citizenship before deploying soldiers to Iraq and Afghanistan. The judgment, which calls Taitz's case and tactics "delusional

Ha, the legal brief that StrangeSox posted from a judge a while back said basically that if she tried that s*** again that he'd sanction her. I like it. The funny thing is that she goes out of her way to find conservative judges she thinks will listen to her.

For some reason the reply/quote isn't working on this post, BigSqwert. I'm not exactly a Rick Perry fan. I know that you've spent a little time down here... Perry's a legend in his own mind and it drives me crazy. If he gets re-elected, he will be governor for 16+ years. That's too long. Although I think a lot of people are trying to push him into running for president in 2012. Please don't and say you did, Mr. Perry.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
Can't say I was inclined to like him beforehand, but his handling of the investigation of this death penalty case is about as despicable of behavior as I can imagine from a politician.

Edit: Perry just replaces a 4th member of that investigative commission.

He should just secede the state and declare himself dictator ;)