The Republican Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I think the focus on preventing terrorism is a joke compared to health care. How many tens of thousands of people have died from cancer and other diseases in the past 10 years? How many Americans died from terrorist acts in the last 10 years?

Universal health care... bad.

Torture... good!

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• southsider2k5

• mr_genius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
This is the "war on terror", right? So, it's a war, we just never officially declared it.

Ok, so for the purposes of this argument it's going to be a war then? Just checking because it often isnt.

Warrantless wiretapping?

Fair enough. Didnt realize you were going off to other topics with it.

Timothy McVeigh i guess should have been held at Gitmo and subjected to torture as well.

He was a US citizen. He was held in federal custody and was not part of an organized terrorist group whose main goal in life was to wipe out the United States. Not the same thing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
How many American lives would you be willing to trade for the right to say "we do not waterboard in the United States"? 1? 50? 5,000? How would you feel if you lost someone you loved as a result of a terrorist attack on this country that could have been avoided if we were able to gain enough information to stop it ahead of time?

I refuse to sell my soul. If we are willing to do ANYTHING to get what we want, that makes us no better than those we wish to torture.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
I refuse to sell my soul. If we are willing to do ANYTHING to get what we want, that makes us no better than those we wish to torture.

It's not "ANYTHING". Again, strawman.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
He was a US citizen. He was held in federal custody and was not part of an organized terrorist group whose main goal in life was to wipe out the United States. Not the same thing.

We'll never know. Maybe he was. Should have tortured him. He might have known more.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
You never answered my earlier question. What does your religion say about torture?

So you are trying to judge me on something you don't even believe in? Wow. Next question.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
I think the focus on preventing terrorism is a joke compared to health care. How many tens of thousands of people have died from cancer and other diseases in the past 10 years? How many Americans died from terrorist acts in the last 10 years?

That's why millions (billions?) of dollars a year are poured into cancer research.

Trying to compare the two, however, is comedic, yet not unexpected.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Ok, so for the purposes of this argument it's going to be a war then? Just checking because it often isnt.

I think it's a war. We invaded other countries to stop it. Over threw the Afgan government. It's a war.

If invading, occupying, and overthrowing governments isnt war, I'm not sure what is.

That would make anyone captured on Iraq, Afghanistan, or Pakistan POWs. People captured abroad.. like the guy from Canada, is up for further discussion.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)

I refuse to sell my soul as well.

But I also refuse to bend over while there are people out there who are willing to actually do ANYTHING to get what they want, which is at our expense.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
I think it's a war. We invaded other countries to stop it. Over threw the Afgan government. It's a war.

If invading, occupying, and overthrowing governments isnt war, I'm not sure what is.

Then why is our current government running away from it as fast as they can? (I know the answer, but I want to see yours. You do realize you're arguing against your whole premise here, right?)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Just pointing out the hypocrisy in your belief system.

You don't know my belief system, except that I'm saying you do what you have to do in a time of war to protect thousands of lives. Don't you dare question the other side of my belief system because you don't have a clue. You can't have a clue or you wouldn't believe what you do.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
I refuse to sell my soul as well.

But I also refuse to bend over while there are people out there who are willing to actually do ANYTHING to get what they want, which is at our expense.

How many people in U.S. history have died from terrorism on our soil? Torturing will only recruit more extremists to want to do more harm to us.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)
Then why is our current government running away from it as fast as they can? (I know the answer, but I want to see yours. You do realize you're arguing against your whole premise here, right?)

Running away from what? Iraq and Afghanistan?

We arent running away from Afghanistan, and Iraq has run it course. We can stay there another 20 years and it wont get much better. There will ALWAYS be war there. Ironically, the only way to get fighting to stop is to have a dictator, which we overthrew.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Torturing will only recruit more extremists to want to do more harm to us.

"But... but... we did nothing wrong. Terrorists hate us because we are free." WRONG!

At the root of extremest hatred for America is our CONSTANT meddling in middle eastern affairs. This dates back to the 70s. Osama's hatred for America is rooted in our presence in Saudi Arabia.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
You don't know my belief system, except that I'm saying you do what you have to do in a time of war to protect thousands of lives.

Why not just drop some nukes in pakistan and the rest of the middle east? It would prevent american deaths if all middle extremists were killed. Whatever it takes!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
How many people in U.S. history have died from terrorism on our soil?

Too many.

How many lives are you willing to sacrifice? Since the current number isn't really that big of a deal apparently.

Torturing will only recruit more extremists to want to do more harm to us.

Yes, because otherwise we could just sit down with them over a nice cup of tea, talk about our differences and they would just stop.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
How many people in U.S. history have died from terrorism on our soil? Torturing will only recruit more extremists to want to do more harm to us.

And that changes anything? Most of the 9/11 recruits were from the mid 1990's. It's different now? I don't think so. The only message that these people get is to get missles crammed up their assholes. Other then that, it doesn't matter. Words don't mean s*** to these people. And it's still laughable that all this is "TORTUREEEEEEEEEEE". The only one that's even questionable in my mind is the waterboarding. And even that isn't nearly as bad as what they do to us.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
Too many.

How many lives are you willing to sacrifice? Since the current number isn't really that big of a deal apparently.

Yes, because otherwise we could just sit down with them over a nice cup of tea, talk about our differences and they would just stop.

Torturing will not solve any problems just create more. Why not address the root causes of extremists hatred towards America? that would seem more beneficial and humane.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Torturing will not solve any problems just create more. Why not address the root causes of extremists hatred towards America? that would seem more beneficial and humane.

What are the root causes and how would you address them? Right, sit and talk with them. :) :) :) :)

We need to blame America for all the extremeism around the world... if only they would like us!!!!!!!

Or, bow to a king of a foreign country to let them know that we need to bow down and kiss their ass.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
What are the root causes and how would you address them? Right, sit and talk with them. :) :) :) :)

Or, bow to a king of a foreign country to let them know that we need to bow down and kiss their ass.

Or give a dictator a Cadillac as a gift even though he has thousands of nuclear missiles pointed at your country.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Why not just drop some nukes in pakistan and the rest of the middle east? It would prevent american deaths if all middle extremists were killed. Whatever it takes!

Why don't we just hijack a few planes and kill thousands of innocent people, just because? I'm glad you take their side and mentality.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Torturing will not solve any problems just create more.

That's debatable.

Exposing what happens in CIA interrogations in the media for the world to see certainly doesn't help though.

But since we've "tortured" three people, that surely must mean the terrorists won't stop their beheading of innocent civilians now!

Why not address the root causes of extremists hatred towards America? that would seem more beneficial and humane.

You can't really be that naive that you actually think that would work? Because in the past 1400 years it's been just fine? There is no reasoning with those people, none. They will not compromise. If it is ingrained in you that if you walk into a street full of innocent people and blow yourself and all of them up, that you will be rewarded in Heaven with some number of virgins, you can't combat that. The root causes of this extremism has many heads and there is no way to ever truly stop that. You can work on future generations, but for those currently alive who believe this, you will not change their mindset.

Let's not forget, one of the reasons Bush gave for going to war was that Saddam tortured people.

So we had to torture people to justify a war where we tortured people so we could get somebody else to stop torturing people.