Most overrated NFL player

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
I'd put Tillman on that list before Harris. Tillman has been living off one game of defending Moss for his entire career.

Tillman and Harris are like apples and oranges. Ones strength is anothers weakness. Peanut is one of the best in the league at shutting down bigger, stronger receivers one on one. If you want to know how Harris does in those situations watch the NFC Championship game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
He ended up in Hollywood after only how much time in the NFL? Remember all the hype when he came otta college?

How about the roid monster the Packers signed? Tony Manadrich was it?

Completely agree. Bos and Mandarich have to be two of the biggest busts in draft history. I remember all the hype including the SI cover with Mandarich. He never really lived up to it at all.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Completely agree. Bos and Mandarich have to be two of the biggest busts in draft history. I remember all the hype including the SI cover with Mandarich. He never really lived up to it at all.

Leaf

I've said Bret Farve for a long time. He is a stud, but his gunslinger act has failed in big moments quite often. Overrated does not mean bad player to me. Farve is a hall of famer, but when I hear best ever thrown around as often as it is with Farve he reaks of being overrated to me. Nolan Ryan is his baseball equivalent to me. OVERRATED!!

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
...this is exactly where I didn't want this to go.

However, since you brought it up, Manning lost his #1 wideout for most of 2007, and still somewhat effortlessly put up another 4000 yard, 30 TD season. It's almost like Harrison didn't even matter.

He also had Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne, and to a lesser extent, Ben Utecht, Anthony Gonzalez, and Joseph Addai...it's not like he lost the only legitimate receiving threat he had on his entire roster. It's not exactly Reche Caldwell, Deion Branch, David Givens, and whoever else the Patriots have had, outside of this previous season.

And, relevant or not, it was the first time since 2003 that his passer rating was under 100, most sacks since 2002, and most interceptions since 2002.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)
He also had Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne, and to a lesser extent, Ben Utecht, Anthony Gonzalez, and Joseph Addai...it's not like he lost the only legitimate receiving threat he had on his entire roster. It's not exactly Reche Caldwell, Deion Branch, David Givens, and whoever else the Patriots have had, outside of this previous season.

And, relevant or not, it was the first time since 2003 that his passer rating was under 100, most sacks since 2002, and most interceptions since 2002.

I'm not really trying to get into stats, that's not my issue with Brady. Brady's whole thing has been the postseason "clutch" thing which is overblown in his favor and credits other factors (Vinateiri, outstanding defense, general insanity of the goodness of the Pats' front office, field goal drives not really being that impressive etc) he had nothing to do with to him. At the same time, when Brady DOES make mistakes, nobody mentions it because it doesn't fit the pre-determined "Brady is God in the playoffs" narrative.

Vick is actually at Leavenworth.

However, I believe that once there is a near-consensus on a person that they aren't "rated" as high as they originally were, they can no longer be called overrated. Vick falls into that category IMO.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
I don't see how Michael Vick is overrated...whenever he was hurt, the Falcons sucked, and whenever he played, the Falcons were a pretty damn good team. He was a terrible passer and pure QB, but he was a damn good player.

He had one good season early on and that was before defenses knew how to scheme him. They werent terrible his last few years there. They managed to stay around 500 most years but that was also when Tampa and New Orleans were going through some rough times. His accuracy is worse than any QB in NFL history. He makes poor decisions, he gets flustered and he exhausts his whole offense with his style of play.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
He had one good season early on and that was before defenses knew how to scheme him. They werent terrible his last few years there. They managed to stay around 500 most years but that was also when Tampa and New Orleans were going through some rough times. His accuracy is worse than any QB in NFL history. He makes poor decisions, he gets flustered and he exhausts his whole offense with his style of play.

He had 4 years as a full-time starter; in his first two, they won 20 games and made it to the NFC conference championship. In 2006, his receiving core consisted of Crumpler (who was his only good receiver), White, Lelie, and Jenkins; Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood were his main backs; the defense was mediocre. Yet through it all, they won 7 games. Is there a QB (and probably coaching staff too) not named Manning or Brady that wins 7 games with that team? Without Michael Vick this past season and with Roddy White stepping up and becoming a big time receiving threat and with Chris Redman being a pretty damn good QB, they still lost 12 games. To me, that looks like Michael Vick is worth atleast 4 wins alone and arguably more.

Oh, and FWIW, his passing accuracy was 53%...that's better than Namath, though Namath wasn't anything to write home about other than Superbowl III.

I can't argue with some of it, but it's hard to dispute the facts. When Vick played, the Falcons were a good team. When he didn't/hasn't played, they've been terrible. It's not a coincidence.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 12:58 AM)
He had 4 years as a full-time starter; in his first two, they won 20 games and made it to the NFC conference championship. In 2006, his receiving core consisted of Crumpler (who was his only good receiver), White, Lelie, and Jenkins; Warrick Dunn and Jerious Norwood were his main backs; the defense was mediocre. Yet through it all, they won 7 games. Is there a QB (and probably coaching staff too) not named Manning or Brady that wins 7 games with that team? Without Michael Vick this past season and with Roddy White stepping up and becoming a big time receiving threat and with Chris Redman being a pretty damn good QB, they still lost 12 games. To me, that looks like Michael Vick is worth atleast 4 wins alone and arguably more.

Oh, and FWIW, his passing accuracy was 53%...that's better than Namath, though Namath wasn't anything to write home about other than Superbowl III.

I can't argue with some of it, but it's hard to dispute the facts. When Vick played, the Falcons were a good team. When he didn't/hasn't played, they've been terrible. It's not a coincidence.

I'm not saying you won't get arguments about the Redman statement, itself, but Joey Harrington was the primary qb, and I know you're not gonna say that he's "pretty damn good". Dunn is finished and Crumpler was bad. Their coach left midway through the season and I don't think it's a stretch to think that he was half-assing it well before that, and he managed to piss off the veterans pretty early, including Crumpler, who isn't thought of as a hothead. So, no, I wouldn't say that Vick was himself worth 4 wins.

You're saying that Manning and Brady might have won 7+ games with that team, but nobody else except Vick could have. So Vick was the 3rd best qb in all of football? Really?