Most overrated NFL player

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going on a purely stat-based viewpoint, then I'd lean towards agreeing that Namath was overrated, but if we're talking about the total impact he had on the NFL's status, I'm not so sure.

Namath gave the AFL credibility by bragging that the Jets would beat the Colts and then going out and doing it.

This after the Packers had won the first two AFL/NFL games by scores of 35-10 and 33-14, and with the Jets being heavy underdogs to the Colts (15 to 20 point dogs, in fact).

That has to enter into the equation somewhere. Sure, he was not a truly great QB, but I believe his leading the Jets to the Super Bowl win helped make the game bigger and more meaningful, and that went a long way towards his "rating" in many people's eyes. The fact that he played in New York at the time didn't hurt his cause, either.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
Too early to say Tony Romo?

I knew someone was going to say that.

Until he wins a playoff game, then that's what more and more people are going to think.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
I'd put Tillman on that list before Harris. Tillman has been living off one game of defending Moss for his entire career.

i disagree....Al Harris was a poor defensive player for his first handful of years in the NFL, hes been very good in green bay, but he struggled early

Tillman also IMO is underrated as can be, at least on a national level....tillman is not a lockdown man coverage corner, but he also hardly is ever asked to be...he plays the cover 2 corner about as well as anyone in the league IMO...about a year ago KC Joyner used his metric stats and he determined that both vasher and tillman (and Harris for accuracy) were among the top 6 most underrated corner backs in the league....when it comes to being physical at the cornerback position, few guys are as physical as tillman

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
I'd put Tillman on that list before Harris. Tillman has been living off one game of defending Moss for his entire career.

Tillman's thought of right about where he should be. He's not mentioned with the elite corners, but he's as consistent and reliable as most corners in the league. He can't defend the small, quick guys though, but I blame Ron Rivera for leaving him out there to die in the '05 playoffs like that against Steve Smith.

I'm probably gonna get blasted for saying this because I always do and nobody ever actually stops to read what I'm saying, but Tom Brady gets way more credit than he deserves for the Pats' 3 SB wins. Thanks to ESPN's constant verbal fellating of him, people now think he's the greatest QB ever. He may have that 50 TD record now (which some guy named Randy Moss and a ridiculously good offensive line may have had something to do with, by the way), and he's a Hall of Famer, but cmon.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
I'm probably gonna get blasted for saying this because I always do and nobody ever actually stops to read what I'm saying, but Tom Brady gets way more credit than he deserves for the Pats' 3 SB wins. Thanks to ESPN's constant verbal fellating of him, people now think he's the greatest QB ever. He may have that 50 TD record now (which some guy named Randy Moss and a ridiculously good offensive line may have had something to do with, by the way), and he's a Hall of Famer, but cmon.

brady has always had alot around him, youre right, which certainly helped...but most of the greats do too, peyton always had tons around him too....montana and young had rice, elway had great running games etc. ....i dont think hes the best ever, at least not yet, but its hard to argue with what the guy has done....though i do think he had the benefit of knowing the defense before they even lined up frequently

I'm not exactly a Brady supporter, but to be fair his receivers were pretty pedestrian before this past season. Deion Branch, Reche Caldwell and David Patten aren't exactly on the same tier as some of the guys other great quarterbacks have had to work with. Granted the defense was very good and the line has been solid, but you saw what he did this past year with a legit set of pass-catchers. I suppose if he's rated #1 or #2 all-time among quarterbacks then yeah, he's overrated, but his resume is pretty damn impressive.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 14, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
brady has always had alot around him, youre right, which certainly helped...but most of the greats do too, peyton always had tons around him too....montana and young had rice, elway had great running games etc. ....i dont think hes the best ever, at least not yet, but its hard to argue with what the guy has done....though i do think he had the benefit of knowing the defense before they even lined up frequently

I'm referring to the fact that he is talked about like a hero for the SB victory over the Rams, for example, when in that game he basically did nothing except not blow it while the defense and Vinateiri won the game. Oh now I remember, he marched fearlessly down the field for like 30 yards against a soft zone defense. Yay! Moreover, that SB would never have happened if it weren't for the tuck rule basically jump-starting his legacy (the entire free world knew he fumbled that ball).

He had a legit statistically dominant game against the Panthers, but again, lame field goal drive for which the credit is owed to Vinateiri, but Brady gets it anyway I guess because he's handsome and he's a QB. FG drives are just not very impressive to me and should not be mentioned with the memories of Montana and Elway scoring TDs, and having to use the whole field.