Something's brewing...

JPN366

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
Shocking.

We'll see tonight what Floyd is made of. It's a must win for us. He's had some poor outings lately after a great start. I honestly hope the kid has gotten his head on straight. I am just not ready to proclaim him a future all-star on this team for the next 5-10 years like many have. I hope I am wrong but if the right deal, or at this point, string of deals, comes along that gives us a great chance to win it this year, then I would go for it. If Floyd pans out well for us, then I'd gladly eat crow.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah despite Floyd struggling recently, he still had a 3.86 and 4.09 ERA in June and July, so still a solid starting pitcher. And he is only 25 years old. No way in hell I would trade him. Even if he performs at his July and June pace his career, he still is a good middle of the rotation pitcher, but he is a stud and there is no reason to trade him unless you are getting Doc Holliday.

My guess is if the Sox acquire Roberts and don't trade OC, you'd see Ramirez move to CF with Swisher/Paulie splitting time at 1B (Swisher would also rotate into the OF). This would be a serious offensive upgrade. However, if you are giving up Floyd you've now all of a sudden torn up the rotation.

A rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Vaz, Contreras, Richard isn't going to do s*** in the playoffs. In fact, with that s***ty rotation you better be scoring 10 runs a game just to make the playoffs.

The most interesting thing is Cabrera being very available. Considering KW is going for it, it would seem if he was the leader and player we are lead to believe, he would be untouchable even if Ramirez can play SS. I think there's a lot more bad that we haven't heard about him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
My guess is if the Sox acquire Roberts and don't trade OC, you'd see Ramirez move to CF with Swisher/Paulie splitting time at 1B (Swisher would also rotate into the OF). This would be a serious offensive upgrade. However, if you are giving up Floyd you've now all of a sudden torn up the rotation.

A rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Vaz, Contreras, Richard isn't going to do s*** in the playoffs.

I would think at this point you would have to trade OC. There seems to be a disconnect between OC and the team all season, like he isn't one of the guys. I can't put my finger on it. I wouldn't trade Floyd unless someone is brought him to replace him for more then this season.

Of course everything I've read is that Roberts in untouchable.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
I wouldn't trade Floyd for anything less than a star player (or another young player whose already proven himself). That doesn't mean Floyd straight up, but I'm talking about Floyd in a package for an ace starter or premiere baseball player (none of which can be rentals).

You would only had Floyd in a Garza-for-DYoung deal, and I agree with that if thats what i understand from your statement.

All of our problems in trying to upgrade the talent on the ML club at the deadline is from a terrible farm system. Our organization's cheapness for draft signings (minus Borchard which turned out to bomb) and internationally has made our system incredibly weak. Even with the trades we have made recently, you would think that our system would still have player, but really no.

I do not believe that the farm system is that baron that KW can not make a trade I think it has to do with the fact that he is not going to overpay for a Brian Roberts or AJ Burnett.

From the looks of it there appears to be some decent pieces down there. I never heard of Clayton Richard until a month or so ago and from what I have seen of him so far I see no reason why he could not be a servicable rotation guy. Poreda and Fields have MLB value as do a few other utility type guys I just don't think the Sox are going to gut the system for a rental.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
All of our problems in trying to upgrade the talent on the ML club at the deadline is from a terrible farm system. Our organization's cheapness for draft signings (minus Borchard which turned out to bomb) and internationally has made our system incredibly weak. Even with the trades we have made recently, you would think that our system would still have player, but really no.

Instead, he goes out and gets two players that everyone thought would start the season in AA or AAA and instead, they turn out to be soooo good, they make the ballclub. One ACTUALLY makes it to the All-Star Game. I'll gladly take those mistakes!

I don't even want the Sox to give up Fields for Roberts, much less Floyd.

If we need anything right now it is pitching. The team lacks balance and one ultra expensive addition in Roberts isn't going to suddenly turn us into a team capable of manufacturing runs and handling the bats better situationally. If the Sox can get Duchscherer I'd be tempted to give up Fields right now along with whatever else that has to go from within the system because that move would help us a lot. If the best SP out there is Duch, then I wouldn't give up any of our top prospects for anyone else. It's just a waste.

Let's not forget how s***ty this team looked on paper earlier on this year. We've been incredibly fortunate to have Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Ramirez all begin to look like young stars from out of nowhere. The development of those four players alone have easily shaved an entire year, maybe even more, off of what looked to be a long rebuilding process towards a new core. Giving up what little we have left now - after Fields hit 23 bombs in not even a full season just last year - for a marginal upgrade in the bullpen or at 2B in Roberts would only set us back. If Roberts was young and pre-arb, hell yes I'd make that deal, but he's not, so forget it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)

Injuries and struggles affecting Jose Martinez and John Shelby have hurt us. Had those guys been healthy and raking it might be a totally different situation right now, but then would we want to trade one of them?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
A rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Vaz, Contreras, Richard isn't going to do s*** in the playoffs. In fact, with that s***ty rotation you better be scoring 10 runs a game just to make the playoffs.

then again look at the names in the Twins rotation, if they make the playoffs, with that group of nonames and a lineup that is very avg, no one would be figure them to be an automatic first round exit

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
Rumor is no one is really biting on Orlando.

I find that hard to believe. The Dodgers are desperate for a SS. The only way i can see KW moving Cabrera is if he gets Roberts from Baltamore. Three team deal perhaps?

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
then again look at the names in the Twins rotation, if they make the playoffs, with that group of nonames and a lineup that is very avg, no one would be figure them to be an automatic first round exit

The Twins won't win a world series and if your not capable of winning the series than I question giving up anything significant. Bottom line, this Sox team as is is potentially good enough for the playoffs. Thats about it and the only way I'd consider them World Series contenders is if there pitching gets hot (I expect Floyd/Danks to tire out) or if they acquire a Halladay type guy. Anything less puts them short of being a true World Series contender.

I say that in the sense that acquiring Roberts as is, while losing Floyd doesn't make the Sox anymore of a World Series contender as they already are. Same with Duscherer. He isn't the missing piece, even if your not subtracting from the major league team.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
I find that hard to believe. The Dodgers are desperate for a SS. The only way i can see KW moving Cabrera is if he gets Roberts from Baltamore. Three team deal perhaps?

I am just going off the report from Jayson Stark. There obviously is a market for Cabrera but not for what the return the White Sox (Lowe) want.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
We'll see tonight what Floyd is made of. It's a must win for us. He's had some poor outings lately after a great start. I honestly hope the kid has gotten his head on straight. I am just not ready to proclaim him a future all-star on this team for the next 5-10 years like many have. I hope I am wrong but if the right deal, or at this point, string of deals, comes along that gives us a great chance to win it this year, then I would go for it. If Floyd pans out well for us, then I'd gladly eat crow.

Oh there's that 5-10 years again...I don't think anyone used the word all-star though.

He bailed the Sox out in a must-win situation though to keep them in first place...he's thrown over 130 innings in a White Sox uniform this season and still has a great ERA...how much more do you want him to prove himself?

Floyd starts game 2 of the playoffs for me right now...that means you better be getting an ace pitcher in return to even consider dealing him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
Oh there's that 5-10 years again...I don't think anyone used the word all-star though.

He bailed the Sox out in a must-win situation though to keep them in first place...he's thrown over 130 innings in a White Sox uniform this season and still has a great ERA...how much more do you want him to prove himself?

Floyd starts game 2 of the playoffs for me right now...that means you better be getting an ace pitcher in return to even consider dealing him.

:notworthy :headbang