Devin Hester signs contract extension with Bears

Nice. More money than I thought he'd get.

From the article:

It will now be interesting to see how quickly he recovers from the tight hamstring he and Lovie Smith have cited as reasons he's not practicing. The Bears hit the field at 3 p.m. Sunday, and it wouldn't be a shock to see No. 23 in uniform. At last.

Yup. Second thing I thought about (after, Glad that's finished).

http://www.talkchicagosports.com/blog/?p=146

ChicagoBears.com is reporting that Devin Hester has agreed to a 4 year extension through the 2013 season. The extension included a $15 million signing bonus and could earn Hester a maximum of $40 million.

This was the hardest deal Angelo has taken part of in his career as Bears general manager. There has never been a player like Hester and that meant that no market had previously been established. Also give credit to Hester and his camp for being reasonable, despite a one day holdout.

Hester’s new task will be to get onto the football field and put in the necessary work to develop into the #1 wide reciever the Hester and the Bears believe he can be. Afterall, Hester’s contract has an escalator clause which would pay him an additional $10 million if he puts up #1 receiver production.

From the updated article:

3:15 p.m. training camp update: Never underestimate the recuperative powers of a $40 million contract. After having passed his physical Saturday night, Hester shows no signs of the hamstring problem he says kept him out of practice Friday and Saturday. The Bears are in full pads and Hester looks like, well, the highest-paid NFL return man ever.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
It's pretty sweet that his extension is based on escalators and de-escalators depending on how well he does as a WR. He'll get about 4 mil a year otherwise. He could make 10 mil a year, but I doubt that.

The max is less than $10 mil a year, I believe. The total value of the extension is $15 mil guaranteed, $40 mil max. But it's an extension of 4 years (past an existing contract of 2 years where he was making peanuts). So max is $6-7 mil per.

Of course, if he gets to be a #1 receiver, we'll probably see a holdout long before we get to the end of this one.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 27, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
It's pretty sweet that his extension is based on escalators and de-escalators depending on how well he does as a WR. He'll get about 4 mil a year otherwise. He could make 10 mil a year, but I doubt that.

What he said.

Way to go, JA!