All-Time Greatest White Sox?

Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Most hits and RBIs of anyone not in HoF. All the players ahead of him on those lists are in, and many players behind him are in. And hits and RBIs are not obscure stats. So a Sox board is the only place fans could make that argument. He's a long shot, and if he had the same stats in 3 or 4 less years, he'd be a pretty solid pick.

How has Harold done in the voting? I think that would be the thing that tells the story?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Most hits and RBIs of anyone not in HoF. All the players ahead of him on those lists are in, and many players behind him are in. And hits and RBIs are not obscure stats. So a Sox board is the only place fans could make that argument. He's a long shot, and if he had the same stats in 3 or 4 less years, he'd be a pretty solid pick.

I don't think that's going to matter much. Raines has the highest stolen base percentage of all-time and he barely stayed on.

I'd be surprised if Baines got the five percent necessary to stay on the ballot.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
How has Harold done in the voting? I think that would be the thing that tells the story?

He'll be off the ballot in a year or two. Barely pulling in the 5% necessary. I think being a DH hurts more than his career numbers. Again, my only disagreement is the comments that he is not even close. I think he is pretty damn close.

Here's the way I look at Baines issue. Andre Dawson was a better all around player than Harold and he's not in yet. Dawson didn't have the DH position to fall back on. He won an MVP award while playing for a last place team. He also had the turf issue in Montreal as a factor in his knees deteriorating. If Dawson makes it, and I think he should, then I'll take another look at Harold. But Andre was just a better all around ballplayer than Harold, imho.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 7, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Here's the way I look at Baines issue. Andre Dawson was a better all around player than Harold and he's not in yet. Dawson didn't have the DH position to fall back on. He won an MVP award while playing for a last place team. He also had the turf issue in Montreal as a factor in his knees deteriorating. If Dawson makes it, and I think he should, then I'll take another look at Harold. But Andre was just a better all around ballplayer than Harold, imho.

Nothing there but truth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Is this for contributions only as a Sox?

It's Frank if it's only as a Sox; Griffey or Tom Seaver or Fisk if it's combined performances with all teams.

Would Griffey beat out Seaver? Didn't Seaver win 300 games?

Seaver won his 300th as a member of the Sox.

• 2 weeks later...