All-Time Greatest White Sox?

Pants Rowland

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank and personally it isn't gonna be close since defense is underrated. Frank's offense trumps anyone on the list. And for the record, I, too, undervalue defense and voted for the Big Hurt. I would have gone with Appling second, then Fox, then Aparacio.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
Frank and personally it isn't gonna be close since defense is underrated. Frank's offense trumps anyone on the list. And for the record, I, too, undervalue defense and voted for the Big Hurt.

I agree but there were some big names on that list. I know the Sox were an abyssmal franchise from the Black Sox scandal until the 1950s so it was a tough call between Frank and some of those guys that still excelled for the Sox from 1920-1950. Luke Appling (right hander as well with a .310 career BA and .399 OBP) was a tough guy to overlook and spent his entire career on the south side. He was a seven time AS who hit .388 in 1936 but never really hit for power. Supposedly wore pitchers down fouling off pitches, though. Ted Lyons also appeared to excel on some bad teams and is in the HOF with 260 career victories. Appears to have come back for a season (and did well) after serving in WWII.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
This should be a landslide.
I was only 10 when the sox won the pennant.. Nellie fox's numbers don't really do justice to what he could do with a bat.. I swear he coud take any pitch and place it anyplace.. he could hit the ball where they weren't.. Another person not name but great for notoriety was Dick Allen. The ball coming off his bat sounded like a ball coming off of Thome's bat.. Every ball was a line drive hit somewhere to any part of the spacious Comiskey park. His homers were line drives barely clearing the fence. The sound of his bat hitting the ball echoed throughout old Comiskey.. Alas his other sport Horse racing took too much of his time.. I was once told that he might have been the greatest Baseball Talent that ever played the game... i know there was and is greater baseball players but when he came to bat you dropped everything because he could make something happen. He was my favorite. Edited by forrestg