Jordan Danks signs

southsider2k5

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

CHICAGO -- The White Sox and Jordan Danks agreed to terms on a Minor League contract, a source close to the situation confirmed to MLB.com on Thursday, beating Friday's signing deadline by one day.

As a seventh-round pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, the White Sox just might have picked up a true steal in the 6-foot-5, 210-pound outfielder. The 22-year-old hit .321 with a .444 on-base percentage and .564 slugging percentage for the University of Texas during the 2008 campaign, with seven home runs and 46 RBIs. He also picked up 14 stolen bases in 19 attempts, after stealing 26 bases without being caught during his first two years with the Longhorns.

Danks is the younger brother of John Danks, who has arguably been one of the most consistent starting pitchers in the American League this year, let alone among the White Sox rotation. Although the White Sox would not confirm the agreement and have yet to make a formal announcement, it is believed that Jordan Danks received a signing bonus just over $500,000.

Back in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, the White Sox took Jordan Danks in the 19th round. But Danks elected to play college ball for Texas instead. Danks' signing follows an agreement announced on Wednesday between the team and Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick overall in the 2008 Draft. The White Sox will have all of their top 10 picks under contract with the impending announcement of Danks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Danks becomes our everday CF by the start of the 2011 season. He and Beckham are anti-Sox players basically who are fundamentally sound and don't swing for the fences. Both are gamers who work hard and can run. I look foward to them in our lineup soon because along with Quentin, Ramirez, Getz (I think Beckham will move to 3rd), we have some guys that aren't stiffs. Really happy to see this draft turn out because some of the pitchers are already pitching great.

Adding Beckham and Danks to our farm system brings it back to respectability a little more.

Glad to see the Sox did the right thing, went over slot, and got it done.

Now let's hope Danks doesn't turn into a Sweeney or Reed type of hitter who just has no power whatsoever.

He should at least make it as a 4th OF someday though.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Adding Beckham and Danks to our farm system brings it back to respectability a little more.

Glad to see the Sox did the right thing, went over slot, and got it done.

Now let's hope Danks doesn't turn into a Sweeney or Reed type of hitter who just has no power whatsoever.

He should at least make it as a 4th OF someday though.

If he can hit .290 with an OBP of .335 in his first year of a full time starter, I could care less.

2-4 years of starting, if he can hit 10-15 HR, that's fine IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
What kind of schedule does Danks look to be on? Should he move through the system pretty quickly?

If Beckham and Danks can help the Barons in the playoffs, then send 'em here.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
If he can hit .290 with an OBP of .335 in his first year of a full time starter, I could care less.

2-4 years of starting, if he can hit 10-15 HR, that's fine IMO.

Especially if he can pickit in CF.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Overrated. I think he'll turn out like Sweeney who wasn't good enough for the Sox apparently. I mean, I like Danks, but I just don't see him being as good as everyone projects which is better than Ryan.

lol, how can you figure he's overrated when he hasn't had a single professional at-bat?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Overrated. I think he'll turn out like Sweeney who wasn't good enough for the Sox apparently. I mean, I like Danks, but I just don't see him being as good as everyone projects which is better than Ryan.

Based on what? Gut instinct? or have you been watching him all year and your professional scouting ability tells you he's overrated?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)

Danks is also a CF, while long term Sweeney is a corner outfielder.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
Based on what? Gut instinct? or have you been watching him all year and your professional scouting ability tells you he's overrated?

Thinking he will be a success is just as right as predicting he will do nothing, IMO. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I don't know why people are berating him about thinking Danks is overrated. I for think he will be wrong, and I am sure he hopes he is wrong, too in the end, but he can have an opinion.