Roster shuffling

BamaDoc

Sorry, I haven't had enough coffee for the brain to work yet. Broadway sent down so we have a reliever for the next four days. We will need someone Tuesday for fifth starter slot. Is something in the works or do we bring him back on Tuesday. What are the option rules preventing you from doing this everytime he pitches?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 08:03 AM)
Sorry, I haven't had enough coffee for the brain to work yet. Broadway sent down so we have a reliever for the next four days. We will need someone Tuesday for fifth starter slot. Is something in the works or do we bring him back on Tuesday. What are the option rules preventing you from doing this everytime he pitches?

Broadway can't come back up for 10 days. Clayton Richard was recalled, but they want him for the bullpen. I don't know who is gonna start on tuesday. Maybe someone else from AAA. Egbert?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
Broadway can't come back up for 10 days. Clayton Richard was recalled, but they want him for the bullpen. I don't know who is gonna start on tuesday. Maybe someone else from AAA. Egbert?

Egbert is 4-10 with a 4.68 ERA, but he does strike-out alot of guys (105 to just 35 walks). The only other starter, Whistler is 11-8 but has lost his last 3 starts. Maybe Tomo Ohka :P

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 08:18 AM)
Egbert is 4-10 with a 4.68 ERA, but he does strike-out alot of guys (105 to just 35 walks). The only other starter, Whistler is 11-8 but has lost his last 3 starts. Maybe Tomo Ohka :P

The numbers, particularly won/loss record, don't tell the whole story...

- Egbert had a bad May right after he came off the DL.

- He was very good in June/July: 3.18 ERA combined in 10 starts; 63 K's vs. only 13 BB's; 2.32 ERA in July. (He was great in July).

- He's gotten lousy run support.

Bottom line: he's been pitching pretty well most of the summer and would probably be a good choice for a spot start.

I'm not quite sure I get it. Clayton Richard sufficiently proved he is not ready to pitch in the major leagues yet as a starter, and I highly doubt he is in the bullpen either after starting in the minors all year. Broadway might not be very good, but he's now 2 for 2 in having good major league starts, so at least he's shown (unlike Richard) that he can get some major league hitters out.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
I'm not quite sure I get it. Clayton Richard sufficiently proved he is not ready to pitch in the major leagues yet as a starter, and I highly doubt he is in the bullpen either after starting in the minors all year. Broadway might not be very good, but he's now 2 for 2 in having good major league starts, so at least he's shown (unlike Richard) that he can get some major league hitters out.

Can't get people out?

In his major league debut, Richard struck out 7 Texas players in 4 innings... including striking out Josh Hamilton out 3 times. (Meanwhile, the Sox made 3 errors behind him.) And the Rangers have one of the best offenses in baseball this year.

He looked very good the first 4 innings he pitched against the Twins. Faced two players over the minimum, while striking out Joe Mauer, Delmon Young, and Sox-killer Mike Redmond. (Yes he gave up the big inning, but Ozzie leaving him in to face Mauer/Mourneau after he started to struggle was stupid.)

But struggled badly in his last outing. (Yes he sucked against the Royals.) Seems like the final impression he made is sticking with people more than the earlier ones.

Richard was lights out at two levels in the minors this year... good enough to have him picked to start the Futures Game and be on the Olympic team. Suggesting he "can't get anybody out" after watching him pitch a total of 13 innings in MLB (at least half of which were very good) seems to be overly critical to me.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Can't get people out?

In his major league debut, Richard struck out 7 Texas players in 4 innings... including striking out Josh Hamilton out 3 times. (Meanwhile, the Sox made 3 errors behind him.) And the Rangers have one of the best offenses in baseball this year.

He looked very good the first 4 innings he pitched against the Twins. Faced two players over the minimum, while striking out Joe Mauer, Delmon Young, and Sox-killer Mike Redmond. (Yes he gave up the big inning, but Ozzie leaving him in to face Mauer/Mourneau after he started to struggle was stupid.)

But struggled badly in his last outing. (Yes he sucked against the Royals.) Seems like the final impression he made is sticking with people more than the earlier ones.

Richard was lights out at two levels in the minors this year... good enough to have him picked to start the Futures Game and be on the Olympic team. Suggesting he "can't get anybody out" after watching him pitch a total of 13 innings in MLB (at least half of which were very good) seems to be overly critical to me.

Richard gave up 25 hits in 13 innings, as well as 15 earned runs and 4 walks. Following the Texas outing (a bizarre fluke since his lifetime k/9 ratio in the minors is in the 5's), he only had 4 more strikeouts in 9 innings. Almost everything he threw was hit very hard, and his only legit major league pitch was his fastball. Not sure what what saw of Clayton Richard was impresive, except that it took the Twins a few innings to figure out the crap he throws and that he struck out a lot of Rangers hitters while they lit him up.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
Richard gave up 25 hits in 13 innings, as well as 15 earned runs and 4 walks. Following the Texas outing (a bizarre fluke since his lifetime k/9 ratio in the minors is in the 5's), he only had 4 more strikeouts in 9 innings. Almost everything he threw was hit very hard, and his only legit major league pitch was his fastball. Not sure what what saw of Clayton Richard was impresive, except that it took the Twins a few innings to figure out the crap he throws and that he struck out a lot of Rangers hitters while they lit him up.

Hey... Knock yourself out extrapolating his career from cherry picked stats in a small sample size if you want.

It doesn't change the fact that he's had a dominant year outside of the instances you've chosen to pick on...

Or the fact the WhiteSox apparently have enough confidence in the larger body of work to bring him back up.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
I thought i heard that the way the schedule is set up we wont need a 5th starter for awhile??? If i misheard that then id give the ball to Egbert or Poreda.

We have next thursday off, so we will have to use a 5th starter this time through the rotation (unless they are planning on using guys on short rest).

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
We have next thursday off, so we will have to use a 5th starter this time through the rotation (unless they are planning on using guys on short rest).

thanks for that info....the broadway demotion puzzles me then, i thought he pitched fairly well, only gave up one extra base hit and just allowed 2 runs. Only problem (if you wanna call it that) was him throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings. Who is the start against for the 5th starter??? If were gonna throw someone from the majors in there how about Ramirez????