Mike MacDougal

JohnCangelosi

Call me crazy but I have this strange feeling Mike MacDougal is going to be a key member of our bullpen coming down the stretch. I thought he looked great last night just throwing nasty s%&t up there. Obviously the key is him not hanging his breaking ball and finding the strike zone. If we're fortunate enough to make it to the postseason, do we have an option to put Mac on the playoff roster even though he was a September callup?

The question is whether he's eligible or not. I was asking about this in the game thread.

Here's one link I found:

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/...heck_these_out/

So perhaps MacDougal takes Contreras' spot?

There was also a blip how if Joe Borowski signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox (he was released from the Indians) he would still be eligible for the postseason if he wasn't called up until September.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
I think the only way you are not eligible for the playoff roster is if you weren't on the 40 man roster before September, OR, if you were not called up by the team and on the 25 man roster before September.

Either way, MacDougal should be eligible.

Does that make Getz available then?

Honestly I think he would be a better asset than Owens

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Mac looked pretty darn good and maybe next year will be in the bullpen helping us out. Now the question about Owens or Getz. Good one, but with Ozzie I am thinking speed wins out every time

I agree, so still go with Getz. For a guy whose only baseball skill is speed, Owens is not that fast, and as we saw Saturday night, he is not a good base runner.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
I think the only way you are not eligible for the playoff roster is if you weren't on the 40 man roster before September, OR, if you were not called up by the team and on the 25 man roster before September.

Either way, MacDougal should be eligible.

This is the way I understand it: You are eligible for the post-season roster if you were on the 25 man roster (including the DL) on Aug 31. So, for example, Contreras and Crede are eligible. Now, since Crede may be done for the year, the active roster for the playoffs would only have 24 guys plus 1 (Crede) who is on the DL. Since that is the case we have one open spot which can be filled by any person who was on the Sox's 40 man roster on Aug 31. That was how K-Rod was eligible several years ago. Its a loophole to the rule.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
This is the way I understand it: You are eligible for the post-season roster if you were on the 25 man roster (including the DL) on Aug 31. So, for example, Contreras and Crede are eligible. Now, since Crede may be done for the year, the active roster for the playoffs would only have 24 guys plus 1 (Crede) who is on the DL. Since that is the case we have one open spot which can be filled by any person who was on the Sox's 40 man roster on Aug 31. That was how K-Rod was eligible several years ago. Its a loophole to the rule.

I thought you could only replace DL'ed players with players of the same position.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
So, basically, no one really knows for sure if he's eligible for post season? Read all the posts seems like everyone is guessing?

Basically any one on the 40 man roster can be eligible for the postseason if we have an injury, and we have plenty of injuries. So he's eiligible, but no one has a clue if he'll be on it or not.