AAP: Jeff Marquez

Steve9347

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 12, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Who's responsible for acquiring Swisher in the first place?

But I think Ozzie has some blame because he ultimately controls the lineup and did not want Cabrera or Swisher back for the 2009 season.

Yes, acquiring Swisher was a mistake.

But...the guys we gave up so far haven't exactly made us miss them.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 12, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Who said we had to keep them? I wouldn't have minded Sweeney for CF last year and we could use him right now.

.254 batting average, .666 OPS this season for Sweeney.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
.254 batting average, .666 OPS this season for Sweeney.

.289/.313/.408 vs RHP (.307/.369/.429 in '08)...Sweeney would have made a solid compliment with Brian Anderson. Instead we had to suffer through the Wise era and now the Podsednik era. It's pathetic.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 12, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
.289/.313/.408 vs RHP (.307/.369/.429 in '08)...Sweeney would have made a solid compliment with Brian Anderson. Instead we had to suffer through the Wise era and now the Podsednik era. It's pathetic.

Wise put up a higher OPS than Sweeney last year.

And if Sweeney was on the Sox right now, he'd be hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)

And if Sweeney was on the Sox right now, he'd be hurt.

Sweeney, talented...Wise, talentless. You may not like Sweeney, whatever, but he's a hell of a better option that the trash the Sox have trotted out in CF this year. That's not debatable.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Sweeney, talented...Wise, talentless. You may not like Sweeney, whatever, but he's a hell of a better option that the trash the Sox have trotted out in CF this year. That's not debatable.

Anderson?

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
Yes, vs LHP. A Sweeney/Anderson platoon would easily have been the most productive situation in CF.

Anderson is hitting .231 against lefties and .308 versus righties.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Actually, Boers just says things he thinks will increase the number of phone calls and listeners... whether there is any basis in fact is irrelevant. Might sound like I'm being overly critical and/or cynical. But that's not my intent.

I like Boers (and Bernstein). I just don't have alot of respect for their baseball knowledge.

Football? Absolutely! They cover football well. Very knowledgeable.

But IMO, their sports IQ drops about 50 points when they start talking baseball. It's the one part of their show I find myself turning the channel more often than not.

I don't think a discussion of Jeff Marquez would light up the Score's phone lines.

1. I'd like to see Wise repeat that line in as many at-bats that Ryan Received

2. It was a whopping 9 point difference

3. Wise is a career journeyman player. Ryan is young and developing

4. OBP should not be weighted the same as SLG%. That's the 1 big flaw with OPS. Sweeney had a higher OBP by 57 points.

5. Accounting for ballpark differences, Ryan's OPS+ was 101 compared to Wise's 90 in limited at-bats.

You just pulled a Lillibridge.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)

A lot better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Anderson?

Absolutely. You wouldn't find many GM's out there that would trade Sweeney for Anderson. I'm not saying Sweeney has ridiculous value, but Sweeney is a much better player than Brian Anderson. Anderson is better defensively and I know you'll throw out Andersons stats but there is more to the eye than stats but I hope BA proves me wrong cause I love the guy.

I keep hoping Fields proves me wrong too cause he's another guy that looks bad whenever I see him hit.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)
Absolutely. You wouldn't find many GM's out there that would trade Sweeney for Anderson. I'm not saying Sweeney has ridiculous value, but Sweeney is a much better player than Brian Anderson. Anderson is better defensively and I know you'll throw out Andersons stats but there is more to the eye than stats but I hope BA proves me wrong cause I love the guy.

Right now, Sweeney is really giving me the impression he's going to be an average defensive .260-.275 hitter with no power and not great speed. He's been like that for years. If the Sox had a guy like that, we'd be angry that KW kept throwing this 5th OF out there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Right now, Sweeney is really giving me the impression he's going to be an average defensive .260-.275 hitter with no power and not great speed. He's been like that for years. If the Sox had a guy like that, we'd be angry that KW kept throwing this 5th OF out there.

I wouldn't and I have no idea how you project him to hit for that type of average. I think he's much more of a guy that will hit an "empty" .290 (or I think thats how the stat guys would term it). He won't hit for a ton of power but I see him hitting for a lot of doubles. The big question is can he draw enough walks to give him a good OBP. Oh and I don't believe in an empty .290, on a sidenote, I love guys that can hit for average and I think Sweeney is the type of guy that could...key word being could. For pete sake the guy hit well over your projections last season in his first full year at a very very young age.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 13, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
I wouldn't and I have no idea how you project him to hit for that type of average. I think he's much more of a guy that will hit an "empty" .290 (or I think thats how the stat guys would term it). He won't hit for a ton of power but I see him hitting for a lot of doubles. The big question is can he draw enough walks to give him a good OBP. Oh and I don't believe in an empty .290, on a sidenote, I love guys that can hit for average and I think Sweeney is the type of guy that could...key word being could. For pete sake the guy hit well over your projections last season in his first full year at a very very young age.

He also put up a .336 BABIP in the majors last year. In his last year in Charlotte, he put up a more normal .306 BABIP, and he hit .270. .294 BABIP this year so far, hitting .254. Unless he adds some pop, which he has shown no signs of doing, he's going to need what most people call "better luck" to push .280+ with the average.

• 3 weeks later...

I accidently typed in the address into the google workbar instead of the address bar and this was like the second result. :huh: Also, Dick Allen put in a lot of work into those great posts but some people just wouldn't take off the rose colored glasses.

I think Marquez does a much better job of making people look bad than myself.

What's his status anyways?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 30, 2009 -> 05:54 AM)
I accidently typed in the address into the google workbar instead of the address bar and this was like the second result. :huh: Also, Dick Allen put in a lot of work into those great posts but some people just wouldn't take off the rose colored glasses.

I think Marquez does a much better job of making people look bad than myself.

What's his status anyways?

He hasn't pitched since April. According to published reports, he's on the DL with bone spurs in his pitching elbow. Without knowing more it's hard to judge whether that relates to his crappy performance all year (certainly could) or how long he'll be out (that's one of those things that can require surgery in cases).

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Another dud from Marquez tonight.

2 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 1 BB, 2 K's ERA up to 10.35 WHIP is a pathetic 2.10

Jhonny is pitching well after him however.

Don't forget about how much ass Wilson Betemit is kicking.