NCAA Gives Out Penalty for Indiana Recruiting Scandal

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3725832

Meh, I think a little light. I woulda liked to see a loss of a scholarship or two. Glad they gave Sampson a severe penalty though.

FWIW, Indiana's taken scholarships away from itself.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
I think it's pretty dumb that IU blew up their entire Basketball program and put themselves 2-3 years away from contention and the NCAA still didnt think it was enough.

It probably goes without saying, but what was really dumb was this hiring itself. You could have smelled Kelvin's stench in Bloomington all the way from Norman, but IU chose to hold its nose. This was a panicky, desperate hire made as an unneccessarry overaction and hoped for quick fix to Mike Davis' tenure, and was completely out of character for that university.

There are some parallels to ND hiring Charlie Weis as an overreaction to Willingham, except, of course, that Weis didn't come with a lengthy NCAA rap sheet.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 25, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
I think it's pretty dumb that IU blew up their entire Basketball program and put themselves 2-3 years away from contention and the NCAA still didnt think it was enough.

Probation doesn't mean a whole lot, especially to a big time program like Indiana basketball. It's just a tool that sort of keeps Indiana on it toes for a few years (although they are there already with the Sampson debacle I'm sure), and mainly to keep the public and media from calling the NCAA soft, which people are going to do anyways.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
These stories always suck. The school pays for it, even after they get rid of the problem.

My take with regards to Indiana is that you can't hire a known cheater and then cry about the school being punished when he cheats. Schools absolutely should be punished for having a cheater even if he is fired. Otherwise there is no incentive for schools to monitor cheating.