Rod Blagojevich officially facing federal corruption charges

Steve9347

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
That isn't what has been reported previously... Not just talked to, but met with.

http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=219212

Interesting.

Here is the thing. Despite what anyone may think of Obama, I don't think anyone would call him stupid. I'd say there is about a .00001% chance that Obama engaged in any sort of quid pro quo negotiation with Blago about it. But, obviously, the matter was discussed - perhaps even in person.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Interesting.

Here is the thing. Despite what anyone may think of Obama, I don't think anyone would call him stupid. I'd say there is about a .00001% chance that Obama engaged in any sort of quid pro quo negotiation with Blago about it. But, obviously, the matter was discussed - perhaps even in person.

I will be clear here with my feelings on the matter. I don't care that they met, as a matter of a fact, I would hope that they did. Obama should be involved as possible to help select his replacement, outside of the obviously illegal stuff that is being talked about. He should have met with the Gov, and made his feelings known.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I've always given Jesse Jr. the benefit of the doubt, as being different from his father. I guess I was wrong.

edit: I'd be surprised if it did more than stall his political career, actually.

Absolutely, it is Illinois politics, and more specifically Chicago politics at its best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
I will be clear here with my feelings on the matter. I don't care that they met, as a matter of a fact, I would hope that they did. Obama should be involved as possible to help select his replacement, outside of the obviously illegal stuff that is being talked about. He should have met with the Gov, and made his feelings known.

I think the court filing makes it clear that they had some discussions about it, whether directly or through subordinates. How else would he wind up being so repeatedly called a "M-F" by the Governor.

I just got immediately uncomfortable with what I saw as an unnecessary denial and retraction flying out of the Obama camp, combined with the "I don't want to comment on an ongoing investigation" statement we got yesterday. After the last 8 years (Hi Lostfan!) that instantly makes me queasy.

The call on him to resign is a much better move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
I think the court filing makes it clear that they had some discussions about it, whether directly or through subordinates. How else would he wind up being so repeatedly called a "M-F" by the Governor.

I just got immediately uncomfortable with what I saw as an unnecessary denial and retraction flying out of the Obama camp, combined with the "I don't want to comment on an ongoing investigation" statement we got yesterday. After the last 8 years (Hi Lostfan!) that instantly makes me queasy.

The call on him to resign is a much better move.

/highfive

If Jesse is Sen Candidate 5... how will he spin this? That he "didn't know" that his people offered 500,000 for the senate seat?

I bet he wont go to jail because he will be able to claim plausible deniability... but seriously, I sure hope that people in this state remember that this MOFO was trying to buy his way into the senate chambers.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
If Jesse is Sen Candidate 5... how will he spin this? That he "didn't know" that his people offered 500,000 for the senate seat?

I bet he wont go to jail because he will be able to claim plausible deniability... but seriously, I sure hope that people in this state remember that this MOFO was trying to buy his way into the senate chambers.

He'll say "that (I'll contribute $500,000) was in green" :lolhitting

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)

He is Senate Candidate #5 and I think you hit it exactly on the head as to what his excuse will be. He will say he had no idea there was $1,500,000 of bribes offered on his behalf.

I saw his press conference and he still thinks he is getting the Senate seat from what I can tell.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I've always given Jesse Jr. the benefit of the doubt, as being different from his father. I guess I was wrong.

edit: I'd be surprised if it did more than stall his political career, actually.

Me too, on the first part. Not so sure o nthe second one, though.

Any chance that Dad was doing this behind Jr.'s back? From the limited time I've seen Jr. he does seem a lot different than his father. It wouldn't be easy, but I could be open to Dad's lust for power trying to be the puppet master for his son.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Me too, on the first part. Not so sure o nthe second one, though.

The part about being wrong or the part about it only stalling his political career?

He's still pretty popular in IL-2, I'd say.

Apparently, G-Rod threatened to hold back $8M in funding from a not-for-profit children's hospital somewhere in Illinois, if their CEO didn't make a $50k campaign contribution.

acutally it turns out this 8 million was to give doctors more money for working on children because the Medicare (or is it cade?) payments were not enough for the doctors to treat children. So doctors were turning down care to children in need of it, because they could make more money treating people who actually had real insurance. It was to go to an organization set up by Children's Hospital and other child care providers in the state.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
acutally it turns out this 8 million was to give doctors more money for working on children because the Medicare (or is it cade?) payments were not enough for the doctors to treat children. So doctors were turning down care to children in need of it, because they could make more money treating people who actually had real insurance. It was to go to an organization set up by Children's Hospital and other child care providers in the state.

Does that make Blago's threat any less slimy? Doesn't to me.

Interesting background info though, thanks.

no, but it also makes the doctors refusing care slimy too. what i would like to know is whether or not the medicare payments covered the costs of the treatments (as in the doctors would not have lost money) and the docotrs still chose not to dole out care because johnny's parents have insurance that will pay more money for the same work or if the medicare payments were less than the costs of the treatment (as in the doctor loses money).

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
no, but it also makes the doctors refusing care slimy too. what i would like to know is whether or not the medicare payments covered the costs of the treatments (as in the doctors would not have lost money) and the docotrs still chose not to dole out care because johnny's parents have insurance that will pay more money for the same work or if the medicare payments were less than the costs of the treatment (as in the doctor loses money).

I'm assuming its the latter - I doubt many pediatricians, who chose to treat children for a living, would refuse to take insurance if it covered the bills. There may be some, but, seems unlikely to me that most of them would do that.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 06:02 AM)
Any chance that Dad was doing this behind Jr.'s back? From the limited time I've seen Jr. he does seem a lot different than his father. It wouldn't be easy, but I could be open to Dad's lust for power trying to be the puppet master for his son.

Well, to this point, Candidate #5 has supposedly been assured by the Feds that he is not a target of this investigation. So what exactly went on behind closed doors with them is something we currently don't understand. Jr. may have not understood that he was being shaken down, he may not have understood the offer, he may not have directly had all of the information, he may not have responded favorably, etc.

It is at least a decent sign for him that the Feds have so far said he's not a target of the investigation.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
I'm assuming its the latter - I doubt many pediatricians, who chose to treat children for a living, would refuse to take insurance if it covered the bills. There may be some, but, seems unlikely to me that most of them would do that.

That is always the debate. $100,000 might get you Danks to pitch a game for you, $500,000 to have C.C. Both are "covering the bill" so to speak.

So it becomes, if you are the Doctor and already working as many hours as you are comfortable with, a question of caring for that kid for $150 or this other kid for $65 and putting up with closer government scrutiny. Remember, other Doctors abused the system, not we want greater "controls" i.e. more aggravation for honest Doctors.

So, is there going to be a special election to fill the vacant seat? Will Jessie Jackson Jr be the Democrat nominee?

Oh man, all the GOP would have to do is get a decent candidate in the race and they could very well win. But thats asking a lot of the Illinois GOP, remember the Alan Keys fiasco.