Rod Blagojevich officially facing federal corruption charges

Steve9347

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
Brian Ross on ABC News says that speculation is that Senate Candidate #5, the one who supposedly offered money or campaign funds for the seat, is Jesse Jackson Jr.

Here's the source of that speculation.

Also worth noting...for the legal case, having Blagojevich believe you were willing to pay the fee does not necessarily mean that a he was in fact willing to do so.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:05 PM)
emil_brown_80085836.jpg

"Just because I have a career .317/.377/.481/.858 line against the White Sox doesn't mean you can throw out such blatently false accusations."

:ph34r:

:lolhitting I didn't even notice that. Emil Jones, cut me some slack, this is a baseball board after all

Maybe I'm just too used to the current administration, but I really don't like how this smells, where Axelrod was a few weeks back saying the PresE and Blago had spoken regarding the Senate seat and now is saying he "Misspoke".

I'd feel worse about it though if it weren't for that little clip of Blagojevich, um, talking in a less than polite manner about the PresE.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Maybe I'm just too used to the current administration, but I really don't like how this smells, where Axelrod was a few weeks back saying the PresE and Blago had spoken regarding the Senate seat and now is saying he "Misspoke".

I'd feel worse about it though if it weren't for that little clip of Blagojevich, um, talking in a less than polite manner about the PresE.

Conservative blogs/ pundits were all over this earlier today.

I don't see Obama being tied up in this, but that still looks a little suspicious.

For all the things we heard about Obama throughout the campaign that we are supposed to be afraid of, the one that has worried me the most since the start is his deep roots in Illinois politics. Obviously there are A LOT of clean, good hearted people in politics here, but you simply do not know who you can and can't trust and that's a scary proposition. Hopefully Obama is one of the clean, good hearted people as he certainly looks to be one right now.

The cable news is telling me that the President-elect wasn't aggressive enough renouncing Governor Blagojevich. And, of course, they're both from the same state so they must be good buddies and therefore the President-elect is a crook, right?

Let's check some precedent. Naturally, President Bush renounced and rejected fellow Texan and former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay when he was knee-deep in corruption and scandal and was eventually forced to resign after being indicted, right?

Oh. Wait.

President Bush didn't renounce DeLay. In fact...

Bush Expresses a Belief in DeLay's Innocence

New York Times

President Bush Shows Support to Embattled DeLay

The News Hour

President Says DeLay Is Not Guilty of Money Laundering

The Washington Post

Bush Declares DeLay Innocent

The Washington Post

Lott urges Bush to give DeLay 'aggressive support'

The Washington Times

Bush to Give DeLay a Lift to Show Support

The Los Angeles Times

DeLay even got a ride aboard Air Force One! Meanwhile, the Obama team had to frantically backpedal from a brief phone call between Obama and Blagojevich -- a phone call that may or may not have happened weeks ago -- while Fitzgerald said there is zero connection between Obama and the Blagojevich charges.

LINK

I can't find the article now, but there was one particular example given by Fitzgerald of Blago's corruption that made me ill. Apparently, G-Rod threatened to hold back $8M in funding from a not-for-profit children's hospital somewhere in Illinois, if their CEO didn't make a $50k campaign contribution.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
I can't find the article now, but there was one particular example given by Fitzgerald of Blago's corruption that made me ill. Apparently, G-Rod threatened to hold back $8M in funding from a not-for-profit children's hospital somewhere in Illinois, if their CEO didn't make a $50k campaign contribution.

I watched some segments on CNN, MSNBC and FOX and everytime they read the long list of offenses the entire panel would start laughing because it's so out of control and blatant. Then of course they would be like "ok, we shouldn't be laughing this is really bad in reality".

This guy is unbelievably corrupt.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
I watched some segments on CNN, MSNBC and FOX and everytime they read the long list of offenses the entire panel would start laughing because it's so out of control and blatant. Then of course they would be like "ok, we shouldn't be laughing this is really bad in reality".

This guy is unbelievably corrupt.

Super douche.

Madigan: Several Options to Remove Blagojevich

Produced by City Room and the Associated Press on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Many Illinois legislators say if Governor Rod Blagojevich doesn't resign, they want to begin impeachment proceedings. State Attorney General Lisa Madigan says there's another step she could take beyond that.

MADIGAN: Illinois Supreme Court Rule 382 allows an original action to be filed in the Illinois Supreme Court regarding the governor's ability to serve.

Madigan, who is also calling for the governor to resign, says she could file the Supreme Court action on behalf of the people.

http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=30751

I kind of like this because:

1. He won't resign

2. It is quicker than impeachment and trial by the Senate

3. It will remove Rod from office