Mets land Putz...

Jimmywins1

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_nym

"The Mariners receive right-handed pitcher Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez and first baseman Mike Carp from the Mets,

along with outfielder Franklin Gutierrez from the Indians.

Second baseman Luis Valbuena will go the Indians,

who also get right-handed pitcher Joe Smith from the Mets in the deal.

Mariners right-handed reliever Sean Green and center fielder Jeremy Reed also are going to the Mets in the trade."

Edited by Jimmywins1

Valbuena's apparently a solid hitter, but his bat fits in best at 2B. The Indians outfield is pretty full with Sizemore, Choo, Francisco, Dellucci, and Crowe on his way too. I imagine all they are really doing is trading from a strength to try and fill a weakness, and in the process they pick up a solid reliever too. I have no problem with the deal from Cleveland's standpoint, but it's nothing groundbreaking either.

For the Tribe...

Not a bad deal. Moved an extra part for two extra parts.

And they have a glut of 4th outfield types in their organization so Gutz was expendable.

The Roogy could end up playing a useful role in their bullpen. The young 2B could end up in the lineup since it looks like the plan is to move Peralta to 3rd this year.

QUOTE (bkmoney @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
Putz's agent : "He's one of the top five or 10 closers in the game," Landis said. "No, he would not want to be a set-up man."

this should be interesting. This trade is really hard to figure out just because there are so many players in it

he wont be a setup man? well they have krod....so how does it make sense for the mets?

Gutierrez is going to be the new long - term CF for the M's I believe, with Ichiro staying in RF. Maybe they'll go after Griffey for LF, or give that spot to Balentien. If he could put up an .775 OPS in Safeco, it's a decent enough deal for the M's.

But still, they'll probably turn Morrow over as a closer now, and that really does waste some of his value, unless they go after a closer in FA.

The Mets fans' in my office are raving about this deal acquiring Putz. Still, he'll probably walk after 2009 I'd imagine, considering he desperately wants to be a closer.

It's actually a good deal from the White Sox's perspective also. A team that didn't need a closer acquired Putz, taking 1 less off the market, so the opportunity to shop Jenks is still there if KW wants to.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
It's actually a good deal from the White Sox's perspective also. A team that didn't need a closer acquired Putz, taking 1 less off the market, so the opportunity to shop Jenks is still there if KW wants to.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And kept Putz from potentially ending up in Detroit. Thank you Mets!!