Willy Tavaras to be non-tendered

Fantl916

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
they can be depnding on where it is and the health of the bone. They should heal within 4-8 weeks. We are pushing that time frame now. If it is still an issue the bone density and health of the bone needs to be in question.

I was assuming it was a simple injury the Sox doctors would look into. If not, you move on. I know you have more knowledge on the subject than I do. Is this something that could be a long term concern?

I'd sign Willy T to a 1 year deal... with a club option for a 2nd year. Its a minor risk worth taking. If he shows up injured to ST than you still have Wise and BA. I wouldnt even want him as our leadoff hitter but simply our 9 hole hitter. The dude stole 68 bases last year... its worth a look at.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 06:31 AM)
The problem with that is, who's the leadoff hitter then?

Alexei Ramirez? Getz/Lillibridge? It has to be one of those two options/positions on the field...

I really think some of the guys KW got in that Braves deal will be used in another deal. Probably on a guy like Brian Roberts (who is the perfect 1 year stop gap before Beckham is ready) KW has pleanty of weapons to use to aqcuire Roberts now. Im sure MacPhail knows now is the time to maximize Roberts value before its too late.

Can you legitimately trade Fields and/or Poreda without making any other moves, though?

If you acquire Roberts and Fields is part of the deal, then who plays 3B? Betemit's okay as part of a platoon, but not an everyday player. Viciedo might never play 3B in the big leagues. Or do you move Beckham off SS and put him at 3B and hope he can make it up in July/August? That's putting a ton of pressure on him to essentially learn a new position AND contribute in the middle of a pennant race right off the bat....the last college players to really do that were Ventura, Thomas and Alex Fernandez.

If you trade Poreda, then Marquez and half of CR/AP (Richard) is your rotation...I just don't think there's any way to compete, even in our watered-down division, with that rotation, compared to what the other four teams potentially have going into the season.

We're not going to trade Viciedo, of course....so that means Brandon Allen, Shelby, Adam Russell, Jordan Danks (mid-season), Brian Anderson, Jenks/Dotel/Thornton, Konerko and Dye are your most enticing trade pieces/parts. Tricky to pull off. Tyler Flowers or Lillibridge are the only others, Lillibridge doesn't have the value they're looking for, so we'd turn around and trade Flowers, theoretically. YES?

Edited by caulfield12

Taveras playing CF and batting ninth for the Sox works for me. Trouble is, he'd probably be batting leadoff, which is not a good thing.

It would only work out if the Sox traded either Dye or Konerko for a legit leadoff hitter. Say if the proposed (on message boards) Konerko for Figgins and Weaver deal actually happened. Figgins would leadoff with Getz batting second and Taveras would bat ninth. Then they'd have a hole at 1B (Flowers? Viciedo? Dye w/Viciedo in RF?). It's all academic anyway.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)
I was assuming it was a simple injury the Sox doctors would look into. If not, you move on. I know you have more knowledge on the subject than I do. Is this something that could be a long term concern?

Not normally. however, it's definitely worth looking into. A hitter should not get stress fractures unless there is a problem in the training program. Or if the surface they play on is the old cement hard artificial surface.

It shouldn't be a long term problem but it's always good to check on it with these contracts.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
He comes to play at the Cell. When a guy steals 5 bases and doesn't score once, I would put the onus on his teammates. Willy T did all he could do to get himself into scoring position that day.

Our battery couldn't hold a moderate-to-good-to-great runner if its life depended on it.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Our battery couldn't hold a moderate-to-good-to-great runner if its life depended on it.

Agreed. That goes along with the whole Twins are Piranhas thing. Any kind of speed on the opposition plays directly into our greatest weakness. We're tremendous at turning singles into doubles or triples.