Willy Tavaras to be non-tendered

Fantl916

According to Rotoworld (I'm too lazy to link the blurb) the Rockies are probably going to non-tender Tavaras. If so, i absolutley wouldnt mind him on a 2 year deal, and have him split time with BA or Owens in CF. Maybe bat Owens against righties and Tavaras against lefties? would give us the ability to have speed in the lineup at all times, while putting them both in situations where they can succeed. no i havent looked at the splits in case im wrong.

i think however think signing Willy wouldnt be a bad move. He'd be an adequate table setter atop the lineup and ease the pressure on Owens or BA to perform everyday

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
I dont want Taveras at all, we already have the same player in Owens. Taveras cant hit and has a terrible OBP thats why he is being non-tendered. Not really the guys u look to pick up to build a team.

Slight difference though in their pasts:

Willy's best year at the MLB level is better than Owens' best at the AAA level.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
yeah I think the fact of his health means he's a no go. Otherwise, if we were to face this season with Owens actually being our CF...then clearly I'd prefer Taveras.

I think a stress fracture will heal by spring training. This isn't a career ending injury or anything.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I have memories of the guy being a nightmare against us. The guy can run.

Those memories ere from the World Series he was the only Astros to hit well against us, unfortunately, that was also the highlight of his career. Taveras is not a serviceable ballplayer in the American League. That is all.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
I think a stress fracture will heal by spring training. This isn't a career ending injury or anything.

they can be depnding on where it is and the health of the bone. They should heal within 4-8 weeks. We are pushing that time frame now. If it is still an issue the bone density and health of the bone needs to be in question.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
Those memories ere from the World Series he was the only Astros to hit well against us, unfortunately, that was also the highlight of his career. Taveras is not a serviceable ballplayer in the American League. That is all.

1. lance berkman

2. If we had a set OF, i'd take him as a 4th.

Well, Willy was not tendered a contract and is now a free agent along with Chris Capuano, Chuck James, Chris Burke, Kevin Cash, Justin Christian, Chris Britton, Clay Henley, Charlie Haeger, Jonny Gomes, Scott Proctor, Yhency Brazoban, Takashi Saito, Angel Berroa, Mario Alverez and Tim Redding. That's it so far, I'm sure there will be a few more announced in the coming hours.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)

Those memories were also from last season when he stole 5 bases in a single game against us. Willy Taveras = Sox killer.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Those memories were also from last season when he stole 5 bases in a single game against us. Willy Taveras = Sox killer.

Yep, stole 5 bases and failed to score even 1 time. He actually had 1/18 of his total extra base hits for the season against us in 1 AB in that very game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 11:14 PM)
Yep, stole 5 bases and failed to score even 1 time. He actually had 1/18 of his total extra base hits for the season against us in 1 AB in that very game.

He comes to play at the Cell. When a guy steals 5 bases and doesn't score once, I would put the onus on his teammates. Willy T did all he could do to get himself into scoring position that day.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
You'd take an all-speed, oft-injured, no power OF in a homerun hitters park in the American League? As a 4th OF just in case Jerry Owens doesn't come through?

You are talking about Jerry Owens right? All speed, no power, no obp, injured. Big difference here is that Taveras by all accounts plays above average defense in CF and has a plus arm, he's also had success at the major league level. Owens on the other hand is a pretty bad CF with a noodle arm and no history of success