2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
He must dip them in lard, because he hasn't gotten any smaller since he became a vegetarian.

being vegetarian does not necessarily equate to eating healthy. Some vegetarians subsist on oreos, cheese pizza, potato chips and big gulps.

Fielder is one of my favorite players to watch. I love a batter who goes up to bat every single time with the intent to not necessarily hit home runs, but just f***ing tear the cover off the ball.

Also, for someone with such a long and max effort swing, he doesn't K an enormous amount of time, only around 120-130 times a year, which is pretty good for today when you consider how high the K-rate is for other power hitters around the league.

I hate stupid people. I had this argument yesterday on a different forum with this person who thought not only Carlos Pena was a deserving all-star, but more deserving than PK, Jermaine Dye, Adam Lind, Juan Rivera, and Miguel Cabrera. His main argument was Pena was more deserving because of his OBP and that he is a gold glove defender.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
People choose to go veg for various reasons including health, religion, animal rights, and environmental reasons.

Not sure what his reason was.

Mix of health/animal rights, I remember a story on ESPN saying how his wife gave him a book on how animals were slaughtered for food or something along those lines.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Mix of health/animal rights, I remember a story on ESPN saying how his wife gave him a book on how animals were slaughtered for food or something along those lines.

He may need a nutritionist if he's doing it for health reasons because he's still a tub of goo.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)

What, did he think steaks, pork chops, etc. just grew on trees?

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
What, did he think steaks, pork chops, etc. just grew on trees?

Of course not but there's a huge disconnect of what's on our plate and where it comes from. Ignorance is bliss.

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. "

— Paul McCartney

Yeah, cause if Paul McCartney said it....

We aren't still living in the 19 century. It ain't pretty what happens to the animals, but food is food. I ain't gonna stop eating bacon in the morning because of the way they kill and drain pigs blood, and so on.

If you don't like slaughterhouses, fine. I don't care, more meat for me.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
I hate stupid people. I had this argument yesterday on a different forum with this person who thought not only Carlos Pena was a deserving all-star, but more deserving than PK, Jermaine Dye, Adam Lind, Juan Rivera, and Miguel Cabrera. His main argument was Pena was more deserving because of his OBP and that he is a gold glove defender.

At least he didn't make the he has more home runs and RBI argument.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
I thought oreo filling had ground up bone in it. Or maybe that's twinkies.

Half of the refined sugar on the market has bone char to make it look whiter. Mmmm.

I read that Fielder's wife gave him Skinny b****, which I understand does detail slaughterhouse conditions.

Edit: Actually a quarter and it's processed using bone char--there's not actually bone char in it.

Edited by knightni

SAN FRANCISCO—Struggling Giants pitcher Barry Zito (4.54 ERA), who had shown some progress in his previous two bullpen sessions, gave up a hit on his 14th warm up pitch prior to his start last Tuesday. "You always go in there wanting to bring your best stuff, but sometimes you just don't have it," said Zito in a post-bullpen, pre-game press conference. "I kind of left one hanging there towards the end, and [pitching] Coach [Dave Righetti] got a hold of it." The hit brings Zito's career WHBSP, or Walks and Hits per Bullpen Session Pitched, to a dismal 6.91.

LINK

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 18, 2009 -> 02:17 AM)
If the Red Sox are smart they'll keep Buchholz in the rotation the rest of the season. I would much rather have him than Penny or Smoltz.

They're probably the only team in baseball that has too much quality starting pitching. Brad Penny has been pretty good from the beginning of June until the present. They didn't sign Smoltz just to ditch him after a couple bad starts (he looked much better in his last start against the Royals). And you still have Matsuzaka. But I definitely think Buchholz is a stud. Man that organization has got its s*** together.