Catching

Dick Allen

I've very concerned with the White Sox catching situation, and I am one of the bigger AJP fans you will find. AJ is getting to the age where a good portion of catchers hit a career wall, and if the KW could possibly downgrade from Toby Hall, he has with Chris Stewart and Corky Miller. I know Flowers is thought of as a top prospect, but he is at least a year away, maybe more. A drop in production or an injury which sidelines AJ for a couple of weeks or more, and this team is screwed. I hope KW does something about it soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
I've very concerned with the White Sox catching situation, and I am one of the bigger AJP fans you will find. AJ is getting to the age where a good portion of catchers hit a career wall, and if the KW could possibly downgrade from Toby Hall, he has with Chris Stewart and Corky Miller. I know Flowers is thought of as a top prospect, but he is at least a year away, maybe more. A drop in production or an injury which sidelines AJ for a couple of weeks or more, and this team is screwed. I hope KW does something about it soon.

There are only two logical options here. With the price that Blanco signed for, cost really was not part of the equation for a backup catcher.

1.) Kenny really thinks that Stewart, Miller will pair well with AJ, and that the backup catcher isnt important. His backup plan is Cole Armstrong, who played well in the fall league. A Kenny pre-req for getting a shot.

2,) He has something like IRod on the back burner, and is waiting for starting expectations to fall so he can pair him with AJ and get more bang for his buck.

Yeah, Armstrong makes the most sense if he can play good defense (which he supposedly can). He hasn't hit lefties well in the minors but he's been excellent against righties and it hasn't really been a true platoon at the catcher's position since AJ joined the team, the backup's PA have been split about 45/55 between righties and lefties.

Ivan Rodriguez would be a godsend.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Armstrong looks like, maybe, he could be an OK bridge to Flowers, if necessary. Lucy, if he can come back healthy, can be a good backup choice.

KW seems to have Armstrong behind Miller and Stewart. I don't know if its because he's a lefty hitter or what, but his OBP in AA was .293, so he would seem to need some more experience.

I've been a big Lucy fan ever since I saw him during an infield drill in spring training 2006. I just wonder physically if he can do much in 2009, especially considering the injury and what is required from a catcher.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
Chris Stewart hit .356/.408/.489/.897 in 100 PA against lefties last season at AAA Scranton. Though this follows no pattern for Stewart this could be KW's logic.

Could be, but it makes zero sense to me they don't offer Blanco $1 million or even less and you know what you're getting, unless he's holding out hope for Rodriquez, who I think is done. I would rather have Blanco.

I suppose they could have been in on Blanco but he saw SD as a place he'd be guaranteed more playing time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Could be, but it makes zero sense to me they don't offer Blanco $1 million or even less and you know what you're getting, unless he's holding out hope for Rodriquez, who I think is done. I would rather have Blanco.

I suppose they could have been in on Blanco but he saw SD as a place he'd be guaranteed more playing time.

Yeah Blanco is going to get close to a 50/50 split with Nick Hundley whom he'll get to mentor (something he supposedly enjoys doing) plus he gets to play half his games in and live in San Diego, assuming he doesn't mind losing 100 games I think he made a wise decision.

• 2 weeks later...